| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hawaiian ? Write your own...
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 1:34 pm    

Afficionados of Hawaiian music take their music very seriously, and are very concerned that the music has to be played exactly as written, with the right chords, in the right key, and to the correct rhythm. Oh Well

Faced with that challenge the answer is simple: I'll write my own tunes. Winking Then no-one will be able to say they're wrong. Very Happy In fact I'll go further; if anyone wants to copy the tunes I write they can play them in whatever key they like. Cool
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 1:42 pm    

Maybe there should be a category in Hawaiian Music called "Hawaiian Swing Steel Guitar". The new players need to make their own mark and not keep promoting only the old players from the past. It's like asking today's steel players only to play the old Country songs as originally recorded. It ain't goi'n to happen !
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 1:42 pm    

Maybe a good idea! Much of the Hawaiian music is hard to find the sheet music for, even on Google. Look for Hula Lady sometime.......
The "tourist" type stuff usually has sheet music available.

Hawaiian music has a traditional aspect as well as the contemporary theme stuff, and the idea is much different than the so-called "country" music.
Much Hawaiian music is about the islands themselves, unlike country, which used to be about trains and bars and women, and now it's about truck drivers , and bars, and women Very Happy Very Happy
Darrell Urbien

Echo Park, California
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 6:05 pm    

Perhaps Mike Neer will chime in about what it was like to write new tunes "in the idiom" when he was a Moonlighter. Even though you could argue they were/are a "retro" band, I always appreciated their originals.

Ooh, maybe we can start arguments about how they don't play "Boxcar With a View" correctly since Mike left!
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 6:38 pm    

Very Happy
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 6:49 am    

I started out on Hawaiian music some 50+ years ago.
I still like to play Hawaiian music but on the pedal steel. It may not sound "original" but I appreciate the ability to get those lush, 3 string chords when played on a pedal steel.