| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ralph Mooney: "Another Day, Another Dollar"
Fish

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2010 6:34 am    

I was half asleep with the TV on after midnight last night when I half-dreamed I heard Ralph Mooney's unmistakable steel tone on the airwaves. I opened my eyes to see and hear a Volkswagen Jetta commercial -- featuring Wynn Stewart's version of "Another Day, Another Dollar." Mooney sounded just like the King that he truly is.

So was it too good to be true and only a dream? Or has anyone else heard this Madison Avenue miracle?

That "high lonesome desert sound" never sounded any better.
Fish

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2010 6:52 am    

I found the link here...I'm glad I wasn't dreaming:

http://www.popisms.com/TelevisionCommercial/22623/Volkswagen-Commercial-for-Volkswagen-Jetta-2.aspx
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2010 7:52 am    

Too cool!
Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2010 9:19 am    

Love it!

In fact love it so much I forgive all those Jetta drivers that are predisposed to weaving in and out of traffic and cutting me off!
Les Green

Jefferson City, MO, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2010 1:23 pm    

I'm hearing it here probably 3 or 4 times a day. I was like Mr. Fish the first time I heard it. Half asleep and thought I was dreaming.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2010 2:27 pm    

The commercial is called "moonlighting" on youtube !

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2010 2:56 pm    

Russ Blake and I saw this on a Jet Blue flight back from Long Beach, and we were both slack-jawed!

Years ago, VW had ads that featured two consecutive tracks from the BEAT AT CINECITTA VOL. 1 compilation of groovy 60's/70's Italian soundtrack music, so the precedent for surprisingly hip music choices in their advertising is established in my mind, but I digress......
Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2010 4:41 pm    

This is great! A commercial that I actually like. Very Happy

I don't know how the marketing gurus came up with this, but I'm glad they did.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2010 6:28 pm    

I don't usually care for ad's that use songs I really like in the them. In this case, I just like hearing the song anyway. The rhythm track has a percussion sound in it that I think Hag borrowed for Working Man Blues. I love the Moon, I picked up a collection of Warren Smith today that has Moon all over it from the early 60's.
Ian Miller

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2010 12:43 am    

Jeff Keyton wrote:
The rhythm track has a percussion sound in it that I think Hag borrowed for Working Man Blues.

Sounds like the same glass ashtray, doesn't it?
David Evans

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2010 4:25 am     vw ad

Finally some real country music on TV!
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2010 3:18 pm    

I really love Ralph Mooney and every time I hear him I like him even more. He is a one-of-kind.

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2010 4:28 pm     Wynn stewart and The Man, Mooney

Very Happy Whoa! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Fish : Thanks for posting that commercial here on the forum; I heard it the other day and said to myself " That sounds like Wynn Stewart with Ralph Mooney's playin in the back ground.Both of them have always been two of my favorites in Good old classical country music. It does amaze me that they would use a tune so country for an auto Ad.. Thanks for sharing that with us..Bernie Whoa! Whoa! Rolling Eyes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2010 4:16 pm    

Any ideas as to who is getting the royalty checks?
Fish

Post  Posted 21 Oct 2010 7:11 am    

Roual,
I've never played on anything that has made it to the national level like this one, so I'm no expert on residuals (I suspect Mr. Bovine or Mr. Franklin might know something about this subject). Residuals are a percentage of your initial union scale fee for the original session. The amount is paid out every 13 weeks the commercial runs and the AFM handles the payments. Given that this song was recorded in the late 50's for the Challenge label, it's possible that there were no union contracts involved, sad to say. Wynn Stewart wrote the song and his current publisher Sony/ATV's Nashville office (who also happen to own the master recordings for all the Wynn Stewart/ Challenge sides) most certainly made the licensing deal for this usage, so there there should be publishing money there somewhere for Wynn Stewart's heirs and possibly musicians residuals for the players as well. I hope and pray that King Mooney will see some mailbox money for this one. I heard it again yesterday....it's everywhere!

UPDATE: I was wrong; "Another Day" was a 1962 single for Wynn Stewart and reached #27 on the country charts.

Last edited by Fish on 21 Oct 2010 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2010 7:28 am    

I also heard the commerical Fish. I'm hoping for a trend ! Smile
Hook
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2010 10:05 am    

I've never owned a Wynn Stuart record,Could someone recommend which one to get?Thanks Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Fish

Post  Posted 21 Oct 2010 11:47 am    

Hi Stu,
Long time, no see...I hope the Great Northwest is treating you well.
Get "The Very Best of Wynn Stewart 1958-62" at Amazon, which is some of the better Challenge stuff...these tracks now all come from the same well, licensed from Sony/ATV. "Wishful Thinking" is one of my all-time favorite country shuffles with that deep Bakersfield groove and Mooney playing some truly classic pedal steel. Money well-spent!
Steve Fishell
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2010 1:52 pm    

Quote:
"Wishful Thinking" is one of my all-time favorite country shuffles

+1 Smile
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2010 2:35 pm    

Steve,Thanks I'll check it out,Somehow I'm still kickin'Hope you are well me Amigo! Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2010 9:11 pm    

The Holy Grail is of course the 10 CD Bear Family Box Set...stop by the Texas Musik booth at the big steel shows - ask for Juergen Wink - & he'll most definitely be able to hook you up Very Happy

Also - of course not Wynn - check out "Buck Owens Sings Harlan Howard" originally out on Capitol in I think 1961, but reissued by Sundazed - pure, unadulterated Moon Cool...his ride on "Heartaches For A Dime (approx 1:02" to 1:30") should be in the frigging Smithsonian!!! IMHO

Last edited by Greg Simmons on 23 Oct 2010 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2010 4:42 am    

Several years ago I spent an afternoon at a friend's house in Hamburg. He is an avid music collector, and he introduced me to the Bear Family Wynn Stewart box set. I put it on and couldn't stop listening to it, marveling at the genius of Ralph Mooney. The man did so much with so little in terms of the fancy equipment that we all seem to need nowadays. Tasteful, emotional, and elegant steel guitar mastery.

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Last edited by Tommy Detamore on 23 Oct 2010 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2010 10:18 am    

Exactly Tommy, it was all in his heart, not his equipment.

CColumbia City, IN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2010 1:30 pm    

Just for kicks, why don't we all add this to our song list? I think the band I am in is going to.
Ray Campbell

St. Robert, MO
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2010 9:57 am    

Stu asked which Wynn Stewart to buy. My answer is simply: any and all of them. I've got all of Wynn's stuff and there is not a single one of them that is not a treasure. I do have favorites, though. Such as Angels Don't Lie, Fallin For You and others. Probably my least favorite was his biggest, Its Such A Pretty World Today. But I digress. Stu, you can't go wrong.