| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerry Garcia
Alain-Yves Pigeon

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2010 11:13 am    

Hi, just happened to see a film called Festival Express relating a superstars tour of Canada in 1970 and among the bands there was the Gratefull Dead with Jerry Garcia. We saw him play a rehearsal with members of the Flying Burito Brothers in which he played pedal steel guitar but I had never noticed before the way he picked his intrument. At first, I thought he was playing with a flat pick between his thumb and first finger and finger picks in his second and third fingers a la Dick Meiss or Sid McGinnis (Letterman band). But no, apparently he had a thumb pick and a finger pick in his first and third fingers, at least from what I could see he did not use his second finger. Anyway, the least I can say, it did not bother him this much as he was more than capable and he picked rather fast in the small excerpt we got to see. Sneaky Pete was also present in this movie but he was very low profile as we did not see nor heard him much in the film. Everybody seemed to be high or drunk in the train that carried the crew through 3 cities of Canada then, including Janis Joplin and Buddy Guy.

BTW this movie is aired from time to time on PBS and on A&E in Canada.

ayp

Last edited by Alain-Yves Pigeon on 6 Nov 2010 3:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2010 11:33 am    

Buddy Cage is in the movie too for a few seconds.
J. Michael Robbins

Dayton, OH now in Hickory, NC
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2010 11:59 am    

I bought it several years ago. It is still available for purchase in DVD format, and it can also be rented from Netflix and others.

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2010 12:40 pm     Re: Jerry Garcia

Alain-Yves Pigeon wrote:
he did not use his second finger. Anyway, the least I can say, it did not bother him this much as he was more than capable and he picked rather fast in the small excerpt we got to see.

Jerry don't need no stinkin' second finger!

John Cadeau

Surrey,B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2010 1:51 pm     Jerry Garcia

I believe it was on this tour that Jerry first met and heard Buddy Cage play, and that inspired him to suggest to the NRPS that they should consider adding him to their band as Jerry was too busy with The Greatful Dead to continue on with the New Riders.
John
Alain-Yves Pigeon

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2010 1:52 pm    

Thanks Cliff for the picture, it explains everything. It's not this obvious when he plays guitar but you can't miss it when picks his PSG. I think that with the Farina brothers, he was among the most influencial steel players (in a non country environment, at least he got me in this instrument).

BTW, speaking of the Farina brothers, it seems to me that there has been another steel guitar instrumental tune (maybe by them but other than Sleepwalk) that got to be a hit in pop charts in the early 60's but I can't remember the title. Sometimes the air comes back to me (it also has an harmonics lick) but I've never been able to recall it sufficently to write it down. Anybody has an idea?

ayp

Last edited by Alain-Yves Pigeon on 6 Nov 2010 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2010 2:49 pm    

Here's Jerry playing a RangExpander:

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2010 4:58 pm    

Jerry was missing half of his second finger. I imagine it affected his phrasing on steel and banjo a bit.

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2010 8:46 am    

...it seemed to improve Django Reinhardt's picking. Very Happy
Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2010 9:08 am    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsYM7yQTyaQ&feature=related
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2010 12:22 pm     Ahhh, brothers...

...with an axe!
Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2010 9:14 pm    

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. -- Grateful Dead founder Jerry Garcia's guitar-picking hand with a missing portion of his middle finger has been enshrined with a bronze sculpture at the Santa Barbara Bowl.

The sculpture is part of the newly named Jerry Garcia Glen at the wooded entry bowl renovations paid with a $1 million gift from the Brittingham Family Foundation

Embarassed oops...my bad,wrong hand Embarassed
I've got the correct picture here somewhere, I just have to rememeber where I filed it Oh Well
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2010 10:45 pm    

Alain-Yves Pigeon wrote:
Thanks Cliff for the picture, it explains everything. It's not this obvious when he plays guitar but you can't miss it when picks his PSG. I think that with the Farina brothers, he was among the most influencial steel players (in a non country environment, at least he got me in this instrument).

BTW, speaking of the Farina brothers, it seems to me that there has been another steel guitar instrumental tune (maybe by them but other than Sleepwalk) that got to be a hit in pop charts in the early 60's but I can't remember the title. Sometimes the air comes back to me (it also has an harmonics lick) but I've never been able to recall it sufficently to write it down. Anybody has an idea?

ayp

IIRC(and that's a big I)S&J had a song called "Teardrop" a little while after "Sleep Walk".I don't remember anything about it except it was really pretty.The B side of "Sleep Walk" was called "All Night Diner"-kind of bebop-sounding.

Hijack terminated.We now return you to JG.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2010 11:54 pm    

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 7:19 pm    

Cage spent most of the trip set up next to Garcia on the train and yes that's where Garcia got the idea to bring him in to the New Riders. The offer came shortly after the tour ended. At the time Cage was playing with Ian and Sylvia in the band Great Speckled Bird and appearing on their TV show. I believe he's in that movie more than you think.

JB

"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"

"Your FIRST mistake was listening to your wife instead of your steel instructor." (H.Steiner)
Danny Hall

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2010 6:36 pm    

Phil Keaggy never has found the lack of a full set all that difficult either. Funny though, I'm of that Grateful Dead generation and didn't know or didn't remember that Jerry was missing a finger. Just never paid attention I guess. In fact I suppose you might say I was generally somewhat drifty back then. Still, when you get right down to it, a lot of guitarists could easily have gotten by with just a thumb on the right hand. Except for Lefties of course.