| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Franklin pedal on Emmons Legrande II
Tomi Graso

Sydney / Australia
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 2:54 am    

Just a quick question for any Emmons Legrande players out there , i have installed Franklin change on the 4th Pedal ( which is also linked to C6 which pulls strings 4 and 8 whole tone) and when trying to engage it i feel that the whole guitar is going to collapse on itself ...LOL...
My guitar has 14 hole bell cranks , i have used the 6th hole on the bell cranks for all 3 pulls from the bottom up (strings 5,6,10)...I believe it is supposed to be stiff cause it's pulling the lowering springs. Just wondering how any of you guys have managed to adjust this ??? It sounds great by the way with that change !!! Thanks Kindly for your help !!! Regards
Tomi.........steel
Tomi Graso

Sydney / Australia
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 3:01 am    

Forgot to add , on the lowering fingers for strings 5,6,10 i have ran the pull rods through the lowest hole on the changer or the first hole - looking from the bottom up ! Hope this helps to explain what i did ("wrong" maybe....)
Cheers !
Tomi........steel
J Hollenberg

Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 3:28 am    

Hello Tomi, I've had the Franklin pedal ( only E9th )and that feels stiff.Because of that I have split the Franklin pedal in two.
I use the 5th string lower the most so I removed the 10th string lower.I put it on the LKV.
The 6th string lower is on the RKL with the raise on the 1st and 2th string.
That works perfect and smooth and you have more combinatons of working with the lower.
Tommy White is a good example.
Tomi Graso

Sydney / Australia
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 3:40 am    

Thanks Jack , appreciate your input ! As a matter of fact i already have 6 lower on LKR along with the strings 1 full tone and string 2 half tone raise . So i might leave the 6th string out of the pedal 4.

Will do some testing and let you know how it goes !

Thanks Jack !

Tomi.........steel
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 1:34 pm    

Hi Tomi,

I've added the 5th and 10th string lower on pedal 4 of my Carter, Mullen and Fessenden steels, but left the standard 6th string lower (G# to F# with a half-stop) on RKL. That way the Franklin change is split between the pedal and the lever. (I play Emmons setup.) I did it this way because after a lot of research on the forum it seemed most people preferred it. Also, it was easy to add, whereas installing a pedal 0 for the 5th and 10th string lower was a lot more work (and parts!)

On all my steels the 4th pedal also handles the standard C6th change, and the extra pulls do make a fairly significant change to the feel of pedal 4 - it's a lot stiffer than the first three. I don't use the Franklin Change a great deal, so the extra stiffness isn't a real issue, but as soon as you engage it you really notice the difference.

Maybe a slight adjustment of the return-springs on 5 and 10 might help? I don't have an Emmons LG II, but some of the other forum members who know these steels well might care to comment.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 4:10 pm    

Tomi I have both the 3 pulls on the 4th, and also the 6th lower on a staggered Knee --- but I don't have any of the C6th pulls on pedal 4.... my C6th setup is 5 thru 9 ! On the Zum it is very smooth and not stiff at all .. but I will have to check the bellcrank and changer positions of the rods for you -- I think the same leverage principles will apply, regardless of brand. I'm not home right now so will get back to you later mate.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 6:40 pm    

Tomi, I have the change on both my LGII and my LGIII. Its works well on both guitars. I'll try to remember to see how I rodded the change and let you know.
Hook

Tomi Graso

Sydney / Australia
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 10:13 pm    

That's great Ned , much appreciate for posting ! At the moment i have 5,10 on pedal 4 and string 6 lower on RKL. so i just squeeze the whole thing when i want to use that sound . I find it a bit tricky to synchronze both movements though ....needs to be kind'a in one motion , just need to practice i guess ! But thanks Ned , nice hearing from you.
Where about's in NSW are you, i am in Sydney !
The good ole Sydney town !

Paddy , yes you did tell me that before bout your setup , i might consider that maybe....will cee !!!
Thanks anyway , much appreciate ! Again - i believe 4th pedal on Zum is lighter cause the leverage is different then the Emmons plus i only have double lower , your Zum has triple lower ....Cheers mate !

Hey Hook More, here i am again and always something to modify, yes please if you can have a look at your rodding setup for the 4th pedal , would be a great help !
Thank you so much , hope all is well !!!

Regards
Tomi..........steel
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2010 3:58 pm    

Tomi no problem mate, give me a bell if you need any help
Very Happy
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2010 9:42 pm    

Tomi, I had Franklin change on P 4 on my LG111 SKH but since I already lower string 6 on RKL, I now only have string 5 lower on P4 and it is much more versatile than lowering 5 and 6 on P4.
Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2010 9:16 am    

Email sent Tomi..
Hook

Jeremiah Wade

Bladenboro, NC
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2010 12:05 pm    

On my D10 Rains I have the Franklin pedal on P4 which also raises both A's to B's on the C6 neck. The pedal was very stiff, I ended up removing the string 10 B-A lower and the action is much better. I added the B-A lower on my c pedal. You have more chord possibilities with the franklin change split up. Cheers from Texas