| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gary Carter on Marty Stewart Show.
Eddie Lane

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2010 11:03 am    

Does anyone besides me have problems with Gary's steel not being in the mix on this show? Now I know that they have him in there but on my TV he is simply not there. Any ideas??? My sound is set on stereo. I can see him picking his heart out but can't hear it.

Sad Exclamation
Graeme Jaye

Spain
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2010 11:43 am    

We get this show here in Spain, via a satellite link, and I have no problem hearing the steel at all. In fact, I've always thought the audio to be exceptionally good for a TV broadcast (where the video content usually gains favour over the audio).

My TV audio is reproduced by my normal sound system, not from the TV itself and I wonder if it's more a case of poor audio reproduction from your TV, than a problem at source.

To be honest, I haven't heard any TV that did the sound any favours at all and many of them are truly abysmal. As sets get slimmer and speakers get smaller, it's surprising they sound any good at all.

Some of my music here
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2010 12:22 pm    

There is something wrong with your broadcast. Its crystal clear here in Buffalo, N.Y. He's out front in the mix.
Dennis Graves

Maryville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2010 1:32 pm    

Not loud enough here in TN either. I've noticed that for some time now.
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2010 2:46 pm    

It sounds great on Dish Network in Branson.
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2010 3:01 pm    

I've always heard him good. Great player and person.

Tony
Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2010 3:18 pm    

Eddie, its probably your TV, or receiver. I have the same problem on one TV and receiver, but another TV and receiver in same house is clear as a bell. I'm on Direct TV. Larry B.
Val Drummond

Maryland
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2010 5:19 pm    

I'm on Dish Network too. The pedal steel comes in great.
One of my favorite shows. I get to watch and listen to pedal steel every week.
Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2010 6:34 pm    

We watch the show in the green room at the baldknobbers and we have the problem with not hearing the steel. I think were on local cable so l don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. We can always hear the rest of the instruments, but the steel is the only one we can never hear and it really sucks cause that's really the main reason I watch the show is to see Gary play.
Paul Frank Bloomfield

Greece
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2010 11:33 pm    

We, like Graeme, get the show here in Greece and
have no problem with the sound and it's a pleasure
to hear and see ( most camera operators seem to
shy away from steel players on most TV programmes !)
Gary play some very tasty stuff. The Marty Stuart
show is a tonic over here for us!
All the best
Frank. Corfu
D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2010 4:29 am    

I've got the same "can't hear Gary" problem in Columbia, MO -- RFD TV on Mediacom Cable Channel 240. I'm guessing that the sound was fine in the theater, but the TV sound track was re-mixed with a bad connection or bad channel. The only steel that I can hear sounds like it's bleeding through other distant mics on the stage, not thru the mic or DI on his amp.
Graeme Jaye

Spain
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2010 6:39 am    

On the basis that many of us have no problem with the sound, I suggest those who do should contact their local TV broadcast supplier and ask the question of them.

Some of my music here
Eddie Lane

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2010 7:33 am    

Thanks for the feedback guys. Since some have the problem and some don't, I am going to call my cable company. Like Dean said...when you watch the show to hear Gary play on one or two songs and then he is not there is a little disappointing. Anyway, thanks again guys.

Eddie
Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2010 11:31 am    

Gary is loud and clear down here in Southeast Texas through Dish Network. In fact the whole band sounds great!
Les Green

Jefferson City, MO, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2010 1:09 pm    

I'm on Dish and have had problems hearing him from day one. Sometimes he's completely un-hearable and other times just barely. All the rest of the musicians are loud and clear at all times. I've almost quit watching the show on this account.
Dave Simonis

Stevens Point, WI USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2010 7:42 pm    

I used to have the same issue on Charter here in Wisconsin...but other guys I knew weren't. At first I started thinking my TV, but stumbled upon a menu in my Charter digital cable box for audio settings. It was set to "Hi-Fi" (whatever that means) and has several options (mono, stereo, hi-fi, and a few others).

After seeing this I switched to "stereo" and instantly heard Gary on the next show full-force as meant to be (he always sounded way off in the background).

Check for a settings menu, and audio/sound options.

Fiddle: Zeta, Arthur Conner, many others.../Steel: GFI SD-10 Ultra.../Mandolin: Breedlove.../Guitar: Gibson, Fender, Taylor.../Amps: Peavey NV112, Evans FET 500.../Others: Hilton, Goodrich, Stereo Steel, Pendulum Pre-amp...
Tom Mnich

Woodland Park, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2010 6:55 am     thanks!

Thanks for posting this. I had just assumed there was a mix problem. Now I've changed my audio settings and can hear the steel.
Rudy Hawk

Carrollton,Ohio,USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2010 11:46 am    

Gary's steel comes in clear on my DishNet TV.
Johnny Thomasson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2010 1:21 pm     The Marty Stuart Show - Audio

I recently watched the show for the first time on my living room TV, where I have Dolby 5.1 surround audio. All I can say is wow! The mix is incredible. It's an 'A' quality studio mix. If anyone has a problem with it, the problem is on your end. Which is a good thing, because that means you can fix it.

I'm on Dish Network now, but had DirecTV up until about a month ago. I didn't notice any difference between the two on my bedroom TV, where the audio setup was just the stereo speakers in my Sony Wega TV. I could hear Gary fine, and his tone was good. I always thought the bass was too low in the mix, but once I listened on my surround system, I realized that is definitely not the case. Paul Martin's bass (and vocals) sounds like a million bucks.

Marty's is my favorite TV show. I'm real tempted to buy the DVD sets of past seasons.

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2010 4:04 pm    

I am glad someone posted concerning this. From the replies it is obvious it is in my tv sets or Direct TV. I have trouble hearing Gary and also a terrible reception for Tru Country. Most of the other shows I watch have no problem.