| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hound Dog Dobro
Sasha Kostadinov

Lakewood, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 10:43 am    

Someone's selling a US-made roundneck Gibson Hound Dog Dobro not far from where I live. The price seems reasonable ($550). I've never played one, but have been listening to a lot of bottle neck blues lately and am getting the urge to try some myself. I haven't heard much discussion about these guitars here. Are they worthy resonators? Thanks.

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2010 7:53 am    

The deluxe model is $499.00 but the standard Houndog is only $349.00 see link... Confused

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dobro-Hound-Dog-Round-Neck-Dobroreg-Guitar?sku=514374

Cheyenne, Wy. USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2010 8:15 am     Dobro Hound dog

Sasha... Be aware... Thats a little high for a Gibson Hound dog..especially if its used. Its ok for a beginning reso. My experience with these is if your really sincere to play one..is that its not a second level instrument. I would look around more. Check Ebay to see whats available and price range. (my opinion) good luck.. lee
Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2010 9:25 am    

The Dobro in the link posted above is a Chinese built instrument. It's not made in the U. S. anymore. However, I think that the Chinese version is a higher quality instrument than the previous American made version. I'd buy a new one of those before a used American version, based on the ones I've seen. My experience is only with the squarenecks, I haven't played a roundneck of either version.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2010 11:26 am    

I have not personally played a round neck or square neck guitar from the company below, but as far as a reasonably priced import round neck spider birdge guitar, I have heard good reports about Republic:

http://www.republicguitars.com/spiderbridgemodels.html

My first choice in a reasonably priced import from experience would be a Gold Tone Beard spider bridge roundneck:

http://beardguitars.com/guitargoldtonepbr.html

Lakewood, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2010 12:13 pm    

I was interested in the guitar because it was American-made and sold for $1,200 new. Based on these comments, I see my reasoning was faulty.

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2010 1:23 pm    

Gibson has made some nice resonator instruments since buying the Dobro company in the 1990's, but overall I think you will find the majority opinion of their efforts with the brand to be considerably less than favorable.