| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  December 6 in Gulfport
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2003 6:09 am    

DSSG&MA event is really gearing-and tuning up for a grand time.
We are most fortunate to announce that Roy Ayers will be here, and this is really big news to for me to announce this. Thanks Roy!!
Roy Rosetta, Rich Jones, Gary Kebadeaux,(Heart of Texas Band) featuring none other than Hall of Famer Pee Wee Whitewing will be on stage for afternoon and evening performances. Music does not get any better thant that..
Roy has graciously agreed to give us a "mock recording session" of how the session players put a song down in a studio. Song selection is up to Roy. And with quality musicians like Roy Rosetta, Rick, Gary, Pee Wee, Autry Rutdledge, Jerry Jay, Ben O'dell, WAyne Goff, Ed Clark, Randy Carlin, David Easley, George Mason, Brooks Hubbert, Roy A. will have the best to choose from and it will be very informative to see these guys write their charts, talk about the arrangement, and then play it a few times for the audience. John Heinrich is working his schedule to allow him to be here also.Plenty of steel guitar power here folks. (I have received info that Roy A. will demo the song from Dr Zhivago). That will be a grand learning experience for all, and especially me.. Just sitting and watching and listening to these guys will be my reward for the year..Come visit with us if you can...
Thanks b0b for this input to the world of steel guitars.
Program schedule will be posted as it solidifies...Conmtact me for directions.

Bill Stafford
John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2003 6:23 am    

Would love to be able to come to this one.
Any Event Bill Stafford is associated with is just like his music.... TOP DRAWER Triple A1 quality.

I like the idea of different types of instruction that this organization is doing at their events. Unique idea and I think I know where it came from non other than BS himself.

This isn't a recent thing with Bill he has alway been known to pass on his knowledge to others and especially young and upcoming players. He is one of the best Spokespersons the Steel Guitar ever had. .

------------------

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 08 November 2003 at 07:15 AM.]

Larry Moore

Hampton, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2003 8:09 am    

Bill
Wish I could make this show. I am playing in Quitman Ga. that Saturday.. Maybe after the first of the year.
Your Pal
Larry
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2003 9:43 am    

Bill.- I would sure like to be there to see you again.

I like that idea for Roy doing some instructing on recording. Good Idea to put these kinds of things at these shows.
It would sure help the young new up and coming players.
I like that Dr. Zhivago(Somewhere my love). I get requests for that every time I play at the seniors center, and they really enjoy it.

Good luck with the show, see you in Grand Rapids next spring, Good Lord willing...al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Charlie Moore

Deville, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2003 1:45 pm    

Bill,with ole Peewee there i would love to bring my guitar and play a couple,if that,s possible,see if i can show my buddy something,ha, let me know !!!!!!!!!!!! Charlie Moore...........
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2003 5:25 pm    

Charlie, come on down, or over or up -which ever it may be. You will be made very welcome and I will need lots of help in keeping Pee Wee on the straight and narrow..lol.
Let me know if you need room reservations etc. I can send you the local numbers and recommend a few nice places close to the club, etc....Send me email so we can discuss this more...

Bill Stafford

And AL, I wish you could be here also.It is going to be a special event with Roy and Pee Wee W, and Roy R etc...Would love to add you to that mix...
Barney Y. Miller

Covington, GA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2003 8:09 am    

The club there in Gulfport is exceptional. Bill and the gang has built a fine stage, plenty of room and a new sound system. All will be delighted with that. Roy Ayers is without question one of our pioneers in the steel guitar industry. His work down through the years has improved the steel guitar for us all. Everyone will benifit from him down there on the show, I am so proud to have known him in the early years. He was a very talented player then and even more so now. People in the Gulf Port area are very fortunate to have the opportunity to see and hear him.
That Peewee Whitewing will also be a crowd pleaser. His exceptional talent is unique in that note and phrasing ability plus speed is top notch. Now couple all that with a great staff band and the sound will be tremendous. One word about Roy Rosetta is, in my opinion, "FANTASTIC".

Hope I can attend this one!
Barney
Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2003 1:18 pm    

Hi Bill....
Sounds like a great time, and wish I could make it. One of these days, I will surprise you with a visit. In the meantime, we are sure looking forward to your January visit to Arizona!!

------------------
Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ
Southwestern Steel Guitar Association

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2003 1:58 pm    

Hey Bill.....If this years performances by Pee Wee and the "Heart of Texas" band are any better than last years....it will definitely be a show to remember... I'm planning on being there as well. Due to the passing of my Dad, I was unable to make the last one on Oct. 4th.....but am looking forward to this one on Dec. 6th. Hope to see some of you other members of the DSSG&MA there to support this great club. C-YA. HAL

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL
'85 Emmons LeGrande D-10, Rack w/Evans, Lexicon MPX100 (2)1501-4 BW's IN PRO Cabs, & a Sound Tech PL500 Power Amp.

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2003 4:47 am    

^
Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2003 4:16 pm    

Bump ^

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL
'85 Emmons LeGrande D-10, Rack w/Evans, Lexicon MPX100 (2)1501-4 BW's IN PRO Cabs, & a Sound Tech PL500 Power Amp.

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2003 2:57 pm    

This is gonna be a great show with Mr. Roy Ayers and Pee Wee Whitewing....worthy of a bump to the top......

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL

Ben ODell

Agricola, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2003 4:56 pm    

The ole doc has given me a clean bill of health and you can bet, I'll be there. Lets not forget, Mr Bill Stafford will also be performing on that stage and that says a lot about what the crowd has to look forward to.

Ya'll bring friends and family to see this one. Can hardly wait to see Brother Pee-Wee and my mostest good friend Roy Rosetta, Ms Barb, and lord knows who else will come strolling in there.

Made a bunch of calls today and I may have my "LIL Brother" Joe talked into coming to the show. Being a fine keyboard player, he has been chomping at the bit to meet Roy Rosetta. He said if something didn't pop up out of the clear blue, he didn't have anything booked.

Oh, and come hungry. We are gonna have a big ole steak cooked out back on the grill to order, (GOTTA BUY BARB BIRTHDAY ONE) and trust me, some of the best baked potatoes around. Hope to see everyone at the show.

Ben O'Dell
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2003 8:01 pm    

Boy, this one is really gearing up to be a good end of the year party.
David Easley and his band will have a 4 O'clock appointment on this band stand. David wants the demo recording session to include one of his original songs and we will work that in the schedule. This program is becoming so popular, it might be the biggest part of this party. And with the caliber of musicians here, there is just no telling how entertaining and enlightening this format will be. I will have a "concrete" (?) schedule in about another week after all the members have had their chance to inform me of their presence and desire to be on the regular playing schedule.
In brief, we will have Jerry Jaye as our DSSG&MA band director, Pee Wee Whitewing, Roy Rosetta and the "Heart of Texas" band with Gary Kebodeaux and Rick Jones. Roy and the band will perform with Roy Ayers. Roy has selected "Somewhere MY Love" as his demo for the mock recording session. I am looking forward to all this and David Easley's composition to be played with Roy and the band. Having a chance to have David on stage with this group of great musicians - George Mason on violin and Brooks Hubbert on guitar-with Pee Wee Whitewing and Roy Ayers will be a very big "happening". In case you folks have not heard of Brooks Hubbert, you are in for a real treat as he can play those wonderful vamp chords per Eldon Chamblin and all you want to do is shut up and listen.
Note to DSSG&MA members, please call me as soon as possible so I can schedule a spot on the program for everyone's satisfaction. Thanks B0b for this post space..
And as DSSG&MA president says, "come hungry"..

Bill Stafford
Ben ODell

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2003 5:29 pm    

Bill,
I forgot to tell you that I am bringing my secret thing to Doug (if he does the cooking) for the steaks. Well, maybe not too secret but shore is good !!!!
I talked to Van Zerkle and he will be there with George Mason. We may even ask ole George to play a little acoustic guitar. He can burn the wires off. Looks like a great show ahead. I'll be calling soon.---Ben
Ben ODell

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2003 5:31 pm    

BUMP
>
BUMP
John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2003 2:04 pm    

Going Up^
Ben ODell

Post  Posted 19 Nov 2003 7:21 pm    

BUMP IT FOR US TO THE TOP PLEASE
^
^
^
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2003 8:18 pm    

Just got confirmation from John Heinrich that he will be in Gulfport for our Dec 6 event and we are so proud for that.
Glad the guitar showed up - mine was really getting nervous about how John would have to "adjust" it to make it playable for him. lol. Thanks for your support John Heinrich. To have Pee Wee Whitewing, Roy Ayers, David Easley and John Heinrich on stage is a very, very big honor for us here at DSSG&MA. Looking forward to a big time with lots of good food..

Thanks to all..

Bill Stafford
Ben ODell

Post  Posted 20 Nov 2003 8:33 pm    

Don't forget to bring your cameras. You'll want to have some shots of David. You'll get to hear some fantastic steel pickin and, also get to see David play his Emmons,
"barefoot". You'll just have to see his pedal arrangement. No way for me to explain it.

I just recieved a photo of Bill Staffords new Guitar. Maybe he'll bring that pretty thing and show it off. Really thrilled that John is gonna make the show and that his bisquit board showed up that was lost.

Ya'll load up the wagons and come on down for a Good Show !!!!! Look forward to seeing you all there.------Ben
Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2003 9:16 pm    

That's great that John got his guitar back and is able to come to the show on Dec. 6th. Bill.....I'm gonna be there too, so please save me a slot....thanks......HAL

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL

[This message was edited by Hal Higgins on 21 November 2003 at 05:21 AM.]

Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Southaven, MS, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2003 7:24 am    

For Bill Stafford: Hello Pal! Still no word from Mr. Fugii. Hugh
Ronnie Miley

Hendersonville
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2003 12:34 pm    

I Think I might get to make the show and hear all these great players, an maybe I just might learn something. RPM
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2003 4:30 pm    

Dr. Hugh, I will try to give Mitsuo a wake up call. He is very, very shy about correspondence due to the language barrier, so I will try my best to let him know that steel guitar players do not have any language barriers. Wish you could be here on the sixth.
Ronnie, come on over and maybe we can all learn something from the talents of Pee Wee W, Roy A., David E, etc.. You will be made very welcome
This VFW is very easy to locate. Exit to the north at the Gulfport exit #28. Go through two red lights on Hiway 49 north, turn right on Dedeaux Road and you will be going east. About 1/8 mile, you will see a blue metal bldg on your left. You have arrived. VFW Post 4526. Signs for us will be out front.
Hope to see you there, or here as the case may be...

Bill Stafford
John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2003 9:47 pm    

I've Been to that place before.

------------------

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 21 November 2003 at 09:48 PM.]