| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What is that blackish saddle Kelly Joe Phelps is using?
Hans Henrik Rasmussen

Denmark, Copenhagen
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2010 1:39 pm    

Hi all,

I was just watching Kelly Joe Phelps' lap slide dvd and noticed that he's got a black/brownish saddle on his lap slide guitar. Does anyone know what material it is made of? My only guesses would be ebony or perhaps buffalo horn or rosewood...

I've taken some pictures for you to look at, but their not too good so I'm hoping someone will have the dvd as well Smile. *EDIT* - you can see a clip from the dvd here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wo8Js3rLLw should help a little.

Thanks for your help,
Hans

Last edited by Hans Henrik Rasmussen on 4 Aug 2010 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Ron Yarboro

USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2010 5:32 pm    

Hi Hans,
I have the DVD "The guitar of Kelly joe Phelps" and I just noticed after reading your post that he has a dark colored saddle on his guitar. I never noticed It before. I think that you're right when guessed that It may be Buffallo Horn. It could also be tusq which comes in black as well. I don't think his guitar would sound that good with a wood saddle.

Ron
Darrell Urbien

Echo Park, California
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2010 9:11 pm    

If you watch the vid posted on this thread, he talks about having an ebony capo made, FWIW.
Chad Winn

Knoxville, TN
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2010 6:13 am    

From what I've read, that's an ebony saddle KJP was using.

He had also stepped away from the two-piece capo to a smaller piece of ebony with a fret on the top.

Here's a page to check out.

http://riverratjimmy.pagesperso-orange.fr/pages/articles.htm

Terry Sullivan wrote an extensive article on KJP (40 pages!) after attending his Fur Peace Ranch lesson. Browse around on the rest of the page - some good reading, tab & downloads.

I saw him play just a few months ago with Corrinne West. He stood and flatpicked the entire night, joining in on vocals. Very strange to see him like that, but the music was just great.
Hans Henrik Rasmussen

Denmark, Copenhagen
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2010 6:52 am    

Thanks guys.

Chad - yes, I've read that summary many times Smile Excellent material. I have never read about him using an ebony saddle so thank you very much for that information. Would you by any chance happen to be able to remember where you read it? Always looking for more info about KJP...

Also, what would be the advantages of using ebony - a less bright, darker sound perhaps?

And cool to hear good things about his duo project. As you may also have read, apparently he was on the verge of quitting as a musician but then found inspiration once again together with Corinne West.

Best,
Hans
Chad Winn

Knoxville, TN
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2010 8:12 am    

Dang - I just reread the Sullivan article, and it said the BRIDGE was Ebony, but didn't specifically reference the saddle.

Sorry 'bout that bit of mis-information...

Now I'll be wondering about his saddle when I listen next time.

Surprised to read that he thought of quitting. That's a bummer - I thought Western Bell was an awesome record.
Hans Henrik Rasmussen

Denmark, Copenhagen
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2010 5:24 am    

Thanks for re-checking Chad - but darn, now we're back in the dark. Does anyone else know this?

Hans
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2010 6:44 am    

Have you tried contact Mr. Phelps directly? I think he'd know the answer. Smile
http://www.kellyjoephelps.net/contact/index.htm
Hans Henrik Rasmussen

Denmark, Copenhagen
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2010 4:23 pm    

Hi Brad,

Well, no - I hadn't really considered that... I guess it didn't occur to me that he might answer such a question. It would also be hard for me to ask him without attaching a lenghty essay of what his music has meant and means to me, but heck I'll give it a try Smile.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Hans
Manfred Nabinger

Germany
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 10:12 am    

Recently I bought some nut and saddle blanks sold as "Buffalo horn" on German ebay. They are dark brown, almost black. I used one as a replacement nut on a Weissenborn copy. Sound seems to be a little bit brighter than before (original nut was bone).