| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Barrel Pin Popped Out - Now What?
Sherman Willden

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 11:37 am    

I have a s10 Carter with the most requested tuning. RKR lowers string 8, 4, and 2. When tuning string 8 it didn't go anywhere so I looked underneath. The barrel pin had popped out. Which position does it go back into? As I look at it when the guitar is turned over it appears that the barrel pin goes back into either the first or second position. I tried to put the pin back into the second position but it didn't want to seat into the grooves like the other pins I saw. Do you have to pound the pin into position?

Can you also tell me about the return springs? Do I have to run the pull rod through a return spring?

Thanks in advance;
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 1:28 pm    

Don't force the barrel into position, it will slide into position quite easily from the side of the bellcrank.
It will be trial and error to see which slot it goes in.

Don't run the rod through the return spring.

Lowering 8 4 and 2 on RKR seems a bit unusual to me, or are you talking about C6, of which I know nothing.
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 1:37 pm     Carter Rodding Chart...

I found this on the Carter Site... http://www.steelguitarinfo.com/rodding/roddinge9c6.html

Right on Richard, don't force it...

Almost everything you need to know about a Carter Steel is still up on the Carter Site. Did we mention, Don't Force It!

I hope it works out for you...
Sherman Willden

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 9:30 pm    

Thank you, Richard and Dick. It fits right when slid in side-to-side. Since the rod is sitting in the sixth tuning nut position I put the barrel pin in the first position as looking at it upside down. I assume that is PB-5.

I was trying to tune the string 6 P2/LKR split and I was on the wrong tuning nut. Loosened it too much. I still haven't determined how to tune the split yet. It is still way off. I will turn the guitar back over and look at that tomorrow.

This is my rodding chart http://www.steelguitarinfo.com/rodding/roddinge9b6u.html
Rick Winfield

Pickin' beneath the Palmettos
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2010 12:27 am     Split

On my carter, the G# to F# drop, (string 6) is tuned at the colored in, nut, (top one) B pedal raise on second nut, and the G split tunes on the bottom nut.
Took me a while to dial it in, but now all is well
Good luck
Rick
Sherman Willden

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2010 4:25 am    

Thank you, Rick. I found this John Fabian video. I was trying to press the B pedal along with the LKR. It appears that I have to press only the LKR by itself and then the B pedal by itself.

http://www.steelguitar.com/support/videos/index.html
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2010 4:28 am     Tunable Splits?

Rick, I found this in a search on the forum. Helped me understand splits. Great info and resource... Should be a must read thread.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=112516&highlight=tunable+splits
Sherman Willden

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2010 5:49 am    

Thanks to all. I didn't understand it when I read all the posts and the instructions from Carter. Now I do. I found an old note that John Fabian sent me which reads as follows: "Sting 6 should tune TN6 with LKR & P2 and TN2 just LKR." After reading that and going back over what everyone else said the rod that lowers and the rod that raises now makes sense. The thing is I have never bothered with the bottom of the guitar before and it was a mystery to me. Now I see it and it is like a light turning on.