| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel Is Dead
Franklin

Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 7:06 am    

Thought it might be a fun thread to check the forum and the instruments most recent history......When this forum started, one of the prevailing rants was that Country music and the steel guitar is dying......Did their concern pan out?

I see it this way....I wish Country radio would split into multiple formats so that traditional Country music can have a home.....XM has actually helped to heal some of that desire....The forum is now at around 10,000 members from the few thousand it started with, steel guitars and their side products are growing so they are obviously doing well, and more young steel guitarists are making a living professionally....We even have a superstar player in Robert Randolph who continues to get national exposure through network TV exposure.....Although Country Music continues to change as it always has, Most of the players who adapt to the times find gigs, those that don't, struggle with fewer gigs lining up in their preferred direction.......Times "are" changing, but that's kind of the way it always was, playing professionally in Nashville.

How about these talks....Is the D10 fading away? or growing in popularity? What does the future of our instrument really look like? The above question was also around at the beginning of the forum......Has the forum debates on universal vs D10, tuning equal or Just Intonation, proven one side right or wrong? Post your take.....Do you see any clear directional changes?

Time has a way of proving what is accurate.......Don't get me wrong, I love traditional Country and one of my all time favorite sessions was getting to record on Jake Hookers last CD......Mostly I LOVE playing the steel guitar wherever it takes me, Monday nights with the TimeJumpers is soul food...But so is playing Rock and Jazz...Whats your take?......How much has really changed since the open debates started years ago?

.........Paul
Terry H Sutton

Vernon, Connecticutt, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 7:21 am     Pedal Is Dead

As you and Mike Smith have proved there is a place for pedal steel in ANY kind of music.
Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 7:37 am     ..the times

After slowing down my steel jobs in the 90's to play solo wall paper jobs on 6 string at the Greenbrier Resort I'm now playing more steel than ever and the pay is good. This is all fate perhaps as the band Taylor Made has a fine front line trio of sibling harmonies that is the focus of attention. I'm just glad they like steel Smile Don D
Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 7:49 am    

Last weekend I was booked to perform at a wedding where a specific request was voiced in order to secure this gig. They wanted “older” country music. Period! Considering our compensation would slightly fatten my wallet, an assumption leaned towards an older couple, sauntering down the aisle. To my surprise, just about everyone attending this wedding was in their mid twenties, and guess what, no one was line dancing either. Our band leader/tele dude/vocalist yielded the right of way to me, well over 50% of the time when it came to a kick offs, first said solo and out take lead. There was no lack of audible steel at this gig. Even thou I consider my steel expertise to hover around the bottom feeder level, I was approached all night by these youngsters asking questions about steel. The newly weds and their guests weren’t no country bumpkins, as it was rather obvious to me that they were rather educated and well verse at expressing their curiosity. I did my best to exercise a diplomatic approach but found myself somewhat challenged after my third goblet of Taittinger Comte Champagne Rose vintage 1969. I feel confident, at least in my area, pedal steel will have a say so but not too much to where Guitar Center will start inventorying steels at a store level……..
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 7:54 am    

we need Calvin's insight into this matter now more than ever! Wink

Its a strange time for music. some serious format changes going on right now with cd sales grinding to a near standstill, changes in radio (clearchannel and satellite) and live music. alot seems in flux atm.

The D10 might survive but will have to do so without me. too dang heavy
Dennis Ellerbee

Jackson, Georgia US
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 7:54 am     Steel today

Steel guitar is not dead by a long shot. I am playing on the road with a songwriter who just signed with a major label in Nashville, and he chose to have steel in his band because of the sound. He loves it and every gig we play someone comes up to me and comments on how they love the steel guitar, and wish it was in more of the music coming out of Nashville. Most of the people I encounter don't like the music coming out of Nashville today. They like the older country. The reason the label liked the songwriter that I am playing with is because he is different from the new country. He is more down to earth folk-country with a taste of blues. He is young but likes older country. His music is not hard driving rock-country that is CMT driven. And yes I am playing a SD-10 not a D-10. The reason is that it is lighter to carry around, and we don't play many songs I could use C-6th on. No reason to carry it if I'm not going to use it. I do vary my playing by using an E-bow and distortion on some songs, but it depends on what fits the song.
Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 7:57 am    

Gary Lee, this is the best news I have heard for some time. Something is happening out here. Hope it is contagious Very Happy Don D
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 8:12 am    

and I would say Pedal Steel is NOT dead, and I did..

here, just a few days ago !

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=189641

happy Saturday..

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 8:21 am    

I rarely chime in on these discussions, but...

I was contacted for a wedding gig where the wedding planner specified "steel" guitar in the band. The setlist was a mix of honky tonk/rockabilly/swing and blues. Did the gig without a rehearsal. The evening paid VERY generously and the band offered up additional dates.

Age of couple....25!!

The work is out there. I advertise my services in local forums and try to hear as much live music as I can. Always carry business cards. I also offer up audio and video samples to perspective buyers.

btw..If Gary Lee is a bottom feeder then there is no hope for me.

I will continue to gig to the best of my ability though.

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 8:29 am    

The good money gigs seem to be the most plentiful in the "outside the box" type of steel playing in my case. I am taking as many classic country gigs as possible also. The country gigs are not my strong suit but they are really fun.

One regret is that when the forum first started I was still in music school and had the luxury of indulging in my own nutty playing and compositional ideas. Out in the making a living playing world I don't have the time to focus on my own music as much as I would like.

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 9:04 am    

I play bass in a loud, "garage-y" indie/art rock band. No one in the band had heard me play steel but I brought my Fender T8 custom to a recording session of ours and asked to try some steel on a track. The reaction was "Well, OK if you really want to try it but we're not sure how it is going to sound....." The result: everybody loved it and they want me to play steel for some of our live set. I'd say the average age of our audiences is about 25.
Everyone I know in their 20's and 30's who like country music likes the older country of the 40's, 50's and 60's with lots of steel guitar. Granted, Portland, OR is probably a little different from many other places in the US.
I'm always trying to get away with putting on steel guitar instrumental albums at my work. Surprisingly, the stuff that people respond best to are Hawaiian albums from the 50's and 60's. Duke Ching, Jules Ah See, Barney Isaacs, and Billy Hew Len, go over pretty well with every age group. Speedy West and selected Jerry Byrd albums also get a good response from the hipster-set and 60-somethings alike.

Great thread Paul and thank you for your contribution to the forum.
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 9:29 am    

It's both the power and the weakness from the instrument that it is related to country, whatever way we turn it,it will always be related with a cowboyhat.
And here in Europe it's Carnival.
Just a few players get it out of the box, but it will never be as populair as a guitar or piano.
And I like the mistery hanging around the instrument.

My drive is to use it in pop and rockmusic however I like some country too.

I guess that in 50 years steelguitar still excists, but maybe with a tuning we don't use now and played by players that are not born yet.

My take?
Just making music, whatever it is.
I just like, love and desire the character of the instrument and it makes me fly Smile

Nice thread, Paul.
Regards, Johan

Last edited by Johan Jansen on 14 Aug 2010 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 9:37 am    

I play steel guitar in metal environments,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plk8H9f69Rs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF4jwCzMza0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/user/TackFromVenice#p/a/u/0/11Csk8VMzKE

In a 6 piece free improv "noise" ensemble with 2 other guitars and 3 reed players, as well as art music. The steel guitar is thriving.

Last edited by chas smith R.I.P. on 14 Aug 2010 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark Wayne

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 9:43 am    

Paul,

When you said you loved playing the steel guitar wherever it takes you, you are absolutely correct and we would do well to draw from your example. Your versatile steel playing has taken you to the top, and I was just wondering if you ever were hesitant at times when you played an obscure style if it go over or not. If so, you must've been thrilled when your attempts went over successfully!
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 9:45 am    

What I've been hearing on the "grapevine" on a local level is that the demand for classic/traditional country is slowly growing, as well as NEW country that has a strong traditional sound. Seems to be coming full circle.

Edited to say that "that traditional sound" revolves around steel and fiddle.But it goes without saying, righto?But I figured it didn't need explaining. Razz

Last edited by James Morehead on 14 Aug 2010 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 9:56 am    

Very interesting question Paul. I personally think the steel will continue to be put further and further back into the mix in this new so called country music and reach a point when it will no longer be there at all. Maybe by this time, the music will have split into a new catagory. As far a the steel dying, I don't think it will in our lifetime because there are still so many out there that like good traditional country.
One of the things I don't understand is that there are numerous bands around this area that have either two guitars, or two pianos, maybe a sax, bass and drums and say they play country music when there are several good steel players and or fiddle players around the area that could be playing with them but they don't want to pay for that extra piece. I once heard Johnny Bush say at a Dallas convention, if it ain't got steel guitar, it ain't country. He then looked over at Dale Potter and grinned and said, fiddles too.
PS: The D-10 will always be around as long as there are steels because it looks soooo impressive and pretty too. ---Henry

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 11:35 am    

Paul, music is cyclical. At some future point, a younger generation, perhaps yet unborn, will rediscover Hank Williams and Ray Price and they will be (for a while at least) as popular as they ever were.

But beyond that, the steel is continuing to become more popular and more used in other genres, as you yourself proved with your work with Dire Straits.

Aside from the examples already pointed out in this thread, there was Jim Webb's recent performance on Letterman with Mike Johnson, and the PBS show of Chrissy Hynde and the Pretenders with Eric Heywood.

Both of these are well established acts who do not need a steel, yet both have decided to add one, thereby exposing their fans to our instrument.

I should also point out that my CDs have been picked up by a classical music label and are being sent to radio stations that specialize in that kind of music, thereby (hopefully) exposing that audience to our instrument as well.

The steel is not only not dead, it is being used in all sorts of new and different styles and genres.

Tom Bradshaw once wrote an article called "The Stereotyped steel guitar," in which he said that people associated the steel with country music so much that they assumed it was the only kind of music the instrument could play. That stereotype is starting to break down, and you are one of the main people who can claim credit.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 11:53 am    

I occasionally record with Neil Zaza. I'm playing on this cut; WARNING! Not country. Melodic Metal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBFS8ruUo18

Last edited by John Billings on 14 Aug 2010 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 11:54 am    

+1 what Mike Perlowin said.
Bob Vantine

Freeville, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 12:52 pm    

....Smile I have two (3 & 6 year old) grandsons. Smile Since the day they were born nap times at my home included music.Mostly CDs of Cool Jim Cohen,Buddy Emmons or Cool Bobbe's web cast. Cool
I always had stringed instruments at the ready while growing up .Gramps had everything hanging out on a wall ,no cases,and I will continue that with my grandsons.....including my steels.
They even attend some jobs with me .Maybe they'll be as good of roadies as there mother was,or maybe they'll smoke me(not to hard to do that). Laughing

Oh Well Just trying to give them a helping hand . If yes fine,if not ....fine too. Sad

A lot of new talent out there....Jaime Lennon for one Exclamation ......STEEL GUITAR IS IN A GOOD PLACE Exclamation

THANKS PAUL !........****Bob V****
Peavey Guitars
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 1:17 pm    

Here's another Neil Zaza cd cut that I played on. What an amazing guitarist!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAY1WKouT18
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 2:16 pm    

Quote:
How about these talks....Is the D10 fading away or growing in popularity?F

From
Hula Hoop status after Johnny Lee it has tapered off and then rebounded. Probably twenty percent from '78, but steadily growing.

*What does the future of our instrument really look like?

More inroads into serious music, annd the other forms too. Now that they are tuning "ET" like serious instruments.. ( inside joke..)

Unlike the Hula Hoop, Magic 8 ball, Silly Putty, and Sparkle Shirts, the fad after it died away has left literally mountains of finely built intracate machines in closets. They will not be thrown away, and the generation that hauls them out and learns how to make them make music will make a whole new instrument out of it...

*Has the forum debates on universal vs D10, tuning equal or Just Intonation, proven one side right or wrong?

I think I've been proven right, but then I would...

Interesting, I think that the D10 is here to stay, but then so is the Universal..

Post your take.....Do you see any clear directional changes?

Only Little girls will play telecasters, and old men will wear spandex and ride horses..

Smile

EJL
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 2:22 pm    

The two cuts I did for Zaza were my Kline Uni-12 through a hot-rodded Delta Blues 15. Although I have three D-10s, the Universal format seems so elegant, at least to me. And playing in small ensembles, I need those low strings for E9th stuff.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 2:31 pm    

Eric West wrote:

More inroads into serious music, and the other forms too. Now that they are tuning "ET" like serious instruments..

When I play with my classical music trio, the ladies insist I tune ET. And I am more in tune with the viola and cello when I tune that way, but at home, it sounds out of tune to me, so I keep one steel tuned ET and the other JI.
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 2:40 pm    

I don't think there's an "Emoticon" for

"Ducks and heads out to go camping and swimming..."

Iff'n there was...

Smile

EJL