| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Early 1930's round neck Dobro w/case
Mike McCracken

Lincoln, NE
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2010 1:01 pm    

Well, it’s time to thin out the herd a bit and get some Christmas money ready for the family. I have an early 1930’s Dobro brand round neck. This has been my main guitar for the road in the late 90’s. It is certainly a players guitar and not a museum showpiece. Thee has been some repair to the neck and the body. But with that being said, there is certainly something about the tone created by 80 year old wood.
I have made some upgrades in the recent years. First, I had a pickup installed in Austin, TX. It is unique and as far as I know, not many were made. This one was created by Rick Turner of Alembic guitar fame. I used a Roland AD5 preamp with it and had some great responses by fellow resonator fans. More recently, I had Mark Taylor, (Tut Taylor’s son) here in Nashville put a better nut, spun cone, and better coverplate. Mark also routed the hole and the cone fits much better than the old stamped one. The sound is incredible and I use it mostly in open D. Now I use it with a LR Baggs preamp and am very happy with the results. It sounds old and swampy just like I want it. I have also been blessed to own a OMI dobro and have been using that in live performance and session work lately.
I have included many pics but would be happy to let someone come over and try it out for themselves.
Mark also appraised it at between $2,100-2,500 about two years ago. I am entertaining reasonable offers, keeping in mind that I have about $1,700 invested. I prefer a local sale but if the price is right and the postal money order is agreed upon, I would consider shipping providing the buyer covers costs. It also comes with an SKB case. You can also contact me at tonedogz77 at yahoo dot com.

Thanks!
Mike McCracken
Oahu Tonemaster
1949 National Grand Console
Smelly Tele's and Scratchocasters
Mike McCracken

Lincoln, NE
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2010 1:11 pm     More Pics of the Dobro

Here are some more pics. Sorry for the quality. Need to see in person!

Oahu Tonemaster
1949 National Grand Console
Smelly Tele's and Scratchocasters