| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DSSG&MA Gulfport, MS
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2004 6:07 am    

Greetings: The next session/meeting of our DSSG&MA club will be on Feb 7. VFW on Dedeaux Road, Gulfport, Ms.
I have just been informed by Dr. Bob Strum that he will be in attendance to debut his new CD, Nashville made at the Boots Randolph studios. We are very proud of this for him and looking forward to Dr Bob's presence and playing. Would love to see you all here again, and let me know if you desire a spot on our program. We have lots of fun and plenty of good food.
Thanks for this posting, b0b.

Bill Stafford
Bob Strum

Anniston Alabama
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2004 11:18 am    

Thanks Bill for the plug. Lots of fun doing the old love songs and even have our friend Rob Parker doing a couple of solos. But, I'm ready to hear Bill play that Excel with 300, no 200 no maybe 14 strings!! Best regards.
Bob
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2004 11:21 pm    

Bill, I sure wish I could be there! I hope to bring my band sometimes this year! Maybe in April?

I sure want to hear you play that Excel! I saw RJ Buras' jewel a few week ago.

My very best to ya'll!
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2004 5:47 am    

Hi Reggie, nice to hear that great news. Keep me informed. It will be a big pleasure and priviledge for all of us to be able to meet and hear you play. Just let me know the time frame that is comfortable for you.
Bob, the pleasure is all mine. So glad you will be here. All are looking forward to you and yours and your music. Thanks.

Bill Stafford
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2004 6:43 am    

Hi Guys I was wondering if any of you ever ran into a steel player by the name of Bernie Sparleen or his Girl freind or could be his wife now Eveon Collins. They move to Mississippi a few years back.I was not playing steel back then that is about 20 years ago. Any imformation would be appreciated.I would like to get in touch with Bernie as he had had a stroke the last I heard a few years back.I did see them in Rhode Island a couple years ago.
Sam White

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 24 January 2004 at 06:46 AM.]

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2004 7:45 am    

Bill

You gonna be able to get Hank Corwin on the next show? Go on drag him out, he's been retired long enough

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 24 January 2004 at 11:18 AM.]

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2004 8:25 pm    

Hey Bill......been offline for a while now, got her up and running again.....If schedule will allow, I certainly plan on being there on the 7th of Feb. Save me a slot, close to the beginning of the day, as I might have to leave early.......thanks.....HAL

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL
'85 Emmons LeGrande D-10, Hilton Vol. Pedal, BJS Birthstone bar, Rack w/Evans Pre-amp, Lexicon MPX100 (2)1501-4 BW's IN PRO Cabs, & a Sound Tech PL500 Power Amp.

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2004 5:47 am    

Hal, you have the opening shot. We all need to hear you play our National Anthem over and over. None better. You open the show with lots of class and perfect playing of that difficult song. Music will start at high noon. Looking forward to you and your talents. Thanks..
And don't forget that Dr. Bob will be here to introduce his new cd and meet all the DSSG&MA members, fans and friends.

Thanks for the support.

Bill Stafford
Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2004 6:58 am    

Bill and Hal,

I sure wish I could be there for the show. The one I attended recently was a real blast, and I had the opportunity to meet some great people, including R. J. Buras and Pee Wee Whitewing.

For those of you who have never heard Bill Stafford or Hal Higgins, you are really missing some great talent and you ought to try to attend one of the DSSG&MA shows. Bill, on his new 14-string Excel will lay some unbelievable sweet stuff on you. He was awarded Jerry Byrd's "Lifetime Achievement Award" last year in St. Louis. Jerry insisted that Bill receive the award and said that if he played pedal steel he would want to sound like Bill. I have a session scheduled for March at R J Buras' studio, and I am honored to have Hal play piano and sing a couple of his outstanding vocals on the album -- "You'll Never Walk Alone" and "The Lord's Prayer".

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2004 7:56 am    

Thank-you Bill....I'm honored that you would want me to start things off again. Am looking forward to it. I'm looking to show off these new speaker cabinets that T.A. Gibson built for me.....man these are some fine looking cab's. I am also wanting to meet Dr. Bob Strum and hear him play as well.

Mr. Ayers (Roy) Really wish you could make it to this next one, too. Will miss you. I am honored, also, to be asked to both play and sing on your forthcoming project at RJ's this March....it should be a blast. I have been looking over the material, and this will be one more great project.

Come on DSSG&MA members, let's support this show/jam the way we did Decembers.....I'm sure the food and fellowship will be just as great.......

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL
'85 Emmons LeGrande D-10, Hilton Vol. Pedal, BJS Birthstone bar, Rack w/Evans Pre-amp, Lexicon MPX100 (2)1501-4 BW's IN PRO Cabs, & a Sound Tech PL500 Power Amp.

MALCOLM KIRBY

Crofton, KY USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2004 2:55 pm    

Hey John, I saw Hank and talked with him a little while when I was in Biloxi 12/18-20.
Ben ODell

Agricola, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2004 5:33 pm    

Got ole Wayne's leash hooked up. We gonna be there. Sure hope Bill don't beat me to the chow line. Looks like the makings of another great show.

Tighten up Hal. If you do both of those songs to open, you'll have to be. Such a great talent !!!!!!!! See ya'll then,,,Ben
Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2004 10:11 pm    

Thanks for them kind words Ben.....You're a great talent, too....and it seems like every time everybody beats me to the chow line. If the food gets any better than the last time, I don't know what I'll do. C-Ya'll there on the 7th of Feb.....and you's right about it gonna be a goodun......Ben...don't tighten up on Waynes leash too much now. (LOL)..........HAL

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL

Bob Strum

Anniston Alabama
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2004 4:52 am    

Hey Bill, looking forward for the fellowship and music. We're just leaving for N'ville to complete the CD. Any chance that Pee Wee will be there? I'll be playing his guitar!
Best wishes for all the guys and your show.
Sincerely, Bob
John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2004 6:26 am    

Doc
Better watch it, Pee Wee hears how good you make that guitar sound , He might want it back.

Wish I could be with you guys, They are having more shows than my SS Check will cover these days. Got all the time in the world to go. Problem is I want to go to all of them.

I'm committed to helping Buddy at Saluda and That Keeps me busy and out of trouble. Will see You there In three weeks.

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 02 February 2004 at 06:28 AM.]

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2004 6:31 am    

Malcolm
Get your butt to Saluda, Would love to see you again. You can hitch a ride with Rob Parker.

Heard a Rumor that Some Ole Phart with the Initials B.S. might be there in May.
Dunno, could be I started it.

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 02 February 2004 at 06:35 AM.]

Bob Strum

Anniston Alabama
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2004 9:41 am    

Hey John, thanks for the kind words, but when Pee Wee tears the fire out of these axes, I get a chance to let the smoke clear and soothe those strings!!
See ya in Saluda....Bob
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2004 7:05 pm    

HI Folks, well-things are gearing up again and our big band stand is just waiting to be filled up this Saturday, Feb. 7. Music starts at high noon and goes until the cows come home. All are anxious to hear Dr. Bob Strum. Jerry Jay and Ben O'Dell keep us all in line.
And yes, John Floyd, that is a good rumor. Keep it going and see you in Saluda if you promise to visit with us when the ss payments catch up.
Bob, Mike Brewer has been trying to email you. I gave him your cell numbers so maybe he has called. And that song selection on your new cd is outstanding. You will be very pleased with the guys in the band with you here in Gulfport. They will be able to play all those songs for you and you will be amazed at the upright bass playing and vocals of Ed Clark. We are most fortunate to have him with us. He and Ben O'Dell trade off and both will do you very proud.
A little story about Ed's talents: One year while I was on the St. Louis program, Ed was playing bass and singing "Bouquet of Roses". Wade Ray was one of the fiddle players. While Ed was singing, Wade walked over to me on stage and asked "where did you find him?" To me that was the best compliment one singer could ever give or receive from another great talented musician. So all you folks who have yet to hear Ed sing and play his big upright bass, come on down this Saturday and you will be in for a special treat.
Thanks.

Bill Stafford
Bob Strum

Anniston Alabama
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2004 2:49 am    

Hey Bill, Mike called me yesterday and had a great introduction. A man after my own heart! We like the same music and style. I'm glad there are still those that miss the harmony and words of songs that still linger. The Pedalmaster is ready and I hope to be! See you soon,
Thanks again, Bob Strum
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2004 4:44 am    

Bob, glad you and Mike got together. Mike is full of those pretty chords just like Chalker was-and I knew you two would deserve each other. Let me know about what time you will be arriving Friday so we can plan the "Friday Night Frolics" at my house. Want to give you and yours a rousing welcome.
I know Pee Wee Whitewing will be envious of the hands his Pedalmaster is in.
Stay in touch.
And I have received a most welcome email that one of the steel guitar legends here on the coast will do his best to be in the audience.--Bobby Theroux (hope I spelled that right). Bobby is recovering from cancer and we will give him special honors this day.

Bill Stafford
Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2004 12:09 pm    

Bill....can hardly wait for Saturday to arrive, and am looking forward to hearing Dr. Bob Strum.....C-ya Saturday AM. HAL

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2004 2:46 pm    

You guys are in for a treat with Doc and If you have a toothache, forget it, the only way he will do surgery is to knock the tooth out with his bar.

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 03 February 2004 at 02:47 PM.]

Charlie Moore

Deville, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2004 4:52 pm    

Well Bill,i hate i can't be there,would love to fellowship with you fine folk's,i have never felt as welcome as you folk's made Sue,Huey,Dot,and my self feel,but next one we WILL be there.........
Charlie.......
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2004 7:34 pm    

Charlie, you and all yours will be missed. See you on the first Sat. in April. Bring everybody.

Bill Stafford
Bobby Duncan

Pensacola, FL, USA (these days)
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2004 2:03 pm    

Bill,
I won't be able to make it, unfortunately, but would you, or someone please tell Jerry Jay I said hello, and I sure would love to hear from him.
Thanks,
Bobby Duncan