| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thread Size
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2010 7:02 am    

Does anyone know the proper thread size for 7/64" ShoBud pull rods - I think it's either 4-40 or 5-40.
Thanks!

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2010 7:25 am    

Skip, it is 5-40
Jerry
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2010 8:02 am    

Thanks, Jerry!!

Lopez Island, WA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2010 9:03 am    

Jerry, I am not questioning your answer, but there's something I don't understand. All the thread size charts show the major diameter of #5 threads as being 0.125" (1/8"). My question is, how can you have #5 threads on a rod that's only 7/64" in diameter? It seems like it wouldn't be possible. I don't have a ShoBud; I'm just trying to learn from your experience. My Sierra has 1/8" diameter rods, so I've always just assumed it used 5-40 threads.

Thanks,
John
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2010 9:36 am    

My Franklin has 1/8" aluminum rods and 6-40 threads. 1/8" is slightly small for #6 threads but with the 40 TPI it works out OK.

I suspect that is the same case with the Sho-Bud rods and the 5-40 threads.
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2010 10:08 am    

Hi Jack - I tried 1/8" and it won't go through the changer holes so I ordered some 7/64" drill rod from Fastenal - should have them Wednesday. Also found a used 5-40 die on E-bay for 4 bucks, so I'm in business. I'd like to switch it all to aluminum but trying to find 7/64" aluminum rod doesn't sound like my idea of a good time. Now that I think about it, I might be able to ream the changer holes enough to use 1/8".

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2010 11:39 am    

Skip, Franklin uses a different puller design than the Sho-Bud's (at least the ones I've seen) so 1/8" rod may not work with the pullers, even if you could drill out the rod holes in the changer. I'd go with what was originally used.

My original comment was just about using 40 TPI on smaller diameter stock.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2010 10:31 am    

If the threads are "rolled on" instead of die cut, the thread diamater will be larger than the rod!

http://www.portlandbolt.com/faqs/rolled-vs-cut-threads-bolts

I ran into this on my Emmons push pull rods.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2010 10:32 am    

Smile I don't know bout Al pull rods Skip, unless u have a special alloy in mind with substantial tensile resistance it could be a prob IMO...Stormy
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2010 1:58 pm    

Franklin uses 1/8" Aluminum rod for the pull rods. My Franklin is almost 29 years old (it is a late 81 model) and there have been zero problems with the aluminum rods.
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2010 7:01 pm    

I have found that using the cieling wire that is used to tie up the accoustic cielings, is so close to the right size for the Sho~Buds. You can get a 10' piece at home depot, or lowes, for about a buck. It will thread with a 5-40 die.

Bladenboro, NC
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2010 7:28 pm    

Tower Hobbies has servo rods at a great price and they come threaded on one end. They have several sizes or rod available and sell the small die as well. I bought a lifetime supply for my Rains for like twenty bucks. Happy hunting.

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2010 2:59 pm     Thread size

Don't have my machinist book handy but memory 3/32 4=40 7/64 5-40 1/8 6-32. Fastenal has 7/64 untempered drill rod which is the size for Emmons, Derby. I ordered those and made a friend some a short time ago. Rolled threads will make the diameter half the depth of the threads larger as it raises the medal between the threads as the dies push down. I use a small lathe to cut the groove then jig bend the 90 degree bend. Had a friend who was a career sheet metal US Air Force man.He could lose a person when he got into alumnium its probally out there in the space or air craft bussiness if you could find it to purchase. GOOD LUCK