| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  pup ohms
Gary Ball

Lapwai, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2010 10:26 am    

Its my understanding that B.Lawrence pups might have a different method or formula for getting an ohmage reading. Double pole system.

Is that true?

Thanks
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2010 10:40 am    

Bill Lawrence does not use the Ohms measurement. The DC resitance (ohms) is ONLY the resistance of the coil wire and nothing else.

Bill uses more precise AC parameter measurements since a Pickup is an "AC" device.

Bill Lawrence pickups can have different DC resistance measurements but be exactly the same with AC parameters and will sound exactly the same and have the same volume level.

The Ohms measurement would only be Electronically valid if two pickups had the exact same magnets and were wound exactly the same with the exact same pickup coil wire. Thus an Emmons pickup that is, for example 18K ohms DC resistance would not have the exact same tone/response as for example a Trutone pickup that is also 18K ohms DC resistance.
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2010 10:55 am    

Be careful about thinking the resistance of a pickup dictates its tone. Indeed as Jack stated there are many parameters.
It's funny folks have decided the resistance is the one to use to compare pickups.
Be aware that the resistance of the pickup changes dramatically with temperature, perhaps on the order of 200ohms/degF.
If I could pick one parameter that when varried changes the tone out of the many, I would pick inductance. Unfortunately not very many people have an inducatnce meter or bridge to measure it with.
The inductance will be proportional to the number of turns, and the mass and permeability of the core (magnets or pole pieces).
Gary Ball

Lapwai, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2010 12:41 pm     ohms

OK, guess I don't get it.

I just had a pup made by Emmons for my 12 string. He wound it to 20k. Was told it was because of the 12 strings vs 10.

But, there has always been discussion about the high's and bassy lows etc based on ohms.

If it didn't mean something, why not 15k or 25k?

I'm learning something here....keep it going. And, thanks.
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2010 6:57 pm    

Gary, Glad you're still picking. I think I saw you last in Umatilla YEARS ago..

"k"s are matchable in a general way when it's similar pickups/wire size.

For example I used stock SHo~Buds mostly that were 20-23k. I thought they were too "dark" and perhaps overdoing it.

I had JW rewind a pair with similar wire to the stockers and wind them with only 16k's worth of wire. They were a lot clearer.

It's my opinion that in the 60s, "guys" wound them with as much wire as they could to "get a stronger signal". Maybe they did, as competing against Fender Amped Bands took all the balls they could get out. That meant, I guess "fatter" pickups that had more ohms than their predecessors (given the same size wire).

Nowadays, it's my opinion that amps, preamps, and processors don't need, nor 'like' all that signal, and the 'mud' that comes with it.

My Podxt used to show "clipping" all the time with my old overwound SB stockers, and with my 16k JWs it never does. I like them a lot better.

And yes, the more strings it picks up the more wire, and more "ks" you'll have at the relatively same strength of signal.

JMHO of course.

Hope you're doing well Gary. I've been 'bit' a few times since I last saw you, but God willing, I'm gigging this weekend like most others, besides working a LOT of hours paving this year.

Drop me a note and maybe we'll see you again.

YF.

Smile

EJL

The Inductance info is RIGHT ON, and I'm not meaning to conflict with it.
Gary Ball

Lapwai, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 7:31 am    

Thanks for adding to the mix Eric. Some good light on the subject now. I appreciate the explanations.
I think I get it now!

Eric its been about 8 or 9 years since we drove over to Umatilla to watch you pick. I was impressed to say the least...especially with that old ShoBud with the table knives for knee levers. Ha!

Thanks again guys.