| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Can buying new stuff make you play better?
Brick Spieth

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2010 6:19 pm    

A lot of equipment has been sold to people thinking that if only I had this or that I'd play better, and I must admit I've caved in to that notion on more than one occasion, but OMG! I just plugged into the Sarno Tonic and Furlong Split I just got delivered today from a fellow forumite, and darned if I don't play better already. Well, maybe not, but my noodling sure sounds better, and the extra time I know I'm going to be practicing will make me better eventually. How the heck can a combo sound this good?
Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2010 7:30 pm    

Nothing will 'make' you play better except you.

However a lot of instruments can limit your technique, and the learning of new techniques.

Thanx,
Jim
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2010 7:56 pm    

Sometimes a change in gear can refresh and inspire you. It doesn't always have to be an expensive new guitar either. Changing your amp settings, or ditching a stompbox that has been adding noise to your signal, changing thumb picks - all kinds of little things can trigger a renewed interest.
Brick Spieth

Post  Posted 13 Jul 2010 11:06 pm    

I'm just blown away by how good these two pieces of equipment sound together and how smooth and musical the tone is. I was prepared for a good sound from all that has been written about these two companies, but expectations have been exceeded. Of course new gear can't make you play better, but you sure can sound better.
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2010 12:28 am    

Anything that makes you feel better will influence your playing. If the bass player gets a better amp, that can make me feel and play better Very Happy
If he gets a better tuner, it will definitely make you play better. Smile

Last edited by Olli Haavisto on 14 Jul 2010 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Ray McCarthy

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2010 2:38 am    

What are these two pieces of equipment and what do they do?
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2010 4:03 am    

Didja ever notice that new clothes can make you feel better, if only for a while?

Anything that makes you feel better (i.e. mood elevation) will encourage you, help you, and assist in achieving a goal.

Brain chemicals at work. Dopamine to the rescue. Too bad the effect wears off after a while.

It's darned hard to learn or design anything when "in a funk". New (steel) stuff restores the curiosity and experimental thought processes, at least for me.

Capitola, CA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2010 6:16 am    

Any equipment that produces a noticable improvement in tone will permanently put you a step closer to your "sound", and it's effects will last you, like, forever. I felt the same way you do now, and still do, upon receipt of the Axe-FX, and then the Telonics pedal. Yeah sure, practice till your balls fall off, but the wonders of circuitry can sometimes do... wonders.
Sherman Willden

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2010 6:41 am    

I used to own a matchbox and a delay which I gave away with the Mullen I had to sell in '95 or so. Now I'm playing straight thru the 112. It seemed the matchbox made me play better. Does the Black Box provide the same affect as the matchbox?
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2010 6:46 am    

Congratulations Brick! You have the Mercedes AMG of amps, in my opinion. As others have said, inspiration can make you play better.
"Teach Your Children Well"
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2010 6:58 am    

A piece of new equipment always makes you play better until you start missing the old equipment you sold to buy it! Rolling Eyes
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2010 7:11 am    

I was never very good at doing hammer ons. My steel bar of choice had always been the hollowed out lighter bars because of thei mellow tone.

A few days after aquiring a 15/16 full weight bar, I discovered that it bounced off the strings like crazy. All of a sudden my hammer on technique was flawless. So there's an example of new equipment dramatically improving technique. It also improved the sustain and was a bit less harsh on the higher frets.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Brick Spieth

Post  Posted 14 Jul 2010 8:01 am    

My problem is that I almost never sell off old gear. I had to quit building tele parts guitars because it was just getting out of hand. I may need to sell off a few things because of what they say about the only thing better than a Furlong Split is TWO. I am certainly not worthy, but feel it is my duty as a patriotic American to do my bit to help the economy.
Mac Knowles

Almonte,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2010 8:48 am    

I've been around the music scene for close to 60 years. It still bothers me some when I see a guitar picker with a $2000 Strat or a Les Paul, and can only play 3 chords poorly. Some folks just have to have the best thinkin' they'll get better....some never do! And on the other hand, about 3 years ago I gave a cheapie electric to a kid that came into my shop. Recently he got himself a new Telecaster...and WOW he's now one of the best "chicken pickers" I've ever heard. At 17 an amazing talent! I don't have a lot of stuff....I never liked the sound of my Fender Super Twin for pedal steel. I got rid of it and got an old but updated Session 400. What an amazing difference in tone etc. Makes you want to play and play and play. That's my story....if you can, get whatever makes you sound as close to that elusive sound that's in your head, and never mind what the rest of the world is using.
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2010 9:33 am    

Brick, you definitely need two so you can run stereo through a delay. And practice telling people why you can't get that smile off your face....they will think you are up to something.
"Teach Your Children Well"
Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2010 6:58 pm    

Jim Bates wrote:
Nothing will 'make' you play better except you.

However a lot of instruments can limit your technique, and the learning of new techniques.

Thanx,
Jim

I agree, when I first started out I was playing Sho-Bud Maverick. Very limited in what one can do. It comes with one knee lever and three pedals. And that was over 30 years ago, with in six months, I had to move up to a Pro III custom aluminum necks for better sustain, with E9& C6 tuning and four knee levers. Then about 10 years ago, I bought a used 1977 Emmons Push Pull D10 with 8&5. That is one sweeeet rig.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2010 8:25 pm    

I bought my Millennium because of its light weight, and did not expect it to improve my playing, but the tunable splits did just that. They allow me to play things that my older steels did not, until I had the splits surgically installed.

The fact that it was new did not make the difference. It was the improved changer with its capacity to do more things.

Last edited by Mike Perlowin on 14 Jul 2010 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Lavelle

San Mateo, CA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2010 10:14 pm     Re: Can buying new stuff make you play better?

Brick Spieth wrote:
A lot of equipment has been sold to people thinking that if only I had this or that I'd play better, and I must admit I've caved in to that notion on more than one occasion, but OMG! I just plugged into the Sarno Tonic and Furlong Split I just got delivered today from a fellow forumite, and darned if I don't play better already. Well, maybe not, but my noodling sure sounds better, and the extra time I know I'm going to be practicing will make me better eventually. How the heck can a combo sound this good?

I don't think any one piece of gear can make you play better, but almost any new gear will inspire you to play differently. That's what GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) is all about! IMHO, it's an even bigger kick to build it yourself (see my link, below), but the important thing is to find new challenges, or at least new places to explore.

Happy hunting,
Mark

Casper, Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2010 7:58 am    

Practice, practice, practice, practice!

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2010 8:03 am    

Quote:
Can buying new stuff make you play better

The most significant piece of equipment that improved my playing was a recording device. Whoa!
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2010 9:43 am    

The most significant piece of equipment that improved my playing was a recording device.

Ditto. When you're concentration on what you're doing, you can't concentrate on what you're doing - so to speak. The other thing that made the biggest difference was using lighter bars, because I want to play different things than the usual.
Jack Dougherty

Spring Hill, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2010 1:30 pm    

Better equipment may help.......but not a substitute
for raw talent and as mentioned.....hard work.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2010 2:58 pm    

I improved dramatically after I sold my '72 Shobud, and bought my Kline Uni. I still have, and love my Kline! Best guitar evah! But,,, then again,, I also have four Shobuds,,,,, I dunno,,,,,,,
Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2010 3:23 pm     Can it help?

YES YES YES My first pedal steel was a beautiful looking natural birdseye maple D-10 8 & 0 but it was a piece of crap. When I got a real Sho-Bud it made all the difference.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2010 3:43 pm    

Better tone (A) = better playing (B) A=B
Better amp (C) = better tone (A) A=C
therefore B = C and better gear(amp in this case) =better playing