| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tennessee Firebird
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2010 12:52 pm    

Anyone ever heard this album? Vibraphonist Gary Burton and a host of Nashville players, including the Big E?

Your opinion?
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2010 11:04 pm    

Strangely, I have had this record for a long time. B.Emmons played on two songs: On "Faded Love", I have the impression that he wants to play a solo, but holds back because of the vibes taking over, I think it is one of the better songs. He also plays on "I Can't Help It" which I wouldn't have recogniced, without the title on the record.
I like "Born To Loose" a solo piece.
I guess the record was recorded shortly after Bob Dylan recorded "Blonde On Blonde" in Nashville, because it includes three songs from that album.
I think this record is a very uneven affair and not very pleasant listening, except for a few tracks.
Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 2:07 am    

The CD version has a couple of bonus tracks including a smoking but short cut of "Panhandle Rag" featuring Emmons and Spicher.

The changes under the "Faded Love" melody give me chill bumps but I cannot listen to the tunes featuring Sonny Osborne with Steve Swallow on bass and Roy Haynes on drums (trying) to play bluegrass.

Quote:
I think this record is a very uneven affair and not very pleasant listening, except for a few tracks.

Jaochim's comment pretty well sums it up but I think it is nice to have the CD in my collection for historical reference.
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 8:18 am    

Thanks!
Orville Johnson

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2010 10:04 pm    

I love that album! I got it when it came out. I was in a bluegrass band at the time and the title tune was in our set list. Our banjo player played the heck out of it. I also dig the re-harmonization of both Faded Love and I Can't Help It. And I completely enjoy Roy Haynes wild accents on TF as SonnyO plays it straight on the banjo.

Some of the earliest "fusion" music. I think Gary Burton was 18 or 19 at the time. I think the album was way ahead of its time and Burton's playing is beautiful.