| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Player "Teach Your Children Well"
Ric Nelson

Silver Spring, Maryland
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2010 7:16 am    

Seems to me we talked about this before some time ago and I've since forgotten. Any body remember who played the pedal steel on the Cosby, Stills and Nash version of "Teach Your Children Well"?

Ric
Olaf van Roggen

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2010 7:18 am    

Jerry García
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2010 9:17 am    

With all respect to your question, Ric, as one who's been hanging out on the forum for quite a few years, that's simply hilarious.
Smile
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2010 10:38 am     No stirring of a laying dog needed...

It would have been a different world without JG, and I was a late convert having no time to invest into something so big and hit/miss. But he made a difference.
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2010 12:51 pm    

Jerry Garcia and Skunk Baxter gave me a lot of neat steel notes to learn.

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2010 1:26 pm    

Never before (or since) has a steel player achieved so much with so little.

(and that's meant as a compliment...)
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2010 2:44 pm    

Man, JG was THE best player of the era! Changed the world!!!
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer
Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2010 3:00 pm    

Yeah, Rick's right! Forget about Emmons, Green, Myrick, Rugg, Jernigan, Maness, Mooney, Brumley, Chalker and all those other guys. Jerry Garcia was the man who defined the instrument... at least until you heard any of those guys.
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2010 3:31 pm    

when Jerry's steel playing comes up most people think of "Teach" and maybe "Dire Wolf", "The Wheel", or the bouncy NRPS stuff.

but his back-up work on slower songs like "High Time" and "Brokedown Palace" is tasteful, sparse and just perfect really.

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2010 3:41 pm    

Peter Freiberger wrote:
Yeah, Rick's right! Forget about Emmons, Green, Myrick, Rugg, Jernigan, Maness, Mooney, Brumley, Chalker and all those other guys. Jerry Garcia was the man who defined the instrument... at least until you heard any of those guys.

Garcia was a gateway to all those other guys for many of us.
That's why he will be in the Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame someday!
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2010 4:09 pm    

Pete Burak wrote:
Peter Freiberger wrote:

Garcia was a gateway to all those other guys for many of us.
That's why he will be in the Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame someday!

It is true. For a whole segment of the population who were into country-rock at the time, and who had never heard the true masters of the instrument (cuz we didn't listen to country radio), Jerry DID define the instrument. (For me, it was Jerry and Rusty Young, though I was far more interested in Rusty's playing.) But, as Pete says, once we got a whiff of the instrument, we followed the trail, and it led to Emmons, Green, Jernigan, Franklin, Chalker, Wallace, and a long list of other true masters of the craft.

You could say Jerry Garcia was our 'starter drug' in getting us addicted to steel. Winking
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2010 4:25 pm    

HAHAHAHAHA Laughing Laughing

I got ya! I wanted to stir the ol' pot a bit. Very Happy I've been working way too much and needed some fun.

I do love the alt-country thing. Commander Cody, NRPS, Flying Burrito Bros. etc.

Pete F, don't take it personally. I just wanted to see how long my joke would take to mature. JG was barely a player (in his own opinion) but hit some great notes...like we do sometimes! Sorry, I know it was cold-hearted Oh Well
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer
Ric Nelson

Silver Spring, Maryland
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2010 4:41 pm    

Thanks so much for the replies. At first I thought it was JC but then after a bit, I didn't trust my memory, which is getting worse with time.

I can remember him field jamming when we (Luke Gordon and the Lonesome Drifters) played at Sunset Park in PA, in the late 1950s. He was moved by one of our songs, "Dark Hollow" and made a special request that we do it.

Garcia some years later recorded it, which didn't quite sound like our version, I should say!. I never connected that kid at Sunset with JC until many years later.

If you want to hear JC’s licks on "Teach Your Children Well", on a dobro, click on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC-N4zl1QZo&feature=related

Ric
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2010 5:09 pm    

Thanks for that link Ric. That's just about the coolest thing I ever heard. Those chokes and slants sound just like the original thing on steel.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if JG's intro on Teach isn't the most heard pedal steel part ever. People from all music likes and styles heard that. That, and the song, brought a lot of people to the steel guitar as previously mentioned.

Whenever we do that song, people always recognize the intro and applaud the song.
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2010 8:33 pm    

Jerry Story.

I used to see Bobby Black play out in CA in the 80s. He told me Jerry would come over for a lesson/jam.
Jerry used to get elected "best steel guitar player" by playboy magazine. He was so embarassed by the nomination he gave up the steel for a while - humble guy - he knew.
Yet "Teach Your Children" perhaps the most recognizable steel guitar intro in the world.
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2010 9:59 pm    

I think Jim Cohen has pretty much summed it up. How may of us first became aware of pedal steel as an instrument because of that track? Quite a few, I wouldn't mind betting.

I was an exception, it was Cal Hand backing up Leo Kottke in "Morning Is The Long Way Home" from the "Ice Water" LP that got me aware of the steel as an instrument.

We all started somewhere, and if we started with Jerry and went on to discover Lloyd, Weldon, Buddy, John, Pete, Ralph, Jimmy and a score of others, then Jerry built better than he knew.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Michael Remming

Kimberly, Idaho, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2010 4:21 am     Teach your Children

This was the first song I learned on the steel. I had the great luck of growing up in St. Louis and I remember driving my moms 72 Pinto over to Scotty's for lessons. Scotty is such a cool guy he got me a back stage pass to see the dead, let me go with him to have breakfast with Buddy Cage my hero at the time. What is really cool is the band I am playing with now just started playing Teach your Children .........really brings back memories.
Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2010 11:03 am    

I've been a member of the Forum here since 1999. Some things just never change.

Just sayin'.

Dave Alfstad
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2010 2:55 pm     Has ANYONE...............everposted JG's hotlicks?

Has ANYONE ever posted these much talked about JG hot licks that were so fundamental for learning to play the steel guitar?
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2010 3:11 pm    

That's just it, Ray.
There's nothing "hot" about the playing, yet no-one else sounds just like that.
If you really want to play the lick, just listen to it. It's pretty easy to hear what pedals/strings he is using/playing.
iirc, Jerry Byrd speaks about meeting Jerry Garcia in Hawaii, in his book.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 5 Oct 2010 4:00 pm    

Quote:
Jerry Byrd speaks about meeting Jerry Garcia in Hawaii, in his book.

What does he say?
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2010 4:03 pm    

Just that Jerry was there for a gig, and went to see Jerry Byrd play, and asked him for a lesson, and then he never saw him again.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2010 4:13 pm     Re: Has ANYONE...............everposted JG's hotlicks?

Ray Montee wrote:
Has ANYONE ever posted these much talked about JG hot licks that were so fundamental for learning to play the steel guitar?

Got a little attitude-thing goin' on there, Ray? Rolling Eyes
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2010 4:25 pm    

Dire Wolf

probably the hottest Jerry ever played, and he did one hell of a job if you ask me.

Kimberly, Idaho, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2010 4:31 pm    

It wasn't that the licks were that hot it just opened up the steel to a whole new group of listeners. That may not have been listening to country at the time.