| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Jazz Room at the 2010 ISGC
Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Jazz Room at the 2010 ISGC
Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2010 2:13 pm    

Sorry it took so long to put up a post about the Jazz Room. Our time has been slightly changed. It's Saturday Sept. 4th from 9:30 am to 1:30 pm. The confirmed players thus far are Dave Easley, Jim Cohen, Russ Wever, and a new addition Mike Sweeney. I'm waiting for two more confirmations and I hope they let me know soon and I'll post that when I know. Again we are having Bob DeBoo on acoustic bass and Kyle Honeycutt on drums and of course I'll be playing guitar.

Also I'll have lots of my new CDs there (they have Dave Easley and Bob DeBoo on them). Dave also has a great new CD out. I believe Mike Sweeney does also. As usual we will be selling all the players CDs In the Jazz Room during the show.

See You There!!
Jim
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2010 2:22 pm    

I'm so envious of all you lucky guys who will be unable to make the Jazz Room shows at in St. Louis this year! Unfortunately I won't be there. Sad
I was lucky enough to get to hear some of Jim and Dave's album when I was in Denver last March. It's the real deal!

Jim...I didn't know it was possible to play jazz at 9:30 in the morning? Laughing
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2010 5:25 pm    

Rick Schmidt wrote:
I'm so envious of all you lucky guys who will be unable to make the Jazz Room shows at in St. Louis this year!

? Whoa! ?

Rick Schmidt wrote:
I didn't know it was possible to play jazz at 9:30 in the morning?

Only if its a continuation of a gig that started the night before!
Steve Alcott

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2010 7:01 pm    

There's more than one 9:30????
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2010 7:27 pm    

Maybe I meant to say was "I don't envy you guys who are able to make it?" Winking Winking Winking

Oh Geez....you must know by now that there's no beginning to my great communication skills.
Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2010 2:04 pm    

Maurice Anderson isn't making it to the Convention this year so David Wright is taking Reece's place. David is a blast to play with so I'm looking forward to him playing.

Rick Schmidt might not be able to communicate in english but he sure can speak fluently in JAZZ, my favorite language. He was here in Denver in March and we played some jazz standards (he was on guitar). I knew after about 3 notes it was going to be a blast and I was right. Unfortunately he can't come to the Convention this year, maybe next year he'll be in the Jazz Room (his jazz steel playing is great!).

Jim
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2010 5:15 am    

L@@K forward to playing the Jazz room, always a great time with Jim and the boy's Very Happy

As a side note, Wish Rick Schmidt could be there to play, Just a all around GREAT talent... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2010 6:52 am    

I'm really looking forward to playing in the Jazz Room this year. My buddy(????), Bob Taillefer, talked me into this. This will be my fifth year playing the convention and I hope to be there many more years.

Thanks to Jim for selling my new CDs in the Jazz Room while we're playing. I also have a regular booth inside the ballroom where the rest of my product will be available.

Come on by and enjoy all the guys who will be playing!

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2010 9:14 am     The schedule finally

This year we are on Saturday Sept. 4th, 2010 from 9:30 am to 1:30 pm. The schedule is:

9:30 am to 10:00 am Mike Sweeney
10:10 am to 10:40 am Russ Wever
10:50 am to 11:20 am Jim Cohen
11:30 am to 12:00 pm Dan Tyack
12:10 pm to 12:40 pm David Wright
12:50 pm to 1:20 pm Dave Easley

I'm really looking forward to hearing Mike Sweeney and Dan Tyack in a jazz setting. They'll be great I'm sure. See you all there!

Jim
Dirk B

Harrisburg, MO, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2010 12:01 pm    

Jim Loessberg is on Scotty's list -- is it too late to persuade him to do a short set for the jazz show?
Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2010 2:15 pm    

I asked Jim early on to play and said we'd sell his new CD during the show and never got a reply. I was hoping he'd be on the show too.
Jim
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2010 3:56 pm    

Actually, Jim did get back, but by then the spots had been filled. It would be great to have him on the Jazz Room again. Maybe we can line it up for next year.
Jim Loessberg

Austin, Texas U.S.A
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 10:58 pm    

Hi guys,

Yes, I was very graciously invited to play in the jazz room this year but we were on the road for a long period and by the time I answered the e-mail invitation the slots were filled.

It's probably just as well, especially after the way I embarrassed myself the last time!

Thanks to both Jims for thinking of me.

Best,

Jim
Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 8:18 am    

Hey guys,

Don't listen to Jim he sounded great last time and hopefully we'll get him next year.

Don't forget there is a new Jim Loessberg Jazz CD out, look him up and buy it!

Jim
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2010 5:54 pm    

You guys have fun in the Jazz room this year, I will not be at ISGC for the first time in 14 years. Hopefully by next year the economy will have turned around, and I'll be back on the front row.

If you're going to be at ISGC and have never visited the Jazz room, give it a listen. It's a breath of fresh air in my humble opinion. Jim and Barbara do a lot of hard work to put it together, so go in there and support them. Where else can you hear "Steel Guitar Rag" played Jazz style as Russ Wever did last year. It was awesome.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2010 11:38 am    

Had a great time with the Jazz Boys!!!
I'm on the road go to Dallas Red is driving
and I'm readind the forum.
Very Happy
Steve Alcott

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2010 11:55 am    

"Where else can you hear "Steel Guitar Rag" played Jazz style as Russ Wever did last year. It was awesome."

Please correct me if I'm misinformed, but as long as I've been paying attention, I don't recall seeing Russ on the big stage.
Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2010 1:44 pm    

It was great to meet you David Wright! I believe your guitar might just fit your personality! You have a sweet lady there too. You guys be safe going in to Dallas! I do hope to connect with Maurice soon about some of the ideas we lightly discussed for a few minutes.

And Steve Alcott - I think you are right about Russ Wever. He plays Bass for a number of pickers and I believe he usually plays the tribute pieces during the awards. He's obviously a great player.
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2010 1:56 pm    

Zane
Enjoyed our meeting/visit. your on to something good let's make it happen

your 100% my guitar and I are just alike

and Rebecca is as sweet as they come.
well were 2 hours from home. Red eaten !!up the road
Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2010 2:16 pm    

Hey, Dave. I was the one filming your set for Jim Stahlhut. You asked my for my name during your set. My name can be kind of hard to pronounce especially if you hear it from a distance so that's why I said I wasn't allowed to say my name in pubic...you know...given Steel Radio was live and I am in the witness protection program and have to keep a low profile. Ha! Confused

Always look forward to your dry sense of humor...like when you cut into that guy last year for not wearing his socks!!!
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2010 2:29 pm    

Very Happy Very Happy witness protection & jazz , got to love it , just wear your socks!!

Last edited by David Wright on 6 Sep 2010 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2010 4:27 pm     Thanks

First of all thanks to all of the fans of Jazz Steel Guitar that showed up in the Jazz Room. I really appreciate it as do all the performers. Bob DeBoo and Kyle Honeycutt again did a fantastic job of backing up every player. Mike Sweeney started out the show (at 9:30 am) and came out burning, wow. Russ Wever did his usual fantastic job. Jim Cohen, five years in a row has performed a consistently great job. Another newcomer, Dan Tyack, brought a really different style into the Jazz Room but he fit like a glove. On top of that he brought his buddy Bobby Black in to play with him. What a pleasure that was to play with both of them. David Wright with his bluesy jazz really brought in the essence of Maurice Anderson. David and I have a lot of fun playing together. Then lastly my good buddy (actually all these guys are good buddies) Dave Easley just blew the doors off of it. There is nothing more that I can say about Dave other than he is brilliant, and a pleasure to play with. Did I say that this was the fifth year? I hope we have a bunch more ahead.

Jim
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2010 4:37 pm    

Jim, I know I speak for all the players and the Jazz Room audience in expressing my thanks to YOU and BARBARA for your unflagging dedication to making the jazz room happen every year as a highlight for many of us at the Convention. This has been such a wonderful addition to the ISGC and is exactly the kind of thing that's needed to keep things fresh. I know how hard you and Barbara work, for months ahead, to make this a reality and just want you both to know that it is greatly appreciated. Many thanks to you both!
Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2010 5:34 pm    

I'd like to add my thanks to all the folks connected with the Jazz Room for inviting me to play this year. It was a great time! I'm not really known for my jazz playing but I sure do enjoy it, especially with players of this caliber. I'm already looking forward to doing this again sometime.

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2010 6:01 pm    

Man I wish I could have been there, oh well, maybe next year. I'm sure it was a great show.

Steve, I think you're right, I don't remember Russ playing the main stage either, except for the opening ceremonies. He's a great player.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.