| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stone River Boys
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2010 7:01 am    

Austin's Stone River Boys just completed a week's run through Colorado supporting their very fine new album called "Love on the Dial". The album is loaded with some absolutely gorgeous pedal steel playing, mostly by forum member Dave Biller. The playing is very tasteful, inventive and supports the songs beautifully. I highly recommend the CD as well as the Stone River Boys' live show.

The Stone River Boys, led by guitarist Dave Gonzales, formerly with the Paladins and the Hacienda Brothers, pick up where the Hacienda Brothers left off by combining honky tonk and country music with elements of Stax, Motown, Philly and Muscle Shoals soul and funk. I know it sounds like a weird combination but they are just tearing it up on the current tour and winning new fans with this punchy new sound. Dave Gonzales is an absolute monster on baritone and Telecaster and Gary Newcome does a super job on pedal steel. My band Ethyl and the Regulars had the extreme pleasure of opening several shows for our Cow Island Records label mates. It's a week I will never forget. If the SRB's come to your town do not miss them!!

For the CD Dave Gonzales told me that Biller performed mostly on two 60's Emmons push-pulls through a '72 Fender Pro amp. Amp reverb was used in conjunction with a reverb chamber and everything was printed as it was laid down. The result is some of the nicest sounding pedal steel I have ever heard recorded. Do yourself a favor and get this CD!!!
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2010 11:39 am    

I saw them when they came though town, and they blew me away. I thought I had heard it all before, but these guys took it to a whole new level. I don't think I've EVER heard a better band.

I will definitely see them again if they ever return, and I will make it a point to bring as many of my friends as possible.
Gary Newcomb

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2010 11:32 pm    

Hey Tim, thanks for the shout out! We had a great time in Colorado playing with you guys. Hopefully we can do it again soon. And if you guys make it to A town we'll definitely do a show. Your tone and touch are exquisite.

Hey Mike it was great to meet you in Downey. I look fwd to hearing the 2 CDs you sent.. If we ever get off the road.....

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 7:48 am    

'Caught The Stone River Boys yesterday at Pickathon here in Portland.
Today I follwed a few links and found Gary's website.
Great playing and recording Man!
Hope ya don't mind if I post the link for others to hear your tunes:
http://www.myspace.com/thegarynewcombtrio

Last edited by Pete Burak on 9 Aug 2010 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 9:09 am    

Cool Pete. I'll be sharing the bill Wednesday in San Francisco with SRB. Can't wait to hear them again! Very Happy
Jeff Keyton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 3:43 pm    

Gary's trio is the only band I've seen cover Sonny Rollins and Merle Haggard songs back to back.

Last edited by Jeff Keyton on 19 May 2022 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave Biller

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 9:31 pm    

I just want to say that I think Gary really sounds terrific with the SR Boys, and I'm so glad things worked out the way they did. He has a great touch, and a very unique and tasteful style that never sounds out of place, which is tricky when you play "out of the box" like he does. Gary achieves it naturally and masterfully. I knew all along that he'd do a killer job with the band. Smile
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2010 11:18 am    

Gary sounds great with SRB as well as the new drummer, and it's great that Scott is back on bass. Mike was in perfect form!

They have a few more shows in the bay area this week, one at Slim's in SF, one at the Palms in Winters, and one at Rancho Nicasio in Nicasio.

Catch them if you can! Very Happy
Gary Newcomb

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2010 2:46 pm    

Hey Jeff, Dave and Dave, thanks for the kind words. I love playing in this band. Before SRB I was what you might call a delay/ tubescreamer steel player (a pedals steel player) These guys have really been helping me get my thing together. Having a great time- alot of touring! It's been awesome to be out of tx this whole summer.
Dave Z., you sounded great last night! Thanks for letting me use your amp. That thing screams so kind!!

Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 1:22 pm     Wait, there's more,,,,

I also had the pleasure to play on the record and do a bunch of shows with the boys last summer, the sad part of the story is that not all the songs made it on the record, I think Biller played some of his best stuff on a song called "It all depends on how you drink the wine". maybe it will come out on the greatest hits!
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 4:43 am    

What happened to,,,or where is David Berzansky that played steel when they were the Hacienda Brothers?
Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 9:58 am    

I was thinking the same thing about David Berzansky. What's he up to these days?
Steve Blazek

Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 4:36 pm    

D.B. is on the west coast, still playing a bit and working as a welder last I heard.