| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ETSGA w/Johnny and Joan Cox
Corky Owens

Owensboro, KY USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2004 8:56 pm    

I made the 2 hour trip to Tyler to see Johnny and Joan play and let me tell you it was great. Both had great tone and played there hearts out. As did Bob McCormick.He had a little trouble with his guitar.(Why don't you give me that old Emmons and buy a new guitar, Bob.)But the show was great and worth the drive. Even in the rain.

------------------
Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2004 12:44 pm    

Hey Corky...you beat me to it!! I must ditto Corky's remarks. Johnny's beautiful MSA was great sounding as usual(but every steel sounds super that he plays)and his playing was so smooth and clean! At the end of the program, Johnny did his tribute solo to Curly Chalker...some of the greatest C6th playing ever.

Joan's playing was superb and tone to die for on her black Zum (I still think she made Johnny sweat to keep up to her C6th playing on the first song HA)Someone asked who was the better player and who had the better tone between Johnny or Joan...it was a draw, they were both just awesome except Pat Coyne and I both agreed that Joan definitly beat Johnny by a very large margin for looks!! HA

Bob McCormick was also a treat to hear on his '76 Emmons. What a super person as well as a super player!

Charles Tilley and his team are working hard at putting on first class steel shows in eastern TX and deserve a hand for their super efforts. The house band also deserves to be commended for their playing.

Corky Owens

Owensboro, KY USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2004 7:04 am    

Hey, Bill. I was very brief because i walked in the door and posted. You said a lot that needed to be said. You were right about everything you said. Anyone that didn't see these two, missed a great show. Corky.
Charles Tilley

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 3:56 am    

Corky and Bill-----------

It was so good to have you both in Tyler and to finally get to meet you in person. Thank you for the nice comments about ETSGA. We work hard and have so many great people that care enough to help us out. Our list of players we have had grows each month and now it's time to add two more to that list.

MR. Corky Owens and Mr. Bill Simmons!!!!!!
TOGETHER. (Corky got top billing because I met him first

Just get yourselves ready for a trip to Tyler again. I'm looking at March if all works out well with you both.

Just think, Johnny and Joan and now Bill and Corky. Just think about them apples. HOW SWEET IT IS!!!!!!!!!

You both will hear from me.

------------------
Charles Tilley , President
"East Texas" Steel Guitar Association
Bullard, Texas
1973 MSA D-10 Classic, RV3, Nashville 400

Joan Cox

Eustace, TX USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 5:48 am    

Johnny and I want to thank Charles and all the nice folks at the ETSGA for inviting us to play at their meeting this past Sunday. We appreciate you guys who helped us carry in our gear in the rain. I thought there was a great turn-out despite the rain. We had a great time and enjoyed the brunch before we played. The band did a fine job too. Thanks so much for having us. Maybe by March I'll be able to be there and get to see Bill Simmons and Corky Owens play. Hope so..

Joan Cox