| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Drip Edge Trim replacement for 1968 Fender grills
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2010 3:34 pm    

This subject comes up from time to time. There is an Ebay link to a new manufacturer (320483397189).
I have no link to this, but thought I would list it for those interested in restoring a 1968 Fender grill.
regards,
Lefty
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 1:07 pm    

here's the link

<A>link</a>

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/*NEW-Fender-Princeton,-Deluxe,-Super,-Amp-Drip-Edge*_W0QQitemZ320483397189QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100203?IMSfp=TL100203175013r31267[/url]

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/*NEW-Fender-Princeton,-Deluxe,-Super,-Amp-Drip-Edge*_W0QQitemZ320483397189QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100203?IMSfp=TL100203175013r31267]link[/url]

i don't know what I'm doin' wrong with this url tag
www.davevanallen.net :: ::Last Train Home
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 4:07 pm    

Don't know either Dave.
You can do a search in Ebay for that number and it will take you to the link.
regards,
Lefty
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 4:41 pm    

Link to auction on eBay.

I had to use TinyURL to shrink the link, which removed the asterisks which caused the BBCode to fail.
Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2010 4:32 pm    

does not look original, plus where do you get the corners?

good for a resto project i guess, better than nothing.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2010 5:39 pm    

Right clicking on the photo of the mechanical drawing reveals their supplier. orangealuminum.com.

$6 foot length is about $11.
http://www.orangealuminum.com/edge-trim/edge-trim-19.html

"The original Fender trim was installed with rigid commercial staples, since this is general not available to most enthusiasts we have provide countersunk holes for #4 flat head wood screws.
"

this is nice of them to go to that trouble for their buyers, except that this material already comes that way and they arent doing anything to it but marking it up %500. Confused
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2010 8:28 pm    

Nice catch, Ben.

Quote:
does not look original, plus where do you get the corners?

Yeah, the mitred corners don't really look authentic - here's an example of an original on a Twin Reverb - Click here.

But I think this still looks pretty good for a repro, overall.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2010 10:08 am    

yeah ....the corners are the problem.
they are kinda thin sheet metal. thinner than the drip edge material and are just cut out of sheet and bent into shape. one could fabricate them with some tin snips, some thin sheet aluminum and alot of patience I suppose.

the drip edge material is spot on tho. my buddy just did a 68 twin baffle with some he found locally and you cannot tell it from the original which I suspect fender just bought from their nearest supplier also.

The best thing would be to find a local supplier, save shipping which on 6 foot lengths might add up?, this material is pretty common it seems.
Jon Hyde

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2010 9:55 pm    

Ben and I scoured the internet for a suitable drip edge material for my 68 Twin. It was real hard to find but as he said, I found it locally at a marine supply shop. It was way too expensive and I think they gave me a discount because they liked that I was using it on an amp and not on boat countertop!!

It came pre drilled and I used the holes instead of using staples. I had ordered a baffle from Rick Johnson with a 15” cutout (awesome). I wanted to keep the original baffle in original shape. So I stole the corners (and logo) from an empty Bandmaster Reverb cab I was planning to use and used them on my new baffle. …Now if someone could fabricate those corners…

And Ben is right, the material is right on the money – sorry I don’t have a cooler picture to share.

And, oh yeah, in case you didn’t know – a 68 Twin with a 15” Weber California (ceramic with aluminum dust cap… naturally) sounds killer with a 73 LDG.
Jeff Jackson

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2010 4:45 pm    

Man I have been try to score some trim that looks half way decent for my 68 twin for some time now.. This is exciting. I just went to this website and there are a lot of different sizes of trim to choose from. Could you point me in the right direction as far as what size/style to get? Thanks a million!

$6 foot length is about $11.
http://www.orangealuminum.com/edge-trim/edge-trim-19.html

"The original Fender trim was installed with rigid commercial staples, since this is general not available to most enthusiasts we have provide countersunk holes for #4 flat head wood screws.
"

this is nice of them to go to that trouble for their buyers, except that this material already comes that way and they arent doing anything to it but marking it up %500. Confused[/quote]
Jeff Jackson

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2010 5:05 pm     Re: Drip Edge Trim replacement for 1968 Fender grills

Lefty wrote:
This subject comes up from time to time. There is an Ebay link to a new manufacturer (320483397189).
I have no link to this, but thought I would list it for those interested in restoring a 1968 Fender grill.
regards,
Lefty

Man they ain't giving that stuff away..
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2010 9:08 am    

order from orange, or to avoid shipping just head down to your local aluminum supplier with these dimensions or print out he description and take it to em.

http://www.orangealuminum.com/edge-trim/edge-trim-128.html