| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobby Black
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2010 8:40 pm    

I had the honor of jamming with Bobby Black, Carolyn Martin, along with others at the WMA Festival last month (I know I'm a little late in posting this), and if there was one thing that stood out, it was this: just because you have more strings, you are not necessarily better! Very Happy
I was playing next to him, me on my 12 string SuperSlide, and Bobby on his (correct me if I'm wrong) 8 string Fender. Now I honestly believe that I wouldn't play as well with only 8 strings, but I believe it it because I'm used to it, and wouldn't know how to play certain things. Of course if I was better, there would not be nearly as much of a problem. But anyways, he was just so amazing and it was an honor to be able to play next to him. I also believe that for me at least jamming with musicians that are a lot better than me, it really makes me step up my game, and play better than I usually do, when playing with the band I'm in (that's something that needs to be fixed Smile).
And just in case, I would recommend the 12-string SuperSlide (or any number of string) in a heartbeat.

1981 MSA "The Universal" Bb6 S-12 9/5 | 2024 Excel Robostar Bb6 S-12 8/5 | 2009 MSA SuperSlide C6 S-12 | Peavey Nashville 112
Jeff Hanson

Belmont, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2010 12:24 am    

Matthew,

Believe me, I know what you are saying, “it was an honor to be able to play next to him”. A few years ago I had the same opportunity and it was just so amazing!

Star SD-10,Fender Strat, Martin acoustic, Nashville 112, Fender DeVille
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2010 7:44 am    

I know! When the jam was over, my parents just said "Where did that come from?" I guess it's because he usually went first, so I had something to try to emulate. Not trying to play the exact same thing, but it gave me ideas on what I could play.

1981 MSA "The Universal" Bb6 S-12 9/5 | 2024 Excel Robostar Bb6 S-12 8/5 | 2009 MSA SuperSlide C6 S-12 | Peavey Nashville 112
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2010 11:39 am     Lucky dog!

And it looks like he's showing interest in what you were laying down, Matthew, way cool.