| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Maurice Anderson- An open apology
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2010 7:47 am    

Maurice, in the past I have done some sniping at your posts that may have contributed to stopping you from posting here on the Forum. I feel bad about it. Let me say that in the spirit of Christian fellowship and Forum decorum I apologize to you. I noticed that you haven't been posting, and if my decorum actions here on the Forum has affected that then I am truly sorry. We don't always agree, but your expert opinion here is highly valuable. This Forum is an immensely valuable source of information for us here who struggle with this wonderous instrument. It needs all of the expert advise and opinions that it can get, and you are indeed an expert.
Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2010 8:27 am    

Just stating my opinion on this & not butting in here.
Kevin, That is very nice of you & very well said.
We sometimes do not agree but we do need to be aware of the other person's feeling at the same time. This new way to commute is very hard to show your feelings & sometimes that gets mis-interrurpted(sp? ) too.
Very big of you to make a public apoligy IMHO..
Way to go Kevin..
Ron

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head Smile

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.
Tommy Gibbons

Post  Posted 18 Oct 2010 8:55 am    

Done with CLASS, Kevin!!! Well Done...

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2010 9:29 am    

Kevin - not only is Maurice an expert (of the highest order) but more importantly he has the courage of his own convictions. He also enjoys sensible debate. Have a read of his autobiography - it's a great read and has a number of historical references within it, especially the references to Fender steel guitars.

ps.. love your cases.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2010 9:40 am    

I tip my hat to you Kevin, well done.
Hook

Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2010 11:14 am    

Kevin H......It's always uplifting in spirit when dignity and character is elevated by those like yourself who have the courage to make their feelings known on a forum.

Please let me assure you, I accept your apology and Forgive you for whatever you may have felt was offensive to me.

It's also uplifting to know we share the same values and convictions. You have my highest respect, and I hope to someday soon have the privilege of shaking your hand and reiterating face to face that which I have stated.
Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2010 12:54 pm     Pride and Courtesy; Two Great Attributes

Very Happy Whoa! Whoa! Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Congratulations to two fine understanding individuals; to you, Kevin, for being a New Yorker having the courtesy to apologize to a great fellow picker, and to you, Maurice, for being such a Gentleman to accept Kevin's apology. One of the reasons why I love the commaderee of this SGF.. Very Happy Very Happy....Bernie

Jefferson City, MO, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2010 1:40 pm    

Two guys with tons of class!
Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2010 4:16 pm    

I need a hug! Razz
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2010 5:20 pm    

Get a room.

I'll be over later.

Smile

EJL
Bob Simons

Kansas City, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2010 3:27 am    

Next thing ya' know, people are going to start being nice to Bill Hankey!

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2010 4:35 am    

Quote:
...and I hope to someday soon have the privilege of shaking your hand and reiterating face to face that which I have stated. -MSA-

A good day to leave the Rolex at home...

JUST KIDDING.

I get a kick out of Reece's "Acceptance Speeches". the "HOF" one was one for the books..

It takes a lot more character to make an apology than to accept one. I too give kodus to Mr Hatton. I say that because of the two parties "involved", I found Mr Anderson's comments to be far more insulting.

That's just me though.

Smile

EJL
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2010 4:46 am    

Eric, your posting in this thread reveals a lot about your character. You are a master of wrong-time-wrong-place. You should try to cultivate some sense of discretion and decorum, if it's not too late.

And I doubt "that's just me, though".
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2010 7:22 am     I have to say that is about as over the top as I've heard

Eric, who the heck do you hang around with that is such a bad influence on you. I know there is a nice guy in there some where.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2010 7:47 am    

Guys, fwiw, During my "Convention attendance years" I always seeked out Forum guys who were controversial... had to "meet 'em in person", if you will.
Every one of them was a real nice guy in person.
This is just another one of those cases.
Every one of us has a phone number. If anything written on a forum is important enough to follow-up with a phone call, then call the guy and talk it through. You will feel great about it... it will take a load off your mind if something someone said is "bugging" you.
Some folks have received phone calls from me, I've been to folks homes for a visit after a heated forum exchange, and although things don't often change on the forum, things sure changed from getting mad or insulted by someones writings, to putting a funny smile on my face.
pete b.
503-621-8209
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2010 8:32 am    

Great message, Pete. I enjoyed meeting you and your dad (Jerry?) years ago at Scotty's.

I missed the underlying dust-up(s), but am glad to see things culminating in a good way.

That said, I too should apologize to Reece. I mean how could I have allowed the Dallas Cowboys to slip to 1 and 4 without sending him a single e-mail. Wink

Seriously, get out there and make it a great day for your or someone else.
Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2010 8:38 am     Maurice Anderson

Maurice Anderson is a steel guitar Icon. It's okay to discuss topics with him, even disagree with him, but he certainly has earned and deserves our utmost respect.

Bill Duncan

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2010 8:47 am    

You know what? This is a personal thread of apology and acceptance between two human beings. We are privileged to witness it and it is wholly inappropriate for someone to come on here bearing his age-old grudges and throw dirt around.

Pete, thanks for your suggestion, but I have better things to do at the convention than to seek out rude people to see if they'll surprise me in person.
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2010 8:54 am    

Well said, Mr. Cohen.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2010 10:17 am    

I just tumbled on to this thread, so here are my thoughts.

To Kevin: Well said. It says a lot about you that you are made a public apology. You have always had a lot of respect from people here, now you have even more.

I want to say a few things about Reece. First, as everybody knows, He is a dedicated Christian, and I am Jewish. But although we have known each other for around 15 years, he has never once tried to convert me to his faith.

I wish I had a dollar for every time some well-meaning person with love in their heart tried to “save” me by telling me that my religions is false and God will punish me unless I abandon it and convert to their beliefs. I’m sure people who believe in what is called “witnessing” are unaware of how offensive it is to those of us who are of other faiths, but that’s not the point. The point is that Reece has always shown respect for the fact that I have different beliefs than he does, and has never dissed those beliefs by trying to change me.

The second thing is that Reece and I not only are of different faiths, we are also on opposite sides of the political fence, and have had many discussions, some of them heated, about the issues facing our country. But it has never been personal, and has never turned ugly. In the end we had to agree to disagree. Neither of us will ever change the other’s mind but we don’t let that interfere with our personal relationship.

Finally, and perhaps most relevant to this forum, when I was working on my first CD (Firebird Suite) I was really anxious about how it would be received. I was afraid that all the steel players would reject it because it was not country, and the people who normally listen to that kind of music would reject it because it was played on a steel.

More than once I was tempted to give up. But Reece kept encouraging me to continue. I had sent him some preliminary tapes, and he was extremely supportive, telling me I was on to something, and that I should keep going etc.

Ay a time when I was very discouraged, Reece was there for me. His encouragement was just the right shot in the arm I needed to keep going. We’ll never know, but had it not been for his encouragement and emotional support I might not have finished the recording.

Reece, I will always be grateful to you for that. It’s one of the reasons I bought a Millennium.

Finally, to Eric. We know you’ve recently been through a very difficult and painful bout with cancer. For all I know you may still be dealing with it. This is the kind of thing that can change your outlook on life, and yours seems to be very sour.

Now I have no idea of what you’ve been through, or may still be experiencing, but hey, you’re still alive.

There’s an old song by the Carter family: “Keep On The Sunny Side Of Life.” Those are not just words to a song. There is both beauty and ugliness everywhere you look. It’s easy, especially if you’re in or recently have been in pain, to only see the ugliness.

Look for the beauty Eric. As the song says: “It will brighten up your day, it will help in every way.”
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2010 10:36 am    

i dunno...i kinda think a private apology to reece would have been the way to go. a forum statement seems to be aimed more at getting everyone to pat you on the back. maybe you shouldn't say things that require apologies in the first place.

but what do i know...i find eric entertaining.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2010 10:46 am    

I highly resent that implication. I do not have Mr. Anderson's phone number or email. My prime motivation on this thread was to promote peace and understanding not only between Mr. Anderson and myself, but to all members here posting on the Forum. You clearly need to take some of your own advise. Your negative remarks here are not welcomed.

Last edited by Kevin Hatton on 19 Oct 2010 12:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2010 11:34 am    

It's disappointing when a dignified and heartfelt statement is subjected to the risk of being minimized or diluted in any way.

I have learned through experience that both Forgiving or asking for Forgiveness, requires the same amount of soul searching.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2010 12:05 pm    

Apology made and accepted. I see no reason to leave this open for "debate". Topic closed.