| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Member
Thewl Wiese

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2010 3:20 pm    

Hello to all. I'm a new member and I thought I should introduce myself. My name is Skip and I live in N. Florida. I've been playing guitar, bass, banjo, etc. for about 40 years but never took up the steel guitar. I do play bottleneck and played a little lap steel in the past.
I acquired a Rayline 3 pedal, 4 lever guitar a few years ago and have yet to learn it (it's hard to find the time).
I went to visit Bill Ray when I first got the steel. His shop/home was about a mile from where I work so I stopped in on him at lunch one day.
I was amazed by his shop. Being a former machinist I was expecting a milling machine, lathe, etc. I was shocked to see a drill press, belt sander, vise etc.
Bill told me that he fabricated all the parts by hand in the shop and wound his own pickups. Needless to say I complimented him on his abilities.
I spoke to him about the steel and he told me that it was an early model with the square brass nameplate.
I spent about an hour with him and he was very nice and even invited me over to one of his jams which I regret not attending.
I've attached a couple of pictures of the guitar.

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2010 8:49 pm    

Thewl (Skip)
Welcome to the forum! I hope that you like it here, and that you enjoy your steel. Speaking of your steel, I'm very impressed that it was built basically with hand tools. I know how he feels. Very Happy I make a few of my own parts, and a drill press and a vise (no belt sander)is about all that I have. It makes Each project a new challenge and very time-consuming. Have plenty of coffee and Hydrogen Peroxide (great for open wounds) on hand! Laughing Just last week, I was putting a flag on one of my knee levers. Long story short, the phillips-head screwdriver, which had a shaft about as big as a pencil,(the handle is about as big as a quarter) sliped and went about an inch and a half into the palm of my left hand. (thus the Hydrogen Peroxide) Laughing It was late, I wasn't using the proper tools, and I was tired and in a hurry. Under those conditions, an accident is almost a sure thing. But I did get the knee lever fixed, and it works great! Anyway, welcome to the forum!
Mitch
Zeke Cory

Hinsdale, New York USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2010 9:14 pm     Welcome To The Forum !

Welcome to the Steel Guitar Forum. You will find a wealth of information and help from some of the best players and nicest people anywhere. Best Regards !
Mark Cohen

Calabasas, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2010 9:31 pm    

Welcome aboard. You will like it here.

Lake Arrowhead, California... We're a mile high. ;)
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2010 12:52 am    

This a GREAT place to absorb info & get tons of helpful tips from some great folks.
I'm a beginner, & folks here have been more than kind & helpful...!
Welcome, from another newbie.
Smile
rd

www.LA-Zep.com
www.Desperado1.com
www.CMWChicagoTribute.com
Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Southaven, MS, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2010 7:48 am     Welcome!

Feel free to bloat and emote. www.steelguitarbyhughjeffreys.com
Dan Moslander

Central California USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2010 6:30 pm     Welcome!!!!

Hi, Thewl......welcome to the forum..I'm a newbie too, bought my PSG last April.....been pluggin away, not doin too bad....I have found this place to be extremely helpful for just about any question you can come up with about steel pickin.....don't let the dang thing frustrate ya, and just have fun.................Dan

don't have a gear list...I'm broke