| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning Problem-need help
Pete Storms

Spokane, Washington
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2010 10:15 am    

Howdy Folks;

I'm using the E9th tuning and when tuning the 3rd or "G#" string open (no pedal), then tune to "A" (B pedal down) and giong back to open (no pedal) again the "G#" is flat. After re-tuning to "G#" again and pressing the (B pedal down) again the "A" is sharp. It doesn't matter how may times I re-tune, either the "G#" is right on and the "A" is sharp, or the "A" is right on and the "G#" is flat.
Does anybody have any ideas about what could be the cause and remedy for this problem?

Thanks for any help;
Pete Storms Confused
Ian Sutton

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2010 10:19 am    

Sounds like you might not have enough pedal travel on your B pedal. I would start there.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2010 10:43 am    

You are very likely "overtuned". Its a common problem. Back off all your nylon hex tuners at the end of your guitar till they don't do anything. Completely loose. Then tune your open strings from the top of the guitar. Now tune your endplate tuners. Those things can get tightened up over time and jam up the changer. I hope that makes sense and ends up helping.

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2010 11:08 am    

Maybe you don't have to loosen all of the tuning nuts. First try just loosening the one that tunes the raise on the high G# string.
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2010 12:06 pm    

I agree totally Ernest.

Sometimes the ball end of a broken string can get down in the changer; that can be a devil to find. Check for that first dear person.

Use a strong flashlight. If you do not find it, turn the guitar upside down and operate the pedal a number of times. If it is wedged in there, it may fall out.

Worth a try. Smile

c.

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2010 3:58 pm    

I shouldn't admit to this, but, after 25 yrs of continuous playing, I decide to thoroughly clean my steel. You know, take all the strings off and de-grease and de-nicotine all the fittings and such. I found 23 ball ends with the little strings attached, in the pocket end, surrounding the changer. I never had one hang up in the changer, but, it amazed me that there were so many there. I "assumed" they all fell out when I turned the steel upside down, to put it in the case. So.... Looking for a stuck ball end is a definite positive approach.
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2010 9:01 pm    

Pete,

Everyone has given good advice. However, I should think it should first be established what kind of changer system you have. Before anyone can answer correctly.

Such as a Push/Pull, Pull/Release, or an All/Pull?

Or did I miss that in my quick reading?
Pete Storms

Spokane, Washington
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2010 11:55 am    

Howdy folks;

After close examination I think I have solved the problem. I found that the bellcrank which moves the pull-rod for that B pedal had smehow slipped on it's shaft. After re-aligning it and tightening it down I was able to get it back in tune. While It was on the table I did a lube-job on it as well. It seems to be holding in tune for now so I'll play the heck out of it and see if it stays in tune.
Thank you folks for all the ideas to help me with this.

Pete Storms Very Happy
Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2010 11:09 am     Tuning problem-need help

I recently changed my strings and while adjusting the pedals and levers at the end plate I noticed two pieces of debris stuck in there! I dug out two pieces of styrofoam ,or wadded up paper with a pair of tweezers. Stuff happens.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme