| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Seeking advice on an upcomming gig
Igor Fiksman

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 10:27 am    

Well, I landed a really cool gig. I am equally excited and mortified. I got a call from a guy who I worked for as a sound engineer a few times. He is a well known and established Jazz violinist, arranger and promoter. He is putting together a one time performance in a large local theater for a specific charity event. Huge audience, high ticket prices - the works. The music consists of his arrangements of some jazz/swing standards done in the country swing style, something he calls "nashville swing". The band will have dual violins, piano, guitar, double bass, drums, clarinet and steel. Everyone but the steeler (me) is a full time professional jazz musician with tons of experience. My jazz experience consists of playing bass in a college jazz ensemble years ago, I could sight read bass charts back then. I've never played the steel from a chart, I do play about 70-100 gigs a year in a honkytonk band. He had seen me play and is confident I can do the gig. I am not that confident.
I know that most of you would approach this gig with C6, I only play E9. I will spend any free time I have practicing and getting ready, I think my best approach is knowing each tune's melody and structure by heart so I don't get lost. The gig is 20 days away and we'll only have one full band rehearsal.
Can anyone offer any advice, tips or warnings for me? How would you approach this type of music on E9. Am I in over my head? Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks.

Britain
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 10:50 am    

Clamp the 'E' lever in the activated position, and play 7 frets below (or 5 frets higher) than the key you are in eg. if you are in the key of F, play on the 6th fret, and make sure that, no matter what strings you are playing, you hit the seventh string at all times Very Happy
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 11:06 am    

I would find out exactly where he wants the Steel to shine (for each tune), then focus on my work for those spots, and remain silent the entire rest of time.
"Comping" on steel is the best way to make the whole band sound out of tune.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 11:19 am    

Show them you have class. Wear a Tuxedo, and leave your shoes and socks off.
Igor Fiksman

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 11:28 am    

HAHAHAHA, Kevin, great idea, shock them with a nutty outfit. That way they won't even notice my poor playing. Now that is thinking outside the box. Laughing

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 11:31 am    

It seems to me that he wants the sound of the steel more than a virtuoso that can burn up the strings. So, play simple, tasty, stuff and stay within your abilities. Don't try to be who you aren't.

A steel produces a unique sound that speaks volumes via simple phrases. Take advantage of that.

You're on the right track....memorize the song structures and keep it simple. You'll sound great and impress the audience with you're amazing sensitivity!
Whip Lashaway

Monterey, Tenn, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 12:01 pm    

I would recommend charting out the songs with notations where to play and little memory triggers to remind you what you had worked out. That's exactly what I'm doing next saturday night. I only had about a week and a half to work out 31 songs for a show. Also, remember above all in situations like this, less is more. Don't try to impress anyone, just be who you are behind the guitar. Do that and you'll be fine, you'll have fun, and they'll love you. Good luck and God Bless. Whip
Excel S12 8x9 blue
Excel S12 8x9 black
Paul Crawford

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 1:37 pm    

You'll be more at home than most of the Pros. Expect them to be mostly tethered to charts and other than a solo, very predictable. Since you've been playing by ear, you'll be just fine as soon as you get into the groove.

Expect very few tunes to be 1/4/5 songs. You'll find most will be some combination of 1/6/2/5 with a 4 chord showing up mostly at the end of the phrase.

Find an internet radio station that plays 40s and 50s jazz standards then play along until your ear recognizes the changes, (shouldn't really matter what song it is.) If he's going for a Nashville version of western swing, you'll find it's just another formula and that you can quickly adapt.

Past that, just play in tune and leave plenty of room for the others. Chart out any songs that require you to twin with the strings or have you as the featured solo. Remember that it's up to the arranger to make the mix sound good, not the individual players. Then relax and have fun.
Michael Robertson

Ventura, California. USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 2:08 pm     There you go!

“He had seen me play and is confident I can do the gig.”
There you go!
Listen to these guys and take their advice.
The fact that you are worried about it tells me you will do fine.
Learn what you can of the material and do your best.
You might surprise yourself.
Thomas Butler

Robbinsdale, MN
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 2:28 pm    

And remember that, if you are worried, tequila is the BEST friend a musician can have. 2 or 3 or 6 shots and you'll forget all about what had you worried, you'll relax and you'll find yourself playing better than ever.

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 5:17 pm    

I'm kinda with most here.

Be cool. Keep it simple, and maybe what hasn't been emphasized, is sit back and LISTEN.

I know the song's not gonna come around a second time, but if you give a good listen right-off-the-bat,
you may glean something; rather than if you would be playing along; ie NOT LISTENING.

As stated before, and if not sure, play less, and try to throw in some tasty fills.

It's gonna be a great experirnce for you. Believe it.

By all means, make sure your steel is in tune.

If you aren't sure of a chord, just play a close note, or two. That's it.

Good luck. Smile
Igor Fiksman

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2010 7:07 pm    

The gig was great!!!!
I had my wife snap some photo evidence.

It did reveal a nice profile of the beer gut though...
Thanks to all of you for great advice. I took all of it into account, learned the tunes, played less, in tune and had a good time. They even threw a fair share of solos my way, and everyone from arranger to audience members seemed happy with my below average playing abilities.
None of the jazz pro's in the band have ever played with a steel player before and I'm sure not having any reference made me appear adequate. An announcer even took time to point to my steel and tell the audience what it was I was playing(more or less).
Can't wait to do it again some day. Thanks to all of you.