| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Marrs RGS Sound
Fred Welch

Sheridan, MI. USA - deceased
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2010 3:20 pm    

I have a Marrs RGS and I am at a loss as to how to get a reasonable dobro sound. It sounds more like a lap steel and I can't believe there is not a way to coax a little dobro out of it.
I have a real one but the feed back at times is such that I can't play all the time. This one lets me hike up the volume but the sound I get doesn't do a thing for me.. Any suggestions? Would an EQ be a way to get it where it need to be? If not please don't say a Match Bro.. I would have more money in the fix than I have in the instrument..
Fred
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2010 3:29 pm     options for the cat-can

Match-Bro.

Sorry, I had to say it. : )

I've been thru a few variations on this with my Marrs Cat-Can. Yes, you need an EQ or a dobro simulator to put it "over the top" into sounding like a dobro. I assume you have the original RGS without the internal electronics. I've had modest success with the Boss GE-7 pedal set-up as a comb filter (see other posts about this). It works pretty good, but sounds a bit brittle to my ears.
I ended up getting a Match-Bro and like it better. I have not tried the Bob-bro, but I suspect it is similar.

I use nickle strings and play with stout dobro gages. (6-string). I play it like a dobro and even use a Scheerhorn bar, not a plastic or wood bar.

If I sit close to a bass amp, I can sometimes get a little feedback on a few notes, but for a loud bandstand, the cat-can has been a good practical way to go for me. It won't replace a real dobro and certainly does not sound like a modern L-body type reso, but for various dobro licks, it works great. I use it on old vintage Loretta Lynn tunes.

Post  Posted 29 Sep 2010 3:48 pm     Marrs RGS

Ok Smile we got Match bro out of the way... I have read lots of good things about a Match Bro and may have to go that route but would like to explore a little and work my way up. I had not thought of nickle strings, I use them on my steel. Stout strings are you meaning a heavy gauge set?
Thanks for the help...
Fred Welch
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2010 5:22 pm    

Hi Fred, I had one of the early CatCans for over 20 yrs. The acoustic sound is pretty good, but it gets lost when you plug in. I tried a couple other piezos and transducer Barcus Berry pickups in an effort to capture the acoustic voice of this instrument without success. The acoustic volume is just too weak to transfer well.

I ended up using it mostly for rock and blues stuff which it handled really well.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but I used a Bobro from Bobbe Seymour resonator sim., and it was great with the RGS. Tuned to dobro G, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in a live electric band situation.

Of course the new ones with the Fluger electronics sound authentic, but retrofitting would be expensive.

I used both stainless and nickel strings in the Marr's suggested gauges. [17-56] No difference far as I can see.

The suggestion to try shaping with an equalizer is the only other one I can offer as well.

Sorry

Sad
Fred Welch

Post  Posted 29 Sep 2010 6:02 pm    

Jerry,
Thanks for your info on the Marrs CatCan I will try an
equalizer and if that doesn't work for me I will try and check out a Bobro, I see them posted here from time to time. I like the sound of your saying you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in a live electric band situation. That is my goal for this little guy.
I play a 12 Universal and I have gotten into playing this too, Its fun to play and with a better sound I would be a happy camper..
thanks again,
fred
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2010 7:11 pm    

Well, it's not a dobro, but it covers the tone pretty well and blends well with drums, electric bass, guitars etc. IMO and with the G tuning, it's close enough for me.

I know someone's going to jump in here and say that it doesn't sound like an acoustic reso, so I'm adding this disclaimer that this is somewhat subjective.

I've heard Gary Morse play with Dierks Bentley using an original RGS without electronics, and a Match Bro. It sounded authentic to me. Either gadget, Bobro or Match Bro will get the job done. I like the Bobro because Bobbe and the guys got it right and jerked off the knobs so's you can't mess it up.

If you want exact acoustic reso sounds, you need an acoustic reso, but in a situation like yours, I think you'll be pleased with the authenticity.

The RGS with the Bobro always turned some heads when I used it. Not my playing, mind you, but the sound. Winking
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2010 7:14 am     They work

Good luck. I think the RGS does needs something else in the signal chain. Either a Match-bro, a Bobro or a Boss GE-7 will do the trick. You'll have to spend some time tweaking it, maybe, depending on your amp and speaker set-up. And most important... You need to play it like a dobro, not a steel or lap steel. Try to stay off the VP as well.

By stout strings, I meant the normal bluegrass dobro gauges on it. But, yes, it gives a very passable dobro sound for a live, loud band setting (with drums and bass). When I play in an acoustic format, I use a regular dobro, when the tone can come thru. Keep at it, Fred. You'll like it, once you get it dialed in and about 95% of your audience will never know the difference. And that other 5% will only know by the visual difference. : )

Thanks to Jim Eaton for turning me on to these guitars.

For those of you that collect guitars, the Marrs RGS guitars that were orginally made with old chicken liver cat food cans are the best. Some of them have been made with tuna flavored cat food cans. Try to avoid these as they are not as desirable. Meow! : )

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2010 9:14 am     Marrs RGS

Tom and Jerry, Thanks for your replies.
I really appreciate your sharing your experiences with
the RGS, you have saved me from a lot searching. Its great to have the Forum and the contact with people like you who have been down the same path. Thanks for the encouragement I now three ways to go, before I posted I was thinking there may no fix. I am thinking seriously about a Bobro or a Match bro, either of which over shadow my ability with an Equalizer.
Thanks again,
fred
Fred Welch

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2010 9:18 am     Marrs RGS

Oh I forgot to mention, my cat has always seem fascinated in this guitar, now I know why. All this time I thought it was the way I played it..
Should have know...
fred Wink
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2010 11:26 am     even a capo works on it

Last night, just for grins, I threw a Leno dobro capo on it and holy-moly, it works great.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2010 5:42 pm    

The one I have has got the dobro processor circuitry built into it so everything is onboard, no need to hook up the Matchbro! I sometimes use the matchbro ceramic-type bar though which helps with the authenticity. The switch goes from lap to reso !! Works a treat when you need volume.

Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2010 7:26 pm    

Thats the new Flueger/Marrs catcan designed by Duane Marrs and Marvin Flueger.
Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2010 9:11 pm    

Danelectro "Fish 'n Chips" inexpensive dobro sound.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2010 7:15 pm    

Yes Kevin it sure is !
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.