| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anybody used one of these as a case?
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2010 8:03 pm    

So I've had my SuperSlide for about a year now, and the gigbag that came with it has been working great. But I have been thinking about getting a hard case, and the official MSA case is plywood with the carpet type covering, which I don't really like. So I have been thinking about an alternative, and the idea of a Pelican case came across my mind. So my question is, has anybody ever used one of these as a lap steel case? Here is a link to the one I am thinking about: http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail_specs.php?Case=1700
What does everybody think? Even if you haven't done it, do you think it would work?

1981 MSA "The Universal" Bb6 S-12 9/5 | 2024 Excel Robostar Bb6 S-12 8/5 | 2009 MSA SuperSlide C6 S-12 | Peavey Nashville 112
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2010 8:07 pm    

After 3 years of serious searching for cases, mostly in places you wouldn't think to look (gun stores, pawnshops, archery supplies) I'd recommend you contact MSA and see if they will make you a case with a different cover material. I'd think they might be able to
Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2010 8:49 pm    

For a great custom case check with Kevin Hatton http://www.hattoncases.net/
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2010 9:17 pm    

I guess I should have been clearer. I emailed back and forth with Maurice, and he said it makes it MUCH heavier. What I should have been clearer about is a few things: one is that I would still use the gigbag, but just use the hard case when I think it would make me feel better with a real case, and it doesn't have to serve double duty as padding for the stand up base. And when I say I don't really like it, I mean I don't really want just plywood protecting my "baby", as well as I just don't really like the carpet stuff. And I know that plywood is plenty strong, there's just something about it.

1981 MSA "The Universal" Bb6 S-12 9/5 | 2024 Excel Robostar Bb6 S-12 8/5 | 2009 MSA SuperSlide C6 S-12 | Peavey Nashville 112
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 1:32 am     Gun Case

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=118557
George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 5:21 am     edit

edit

Last edited by George Piburn on 24 Jun 2012 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 10:28 am    

Been thinking about it some more, and I realized that if I got the right one, I could cut out a place for my stand.
The only downside I can see is... The warranty doesn't cover against Children under 5! Very Happy Rolling Eyes

Travis Hillis

Nashville TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 12:10 pm    

I wonder if it would hold a powerslide....
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 1:06 pm    

You'd have to measure it against the dimensions of the Powerslide, but it costs almost as much as a Powerslide does. There's a seller on eBay selling Peavey Powerslide Alligator hardshell cases for what it's worth.

These Pelican cases look like just the thing for someone who does a lot of travelling with an expensive instrument.
Travis Hillis

Nashville TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 4:12 pm    

Good point. I didnt think to look at the price on the website Alien Thanks for the link to eBay, time to raid the coin jar. Very Happy
Joseph Meditz

Sierra Vista, AZ
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 8:21 pm    

The only thing I would be concerned about is the foam. Will it off gas? Or disintigrate?

I've seen that egg crate type foam as used in the gun case Joey Ace pointed to last for decades without a problem in my microphone case. On the other hand I bought replacement foam from a camera store for a Haliburton camera case and, after a number of years in the case, when I opened it, to my dismay, the foam was stuck to the camera! It turned out that I got it off OK without damage to the camera's finish. Still, it left me uneasy.

So, I would want to be certain that the foam is compatible with the lacquer finish on your guitar. Same goes for any adhesive within it, especially in a water tight case.

Lastly, FWIW, I too find those carpet covered cases rather unattractive.
Chase Swan

Largo, Florida
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2010 9:22 pm    

Chandler has a very nice blonde tolex lap steel case made by G & G. I have one and it fits the chandler perfectly and my mastertone very nicely as well.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Chandler-Lap-Steel-White-TolexCase-776244-i1152357.gc
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2010 9:51 pm    

Joseph Meditz wrote:
So, I would want to be certain that the foam is compatible with the lacquer finish on your guitar. Same goes for any adhesive within it, especially in a water tight case.

How would you find that out?

Harry Dietrich

Robesonia, Pennsylvania, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2010 1:52 am    

More info on lap steel cases.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1312155&highlight=#1312155

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2010 4:06 am    

Matthew Walton wrote:
Joseph Meditz wrote:

How would you find that out?

I would give the manufacturer or distributor a call and get the specs.
Dean
George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2010 7:45 am     edit

edit

Last edited by George Piburn on 24 Jun 2012 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2010 7:10 am     I use one of these...

I bought one of these for my Oahu Tonemaster. Fits perfectly, and there's room for some extra strings, cable and my leather bar/picks bag. I've had it for about 3 years, and it's been through the ringer. Still works and protects great, and you can customize it.

http://www.pistolandpawn.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=43189&zenid=36b796033acec2ee1c765828dc028426

T
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, A6); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Custom-made 25" aluminum cast "fry pan" with vintage Ricky p'up (C6); 1938 Epiphone Electar (A6); 1953 Oahu Tonemaster; assorted ukuleles; upright bass
wt golden

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2010 12:53 am     case

I have the case you linked. I have used it for my stringmaster for the last many years. I took it to a road case place and had them cut the foam for my guitar perfectly. I have toured around the country flown from Alaska to Key West with it and I have to say - if that guitar and case ever was stolen - I would buy a new case the next day, before I even found the replacement guitar. I have had the original tweed cases and plywood and carpet cases and anvil type flight cases and there is nothing I like more than my pelican case.

I know it might be a little expensive to get the foam cut and velvet'd - I paid around $100 just for that from the case shop (after I supplied them the pelican case) but I can't tell you how easy it is made my life and traveling with that guitar. I will try to post some photos of my case tomorrow, but I like taking care of my instrument and I love how easy it is traveling with that guitar. I can put it in the trailer and if there is a leak - I am ok. I don't hesitate to check the guitar at airports - it has made it through every flight fine.
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2010 8:03 pm    

So should I buy it with or without the foam? I plan on having it custom cut and covered. Do I buy the foam and have them cut that, or will they have their own foam? The foam that comes with it is polyurethane. I am currently working on a diagram to take to somebody who does that stuff so they can cut it out.