| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dean Dobbins
jay thompson

east peoria, il USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2010 9:17 am    

Long time friend, Steel player, and singer, Dean Dobbins, passed suddenly, Saturday, Sept. 18.
Services will be held Friday, Sept. 24, at the
Davis Fulton Funeral Chapel
815 North Fourth St.
Chillicothe, IL 61523
Visitation at 11:00am, Services at 12:00pm.
Condolences may be left at WWW.MeM.com
beginning Wednesday.
Jay Thompson

early 1970's photo

Yes, He even had a basket weave once.

To the members of The Steel Guitar Forum,
We can't thank you enough for all of the
wonderful memories and heartfelt condolences that have been posted, and for the
photo album created by Darin Hamilton. All of the pictures and the many kind thoughts
and remembrances have given us a reason to smile during this very sad time. It
is such a comfort to us to know that the people Dean cared about and enjoyed so
much are keeping us in their prayers. Again, thank you all so much for all of
the postings and most of all for the wonderful times and true friendships you
gave to Dean throughout his life.
Eve, Allen and Dana
the family of Dean "Dino" Dobbins

Last edited by jay thompson on 30 Sep 2010 9:48 am; edited 8 times in total
Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2010 10:53 am    

I am sorry to hear that Dean has passed away. I always enjoyed seeing him at various steel guitar functions in the central Illinois area. A great guy, a great Singer and Steel Player, he will be dearly missed. My condolences go out to his family and friends. May he Rest In Peace!
Bob Watson
Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2010 11:10 am     Dean Dobbins

I sincerely hate to hear this as Dean was a good buddy of mine and one of my favorite singers. He sang with me at several steel guitar shows over the years. I was concerned that I didn't see him in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago. Our prayers go out to his family.

Herby Wallace
Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2010 4:02 pm    

I sure hate to read this. Dean was a good friend and
always entertained us in the Derby Room in St. Louis,
for the last several years. I sure missed seeing him
there this year with his big orange jug. I knew there
had to a reason for him not to be there.
I'll miss you Deano. May you RIP and God bless you.

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2010 6:05 pm    

I am saddened by this news. Dean was a good pal, and I always enjoyed his company. My thoughts are with his family at this sad time.
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2010 6:26 pm    

This is tragic news. Dean was one of the good guys. He will be missed at the steel shows and by all of us who knew him. May GOD bless, comfort, and keep his family always. Jody.

Last edited by Jody Sanders on 30 Sep 2010 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2010 7:42 pm    

Mine and Barbara's condolences to Dean's family. We are very saddened by his passing. Dean was a good friend for many years. Again, our prayers to his family.
...Roy and Barbara
JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2010 8:47 pm    

I talked to Dean many times at the St louis Conv, he was a good guy, I will miss him.

Jerry
DeWitt Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2010 10:15 pm     Dean Dobbins

I am very sorry and distressed that my good friend and picking buddy has passed away. I had many a good time with him playing at Miss Elmer's on St. Charles Rock Road just a few blocks from my home. Dean was first a singer then, I think that his love for the Buddy Emmons style of plaing, influenced him to take up playing the steel guitar. He would sing and also play his own backup at the various shows around the country. My prayers go out to his family. Scotty
Bobby Duncan

Pensacola, FL, USA (these days)
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2010 11:00 pm    

I too am shocked and saddened to hear this trajic news. Dean was a good friend and a key player in the Central Illinois Steel Guitar Association while it lasted. Interestingly he had been heavy on my mind late last week while working the night shift and I had decided that I needed to call him, but sadly I hadn't done it. I had dug up the CD that he cut at Russ & Laney's and listened to his version of "Sittin & Thinkin" which was one of my favorite tunes ever since I heard him do it. He sure was a character and loved by all no doubt.
I will miss him very much and always regret not making that call when I should have. I am thankful and fortunate tho to have some great memories with Dean.
My deepest condolences.
Bobby Duncan
Lefty Schrage

West Union, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2010 5:11 am    

We send our thoughts and prayers to Dino's family. He will certainly be missed by the steel guitar community in general and our NE IA Steel Guitar Show in particular. He has been a regular member of our Show almost since it started and his absence will be felt strongly. We always appreciated his friendship, keen sense of humor, good-natured fun, great singing ability, beautiful steel playing, and also the wonderful foot warmers made by his wife. Dean was in great spirits when we talked to him late last week to schedule his set for our upcoming show which makes his passing such a shock.

...lefty & barb
Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2010 5:13 am    

Dean will be missed by everyone.He was a wonderful person always smilling and helpful. Great singer that lived Country music> RIP
Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2010 6:01 am     Dean

We are so sad to hear of Dean. He will be totally missed. What a special man and a good friend. Always ready with a big old bear hug and a smile.
Loved to hear him belt out a song.
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2010 7:09 am    

The news of Dean's passing saddens me. He was a good friend,picker, and just a great guy.
Russ Hicks

Pegram, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2010 7:19 am    

Bob Knight just called me with this terrible news...I had just called Dean a week before Scottys to make our plans...he always brought a world of 'goodies' to the shows at his own expense, never taking a dime of reimbursement...I'll sure miss seeing him walking around with his cup, always with his 'cup', always with a smile on his face....this makes me value all the more the time we spent together, in Peoria, in Lexinton, and in Nashville, especially when he came down and did his CD, he was an awesome singer...I'll sure miss Dino, and once again I hope that his passing will be a wake up call to all of us to not fail to let our pals that we still have with us know how we feel about them, before it's too late.
Bill McRoberts

Janesville, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2010 7:22 am    

My condolences to Dino's family. He was a great friend along with being a FABULOUS singer and musician. Always with a smile and a good story to tell. Over the years at many different shows I made quite a few trips back to Dino's van or room to get a "cocktail re-fill" and a "sammich".
I will miss him.

Dunfermline, Il
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2010 7:23 am     So Sad To Hear

Like everyone else I was completely shocked to hear of Dean's passing. We have lost one of the "good guys" and he will certainly be missed. His love for country music and the pedal steel guitar was responsible for bringing so much joy into so many people's lives. Eve and the rest of the family are in our thoughts and prayers!!!
Darin Hamilton

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2010 7:23 am    

I was very sad to hear of Dean's passing. He always had a joke and a smile and I will miss that. I have created a photo album in Picas of pictures I have taken of Dean over the years. It is called "In Memory of Dean Dobbins". I have included a link. Please feel free to share this with anyone you would like.

http://picasaweb.google.com/hamilde/InMemoryOfDeanDobbins#
Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2010 7:43 am    

Like everyone else, I'm shocked and saddened to hear this news. I haven't known Dean as long as some of you, but from the first time I met him at the Lexington, KY show, it was like we'd known each other forever. He will certainly be missed.

Jim
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2010 8:27 am    

OMG! Count me among the shocked and saddened at this news. Like Herby, I was surprised when I didn't see Dean at Scotty's. I know we'll all miss Dean's wit and singing those Ray Price songs he loved to belt out. It was always a lot of fun to share a few jokes and songs with Dean.

May God bless our friend Dean and his family as they mourn his passing.

Ron
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2010 12:57 pm    

Like everyone that knew him, this is a shock. He wasn't at the Convention this year, so I emailed him to find out if he was ok. He replied, that he was fine and had to cancel the convention this year because he had to replace the furnace in his house. We swapped many email jokes and videos over the years.I recieved one on the day of his passing. He was the highlight of the Iowa Steel Shows with his combination of Price/Bush and his own Emmons style backup on steel. A fine friend, singer and musician that will be missed!
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Thomas Pickett

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2010 1:28 pm    

it saddens me so to get this terrible news i talked with him before the st. lois show and after and he didn't mention any health isues. me and dean got to be good friends over the years as he always played our show hear in the quad-cities always fun to be around day or nite till the last note was played.our prayers go out to his wonderful wife and family.he will be so missed. tom and carol pickett

Merrimack, NH USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2010 4:56 pm    

We had alot of fun with Dean over the years in St Louis. He will surely be missed.

St. Paul, Minnesota
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2010 5:31 pm    

I didn't know Dean very well, but over the past 10 years have seen him at many of the steel shows that I attended. It has only been within the last couple of years that we really talked and shared a joke or two. I always enjoyed hearing him sing the classic Ray Price songs, and hearing him play the steel.

Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois and St. Louis have lost a good friend and steel player. He has joined that ever growing heavenly band of singers and steel players.

We will miss him dearly.

Dennis
Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2010 6:06 pm    

This is extremely saddening and only wish the best for the family of a great guy. Dino, we'll miss you, but not forget you.

Roger and Kathy