| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jay Spell R.I.P.
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2010 11:06 am    

I've just been told musician extrordinaire Jay Spell passed last night in Los Angeles.He had battled esophageal cancer for the last 2 or 3 years and it finally got the best of him.For those who don't know,Jay was a brilliant hard swinging hard rocking,singer,piano player,accordianist and fiddler.Blind since birth,he was blessed with perfect pitch,a fathomless,encyclopedic knowledge of Americana music and a record collection to match. Jay was from South Carolina but spent time in Memphis,Nashville,Austin and Los Angeles and played on lotsa records and in lotsa bands.I'm lucky to be able to say he was a close friend and musical companero of mine for over 30 years and I shall miss him.
Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2011 11:06 am    

Sorry to hear of Jay's passing. I was lucky enough to work with Jay on several occasions and he was a true talent and a "cool cat". He possessed an amazing knowledge of early rock and country. He could recall the exact inversion for the keyboard part of some obscure record that came out in 1956. And he was just as happy to be playing in a club for a dozen people or on the big stage in Ronnie Milsap's band. He was an inspiration to many. Au revoir, mon frere.
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2011 12:14 pm    

http://www.jayspell.com/tractors/
http://www.jayspell.com/okanes2/