| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  nashville 1000 mod
Randy Sevearance

Crouse, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2010 2:59 pm    

Got my mod kit today i installed it and it sounds great took about 15 minutes.Thanks Ken Fox
Emmons D-10, Performance D-10, 2 Nashville 1000s, Nashville 400 W/fox Mod. Peavey VK112, Ibanez delay & Jordan Boss Tone,Hilton V/Pedal, Steeler Choice Seat Loaded,Micheal Kelly Dobro, 84 OMI Dobro, Quilter Steelaire combo,Redeemer,Holy fire pedal.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2010 3:56 pm    

The OPA2134 chip upgrade makes a BIG difference in the sound of a Nashville 1000. I have it in my 1000 and the chip change makes the 1000 sound very close to a Nashville 112.
Robert Cook

Collierville,TN
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2010 2:04 pm    

Second that. The new chips made a world of difference.

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2010 10:28 pm    

Funny, I like the sound of my stock Nashville 1000 pretty well, and I hated the Nashville 112 I bought a year or two ago and returned it to the store the next day, after trying out every possible configuration of control settings. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks!
Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2010 6:35 am    

I have had the mod chips installed in my NV-1000 now for a week. I love the clean sound that they give and it seems to be a smoother tone but it seems to me that the lows are not as fat as before. Is it just me, or have others experienced this?
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2010 3:30 pm    

I didn't notice any loss of lows. I have my EQ set the same as it was before the chip replacement.

I have my lows set on Plus 9.
Curt Langston

Post  Posted 8 Nov 2010 10:40 am    

Quote:
I didn't notice any loss of lows. I have my EQ set the same as it was before the chip replacement.

I have my lows set on Plus 9.

Jack, if you'll construct a more closed back for your amp, you'll find that you do not have to run you BASS at +9. I bet you would see that +6 is plenty.

You probably realize this, but many folks do not understand the importance of proper porting of an enclosure. This would allow your speaker to perform more efficiently. You can get the heavy Tolex from Peavey, and it will add a lot of bottom. This is what I will miss about the Randall Steel Man 500 that I sold.

Not talking about a complete closing of the back, but just about 3/4 of the area. Those N1000s are way wide open.

Added bonus: Less chance of blowing your speaker, trying to get the full lows you want at the stage volume often required.

There are formulas available. The one on the JBL site pertains to loudspeaker enclosures, which have a much more strict tolerance.

My 2 cents.

Winking
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2010 11:57 am    

Thanks, but the chips are as far as I will go with an amp "mod". Beside, the 1000 is my backup amp and mostly "collects dust". My main amp is my Nashville 112 (no chip mod).

Peavey has design engineers and I'll go with what they have designed. I'm an electronics/amp/computer tech and it was hard for me to mod the 1000 as I've always taken the "don't re-engineer" approach.
James Marlowe

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2010 12:19 pm    

While I'm not a huge fan of the N112, I must say Jack's Franklin through his 112 is one fine sounding rig. Doesn't get any better.
NRA Life member
Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2010 1:16 pm    

If you like the 112 with no mod; you will love it with the mod. It would be hard to go back to a no mod 112.
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2010 3:19 am    

I tried the mod in the 112 and didn't like it. Too "brittle" if there is such a term.

With some guitars it may be an improvement, but with my Franklin and Lawrence 710 pickups it was not needed.

I've tried both the OPA2604's and the OPA2134's in my 112. But, the OPA2134's were the better of the two.
Curt Langston

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2010 9:11 am    

Quote:
Peavey has design engineers and I'll go with what they have designed. I'm an electronics/amp/computer tech and it was hard for me to mod the 1000 as I've always taken the "don't re-engineer" approach.

Good point Jack! I wouldn't want to re-engineer either.

Of course you realize that the Nash 1000 cabinet was originally a two 12 cabinet for a six string electric.

Those guitars players aren't as concerned with bottom end as we steel players are.

Yep, to me the Nash 1000 is way too wide open..........

IMHO

Winking
John McConnell

Yuba City, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2010 5:22 pm    

Got my chips today and installed them with no trouble. Sounds great, Thanks Ken for great service and a great product.
Quilter Steelaire-Fender Twin Reverb