| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  On/Off switch for horn in a PA cabinet?
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 8:49 am    

I'm playing a series of gigs with 2 bands--I play guitar (acoustic) in one and steel in the second. I have a rack set-up with power amp, Boss multi-effect/preamp and a separate preamp for my acoustic guitar. What I'd like to do is use my EV PA speaker as my cabinet. Can someone with some electronics wizardry give offer advice on installing a kill switch for the horn/tweeter? I would like to do this today. I have a SPST ready and a soldering iron waiting....

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 9:31 am    

Seems to me that you could cut into either wire (if the horn is not grounded- or the hot wire if it is) and just insert the SPST switch between the 2 cut ends and you'd have it (just like disconnecting one side of the horn).
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 10:06 am    

The trouble with that approach is that you do not bypass the crossover so the highs that would normally be passed to the hf driver are simply ditched altogether. IF that is all you want then you might simply do what real pros do, i.e stuff a rag into or hang a coat over the horn. If, on the other hand, you want all frequencies passed to the lf driver you will need to bypass the crossover and wire the jack directly to the lf driver with a DPDT switch between the jack and the crossover input.

I might mention that besides being much easier to accomplish and also avoiding mods to your speaker cabinet, using the rag/coat method allows you a significant degree of control over how much hf content you want to hear....
Larry Robinson

Peachtree City, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 1:02 pm    

If the tweeter is a piezo, then it's Impedance is Hi, usully in the megohm range and you can put a switch in one side of the connection without degrading the performance of the speaker. OTH, if the tweeter is wired in with cross over network, what I said won't work.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 9:02 pm    

There is a crossover network, so I would want to kill it there and send the high frequencies to the 12".

I played tonight using that cab and with some judicious EQing I was able to get a great sound from the Boss VF-1/Stewart amp/EV cab combo...superb. The first set I ran my Dunn gypsy guitar with an internal Highlander mic into a Joe Meek pre to the Stewart amp. Sounded wonderful.

Normally I use a 1 x 15" cab loaded with an Altec 418H (no horn), but I like EV cab very much.

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 11:49 pm    

There you go, Mike, it sounds like with the other tools you have there may be no real need to mess with the wires at all.

BTW, I was serious about the coat, bomber jackets in particular are excellent for real-time high frequency management, although most often they are used on stage monitors Smile
Adam Sorber

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 7:21 am    

Is your EV cabinet bi-ampable? If so you can use the "low" input on the crossover which will allow full frequency access to the woofer.
Fender Super Twin Reverb
Fender Ultra-linear Twin Reverb