| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Western Swing
Peewee Charles

Waterloo,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2010 1:18 pm    

After I bought the Timejumpers DVD, I was instantly hooked on this great music....What an amazing group of talented players...sure miss John Hughey....Paul, you're blowing the doors down...A group of us Canadian studio players decided to put together the "Western Swing Authority" similar to the Timejumpers & are playing every other Tuesday at the Commercial Hotel in Maryhill, Ontario having a blast...Just cut 11 Western Swing standards live off the floor like the old days & are being mixed as we speak...It is so much fun bringing back this great music & seeing the smiles of people in the audience........You can check it out at http://www.myspace.com/thewesternswingauthority Let's keep this great music alive....All the best to everyone....Peewee Charles ps Here's the video article The Record did on us 2nd show....no rehearsals..... http://news.therecord.com/videogallery/532660

Last edited by Peewee Charles on 4 Feb 2010 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2010 1:29 pm    

Hi, Peewee ... I didn't know there was a DVD available for the Timejumpers. I'd love to purchase one of those myself. Smile

I checked out your link and thoroughly enjoyed it. I love what you guys are doing. Smile
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Peewee Charles

Waterloo,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2010 1:39 pm     Western Swing Authority

Hey Jim, Thanks for the nice complement on Western Swing site...it's been a blast playing this music... Here's the site to buy the Timejumpers DVD.... http://www.thetimejumpers.com/music it's a great DVD with lots of great stuff from John......We just cut 11 tunes live off the floor....mixing it as we speak....turned out awesome with some great players & will be out soon....A lot of the great standards...All the best...Peewee
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2010 2:05 pm    

Thanks, Peewee ... I'm ordering it straightaway. And, when your project's complete, I'd like to order one of those as well. Smile

I've always loved your playing and first got turned on to it back with Gordon Lightfoot's Summer Time Dreams album (a vinyl of which I still have in like-new condition) ... when I heard Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and Protocol, I was hooked on your playing right then and there. Been a faithful listener since and eagerly looking forward to hearing more of your Western Swing Authority stuff. Smile
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Peewee Charles

Waterloo,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2010 2:15 pm     Western Swing Authority

Thanks Jim...appreciate the kind words...I had a lot of great years with the legend, Gordon Lightfoot...he taught me alot & met a lot of great fans in my world travels over 16 years with him....Having a lot of fun playing & recording with George Canyon now & especially the Western Swing Authority, Spread the word for us....let's keep this great music alive...All the best....
Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2010 2:16 pm    

Great sounding band. I don't know if there's anything more fun than good ol' Western Swing.

Waterloo,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2010 2:34 pm     Western Swing

Thanks Dave...It is such great music....Just listened to some Speedy West/Jimmy Bryant cuts....man that was great stuff back then...apppreciate the nice words....Peewee
Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2010 3:00 pm    

I bought the DVD and then bought the CD Mostly to get a CD of Dawn singing Leaving and saying goodbye.
She can really sing that.
Peewee Charles

Waterloo,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2010 3:17 pm     Western Swing Authority

Paul, Dawn has an amazing voice.....I can listen to that DVD & never get tired of it...Stacey, the female singer in the Western Swing Authority does a great rendition of Sweet Memories...It gives me chills every time we do it & when I play the solo, my thoughts are with John Hughey every time....he was such a great player & human being....
Peewee Charles

Waterloo,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2010 7:56 pm     Western Swing

Thanks for all your positive response....let's keep this great music alive forever....... http://www.myspace.com/thewesternswingauthority
http://news.therecord.com/videogallery/532660
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2010 9:48 pm    

For influences don't forget Bob Wills. He was a great influence on Spade Cooley and just about every one else in this genre of Music. Spade Cooley's theme song before "Shame on You" was Steel Guitar Rag played by Joaqin Murphy. One of the pioneer Guitar Players with both BW and Spade Cooley was Jimmie Wyble who just died last month at 88 years old. All the great arrangemets by these Babds had to be worked out, learned, and memorized. There was no reading of Music or Cheat Sheets on the Bandsand. They had to know enough tunes to play four and five hour dances in front of thousands of Cancers and spectators in front of the Bandstand.. I'm so glad to hear you are getting into this type of Music to keep it going. When Spade Cooley finally added Horn Sections to his Band, they did read from charts but the Violin and Guitar players still had to memorize their parts.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2010 1:48 am    

Thanx fer the heads up Peewee
y'all cook & swing mighty fine Winking
Peewee Charles

Waterloo,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2010 5:39 am     Western Swing

Thanks Billy for all this great information, I was not aware of one of the pioneer Guitar Players with both BW and Spade Cooley, Jimmie Wyble....There were some great arrangements....

Thanks Crowbar for the positive feedback, it is so much fun getting up and playing this great music with WSA...all the best...
Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2010 1:31 pm    

Billy,Our western swing band has far more than 5 hrs. of arranged material and we never use written music unless we have a horn section set in. Some of the older material gets a little fuzzy sometimes,partially do to band member changes. We only work about once a week and don't practice as we are spread out way over 200 miles. Even with that we can generally hold to arrangements pretty well. It helps that 4 of us have been together over 15 years. Roger
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2010 1:38 pm    

Roger: As long as there's a TEXAS we will always have Western Swing. Keep the faith !
Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2010 6:54 am     Time Jumpers

I was fortunate enough to see the Time Jumpers playing live in Nashville about a month of go. OMG what musicians. Just outstanding. I bought the CD as well as a CD of John Hughey.

If you get to Nashville on a Monday night, the Time Jumpers plan at the Station Inn most weeks.

Waterloo,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2010 7:48 am     Western Swing Authority

Hey Mac, I did a showcase with George Canyon on Broadway for Fanfare & was unable to get over in time to see the Timejumpers.....I can hardly wait to see them...They are amazing musicians...All the best....Peewee
Jimmy T. Vaughn

Porter, OK
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2010 8:24 am    

Great stuff PeeWee,I live here where it all began and I have been listening to it for over 60 years
and you guys as good or better as any I have ever heard,and thanks for keeping western swing alive.
T-u-l-s-a Straight A Head
Charlie St Denis

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2010 8:52 am    

Hey Pee Wee
We're gonna get a few from around
your neck of the woods and hit
Nashville and catch those amazing
Timejumpers some day. It's a blast
to pick with ya on Tuesday nights
and now I don't have to move to
Texas to play the music I enjoy.
Mr.Chuckles Laughing
Tom Harris

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2010 11:15 am    

I have always been a 100% fan of Western Swing,,and I have the "Timejumpers" dvd,,would advise anyone who can to get a copy of it,,I know Bob Wills is still the king of Western Swing,,and to me,,I'll have to say that Hank Thompson and his Brazos Valley Boys runs a close second,,always love them Boy's..
Tom Harris...
Peewee Charles

Waterloo,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2010 11:53 am     Western Swing

Hey Mr. Chuckles, The sooner the better!!!! Can't wait to see the Timejumpers & my hero, Paul......Great playing with you buddy....you lay the groove down....& we don't have to go to Texas to do it..The new CD will be awesome......
Peewee Charles

Waterloo,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2010 10:19 am     Western Swing

Totally with ya Tom....I think I have worn out the Timejumpers DVD...Thanks......
Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2010 1:43 pm    

Tom Harris wrote:
I have always been a 100% fan of Western Swing,,and I have the "Timejumpers" dvd,,would advise anyone who can to get a copy of it,,I know Bob Wills is still the king of Western Swing,,and to me,,I'll have to say that Hank Thompson and his Brazos Valley Boys runs a close second,,always love them Boy's..
Tom Harris...

I know that "Spade Cooley" is "The King Of Western Swing", and that Bob Wills NEVER used that phrase.

For some reason after Wills died, the media marketing people started calling him "The King Of Western Swing", but that moniker was Spade Cooley's, not Bob Wills.
I don't get why people want to change history.
When Merle Haggard passes are we supposed to start calling him "Possum", or "No Show Jones"? When Alan Jackson's gone should we all say he was "King George" of country music?
Peewee Charles

Waterloo,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2010 1:54 pm     Western Swing

Thanks to everyone for the overwhelming response & feedback to this great music. I am enjoying this music so much & to be able to play it every other week & see the happiness in the fans.There is nothing like it in the world. Older couples dancing & singing to the old standards & so happy....What a great feeling.Here's a link we set up to the Western Swing page if you want to become a fan.... http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Western-Swing-Authority/273886558820?ref=mf#!/pages/The-Western-Swing-Authority/273886558820?v=info&ref=mf we launched it a couple days ago & have over 1200 fans from across the continent.It is alive. The new cd will be out end of month & is being mixed as we speak. Thanks again to everyone & especially my hero, Paul Franklin. You have always blown me away with your amazing style, creativity, fabulous musicanship & what a great human being.....All the best to everyone....Peewee www.myspace.com/peeweecharles
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2010 10:09 am    

Just watched that Time Jumpers DVD again last night. I just can't get over John Hughey..........