| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hey, Would You Pull My Finger? (Difficult Bar Slants)
Mat Rhodes

Lexington, KY, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2010 8:08 pm    

I've been unable to find any posts on this technique, so my keywords may be wrong.

Sometimes when I do a reverse or forward slant involving 3 or more strings, I find it necessary to use the middle and ring fingers behind the bar to sharpen a string (i.e. pull it towards me) or the intonation sounds "off". Using the bottom numbers as fret markers, I usually need to do this with sample grips like the following:

or

or

It's kind of challenging, so I'm wondering if I'm doing it right or if there's a better way. Does anyone use this technique or have a name for it that I can use to search in the archives?

Last edited by Mat Rhodes on 20 Jul 2010 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick Winfield

Pickin' beneath the Palmettos
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2010 2:52 am     six to b seven

on C6, I always use my ring finger to pull the 6 to b7, giving me a full b7 chord.(1,3,5,b7)I pull towards me and up. There are others, this being my favorite
Rick
Matt Berg

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2010 5:08 am     Re: six to b seven

Rick Winfield wrote:
on C6, I always use my ring finger to pull the 6 to b7, giving me a full b7 chord.(1,3,5,b7)I pull towards me and up. There are others, this being my favorite
Rick

Yeah or susses on the 3rd or 5th of the chord are nice too.

But the original post refers to those hinky slants that wouldn't ever be in tune with a straight bar no matter how perfectly they're executed, so it makes sense that the player would need to adjust for intonation.
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2010 6:08 pm     Re: Pulling Strings With Your Bar Finger

Matt Rhodes wrote:
I've been unable to find any posts on this technique, so my keywords may be wrong.

Searching this forum for string and pull gives you 125 hits, most of which are irrelevant. Add in the keyword raise and that narrows it down to 8 threads, some of which have a lot of really good information.

Happy hunting!

BTW one of our members in the Netherlands came up with some amazing string bending techniques back in 1979:

http://www.youtube.com/user/wahelo1#p/a/u/1/XsP-hBIVoi0

Steve Ahola

www.blueguitar.org

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits
Dean Gray

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2010 12:48 am    

Hey Matt, Stacey Phillips does exactly what you are describing, i.e. using a finger pull to temper a "sour" note in a 3 string slant. He does this all over the neck, on a dobro with fairly heavy gauge strings!

He describes his approach in his book "The Complete Dobro Player". It's an amazing resource, worth checking out. He includes a lot of musical examples on the included CD, as well as chord charts. It is mostly geared to dobro high G tuning, but it is easy to apply his approach to other tunings.

Also check out any of the youtube videos of Billy Robinson, he plays incredible stuff using slants and finger pulls.

You're right in saying this stuff is pretty challenging, but it sounds great when you spend some time on it. I "graduated" to PSG a year or so ago, after several years on dobro and non pedal steel, but have since stopped taking the PSG to gigs anymore. I find it much more satisfying, and just more musical, to make the sounds I like to hear on an 8 string non pedal steel.

It's especially rewarding when pedal steel players come up and ask how you are getting "those" sounds out of a lap steel!

Good luck in your search.

Lexington, KY, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2010 7:43 am    

Thanks guys! Seeing someone else do it "correctly" is inspiring. It opens up a whole wealth of possibilities.

Dean, I've been playing C6 PSG for over 15 years and am sick of carrying it around as well. Plus I simply can't get the Hawaiian tone I need from it. I guess you could say I'm "demoting" myself in a sense, but Niesing put a new spin on it. If one could master the ring and middle finger tension simultaneously, look out.