| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Squier Classic Vibe Teles and Strats!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2010 11:26 am    

You know what it's like - you're miles from home with nothing but time on your hands and a lap-top sitting next to you. Before you know it you're buying stuff you shouldn't....

Well: I recalled a recent thread on the Classic Vibe instruments and mentioned it to the guitar-player on the gig. He took me at my word and sent off for the CV "'50s" Telecaster, and it arrived a few days ago.

We were both amazed! The finish and attention-to-detail on this guitar is superb. It played perfectly straight out of the box (literally - they come in a cardboard carton!) with an action that we could have played with on the gig. The frets are nicely finished, it's a real lightweight, too!

I immediately sent off for one myself, and I also have a "'60s" Strat (r/w board and Candy Apple Red) as well as the latest Tele - a sunburst Custom - on their way to me.

At $349 ($379 for the Tele Custom) these are a tremendous buy! The '50's Tele has real 'spank' to its tone - I had to get the complete set before someone 'pulled the plug' on these.

Note to Rick Batey: I think these are pretty close to those 1982 first-issue JVs - I wouldn't want to have to live on the difference! The neck profile is identical!

(Sorry: Too many exclamation marks, but these guitars are good....)
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2010 7:49 pm    

I bought 2 CV teles, 2 CV strats and the CV jazz bass. All are just super and have forced me to sell all but one of my higher priced geetars. The only Fender with better tone and pickups is the older Nashville tele I bought 6 years ago. The Sunburst tele was my last purchase and just happens to have the best neck of all of them so far. I am going to mod it with some Fender Texas pickps, a new pickguard, 4 way switch, and a full contact bridge just because the neck is so good and it plays the best.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2010 3:03 am    

the tele is listed as having a PINE body!
Nicholai Steindler

New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2010 7:25 am    

I really like my 60's CV. It just makes me sad knowing that that will be the first one I sell, as everything else I have is vintage, but since I bought it does seem to be the most played guitar I own (it's getting close to time to trim down the herd). I switched capacitor to a bumblebee, I think the pickups could probably use an adjustment in height for the sound I like, but I've been so lazy I haven't done it yet. It's a great little guitar.
Rick Batey

Post  Posted 24 Jul 2010 7:59 am    

Good decision, Roger! They're really good, aren't they?
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2010 9:24 pm    

Bill Hatcher wrote:
The earliest Tele's often had pine bodies as well, so these are still in line with Fender's history.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2010 6:40 am    

Ron Whitfield wrote:
Bill Hatcher wrote:
The earliest Tele's often had pine bodies as well, so these are still in line with Fender's history.

Regarding the three Classic Vibe Telecaster body materials, according to the Squier website:

The Custom (the sunburst one with the white binding) is alder.

The Thinline semi-hollow body is mahogany.

The 50's is pine.

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2010 10:37 am    

At these prices I may even consider the Jazz Bass!
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2010 1:01 pm    

The Jazz bass has a warm tone and sustains forever. I sold a really nice high tech bass after getting the CV jazz bass.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2010 9:12 am    

ok, lets not lose sight of what they are...fine playing guitars for not much cash. I have one of the 50's CV, the white one, I got it from MF for $279 ! It was used and I had a coupon. Couldn't go wrong. It arrived in brand new condition, not one nick or mark. I put a HipShot G,B and drop D on it, that's why I bought it. It's nice, I like it, it's a good deal, but I did change PUPS, I put a pair of 52RI pups I had in the parts bin, huge difference. Does it replace my other guitars,? not on your life ! I have two 52RI's an 89 and an 88. At the end of the day, as nice as the CV is for the money it doesn't compare to the pair of 52 RI's I have. Please do not lose sight, they are nice guitars for the low end dollars, worth it, but side by side with a great playing and sounding Telecaster it's not supposed to be the same.

THIS ONE ( pine body ) nice neck

Does not replace these, "especially" the one on the left... Ash bodies, REAL NICE necks ! warmer tone overall, especially the fat chords off the front pup.

Come to my house and play them all, see for yourself. Plug the stock CV into one of the amps and compare it to the TONE of the other two and it will be understood in a NY minute. I like the CV's, very kool for the money, but lets not lose sight of what they are and what they are intended for.

And yes I know, you can get 7 of the CV's for the for what I paid for the 2 RI's.

just my take, take it or leave it...

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2010 5:43 pm    

The only one I have played so far is the Custom, which for $380 sure is a nice looking guitar, sounds good, and I like the neck.

It has become difficult to find a place here in Sonoma County with a good selection of guitars anymore outside of Tall Toad Music in Petaluma, but that's a little inconvenient for me just to shoot down there on a whim because it's close to 30 miles south of me toward SF. Our local Best Buy has the music store in the corner of the building, since that chain apparently purchased Guitar Center/Musician's Friend some time back, and that's the only place around that has Squier guitars.

I have been in there and played this one Squier Custom three times, and I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on it but I'm wondering if I'm just going to end up lusting for a higher end Fender Tele and then the Squier might collect dust or have to be sold used at a loss.

I'm no great electric guitar picker, and I'm sure just about everyone on this thread could bury me with their skills, but I'm with Tony - if I had a nice little collection of Fender Tele's I don't believe I would be in some big rush to put them all on the selling block and replace them with multiple Squiers.

I was in San Francisco several weeks ago and I played a Fender Custom Shop Tele at Rocker Guitars that was priced at about $2500 and this guitar nearly brought me to tears, I didn't want to put it down.

I have to say though that in doing repeated A/B comparisons at Best Buy between this $380 Squier and a couple of $1000 Fender American Standard models, it definitely held its own, and is a heckuva a value in comparison, but since nobody will ever mistake me in this lifetime for Brent Mason, James Burton, Albert Lee or Steve Cropper - I take my own opinion of the guitar with a grain of salt.

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2010 11:01 pm    

I only have one CV-a Duo Sonic I that got more out of curiosity than anything else.Wanted to see what all the fuss was about.OK,if my CV is typical,these things are an INCREDIBLE bargain and for the price,they're just great.

BUT....

Great for the price is not the same thing as professional quality.If I were going to buy another Fender guitar to take to work,it'd be a USA model.I think the Squier CVs (and to an extent the MIMs as well)are high-quality learner-level instruments,occupying much the same niche that the Fender Mustang/Les Paul Special were created to fill.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2010 2:02 am    

Mark Eaton wrote:
T

but I'm with Tony - if I had a nice little collection of Fender Tele's I don't believe I would be in some big rush to put them all on the selling block and replace them with multiple Squiers.

The thing about Telecasters, probably all guitars, and I would certainly not argue this...even the high dollar guitars may not be great players.Some are friggin' awesome as mentioned above by Mark and some are ,well , NOT.

For me I pick up and play every Telecaster that I come across and I have done this for the past 20 or 30 years, shows , stores, friends, etc....some are flat out amazing and some are flat out not amazing. When you have one in your hands and it is "right" you know it in a NY minute, and as Mark says it's near impossible to put them down.

The one thing that is apparent with my CV as compared to the RI's is the rigidness, The CV, as nice as it is, is not as resilient, meaning if you push behind the headstock the neck will flex fairly easily, not so with the RI's,you gotta work a little to push the back of the headstock to flex the neck. Why that is, I dunno, I'm not a wood expert. The weight balance of the RI's is way different than that of the CV as well, very natural, comfortable, the CV is good don't get me wrong, but not the same. I guess the way to explain it is if you pick up one of the RI's it's amazingly comfortable immediately, the CV takes a minute or two to find it's zone. That would be my take. But I do understand , one is $1300 and the other is $349... ( both of my RI's were bought used by the way )

Fender did a good job with the CV's and it appears they have hit a nice spot in the market but I will say with certainty, you will not get your $349 back if you decide to move it !

Bottom line, can I gig with the CV, yes...and I will but the 89RI is still coming for the ride !

t

PS...let me know when you guys want to discuss Jazz Basses !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2010 10:50 am    

i stopped at GC in atl today and looked at those. wood selection for the necks was awful. some had grain patterns well over 1/8" wide. the overall look of the guitars was nice, finish was nice also.

on the other hand i found a $119 squire strat with a neck that had the tightest grain pattern you would ever see. nice sustain.

if the grain of the neck is not nice and slabbed and decently tight...i dont look any farther. you would need to look though a batch of these to find one with a good neck on it, but that is getting to be the norm with all fender guitars these days.

great value for those not interested in the wood used for the neck.
Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2010 3:30 am    

Bill, could you tell us why it is important for the grain to be tight?

Does it strictly have to do with sustain? How does it effect the tone?

I appreciate you pointing out what to be on the lookout for, but I would appreciate a more in depth explanation of the "why" behind it.