| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  should I teach
Delvin Morgan

Lindstrom, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2010 12:45 pm    

Some good friends of mine wants me to teach their granddaughter,who is 12 to play guitar. I have never taught before, where do I start. I welcome any input. Thanks
Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2010 6:28 pm    

Delvin -

Having taught guitar many moons ago and for many moons I can offer the following:

Go to a GOOD music store which has GOBS of sheet music and "method books". The first name which comes to mind is "Alfred's". The series has been around for many decades and is "graduated". That is, after wending one's way through Book 1, one graduates to Book 2 etc., etc., etc.

Then - sit down with Book 1. Read it and understand all that is printed. Be able to instantly play all of the exercises and tunes. Role play - that is, "teach" yourself verbally the material as is presented especially the "theory" and sight reading sections. When you graduate from the key of C to the key of G then be able to explain scale construction and how a key signature is derived. If you somehow stumble over ANYTHING then LEARN IT such that you will not hesitate in teaching it to a novice.

KNOW the correct positions for both hands. KNOW the correct way to depress a string with the tip of one's finger. How about thumb position on the back of the neck? Best position of the guitar? Gripping the pick and picking technique? Think about all aspects of the instrument and the playing thereof.

If the student's instrument has an "action" which is too "high" and will inhibit their progress, do you know how to trim the nut and/or alter the bridge so as to make it easier? Can you adjust the truss rod (assuming a student instrument has one) such that the neck is dead straight or, perhaps, with a barely discernable concave curve to it?

I've just scratched the surface and would welcome a personal communication from you should you desire more information. The above information is not meant to be critical in any sense but, rather, to make you acutely aware of the fact that the student must have continued confidence in their teacher. That can only be attained if the teacher exudes personal confidence.

Hope this gets you off the ground and pique's your interest.

Respectfully,

Richard
Leon Grizzard

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2010 5:46 am    

I think one consideration ought to be teaching towards tunes the student wants to play, not tunes the teacher wants the student to learn. The student may not have ever heard tunes you may consider part of your mother's milk of music, such as Red River Valley, or other first student tunes of an earlier generation. They can get bored and lose interest quickly.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2010 6:15 am    

It takes a special personality to be a good teacher. A patient personality. I never had it. The few times I've taught, I hated every second. I think first step is to decide if you have the personality for it. If not, it is bad for you and the student.