| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Susan Alcorn concert in Houston
Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2003 3:00 am    

For anyone who might be interested, I and three other musicians will be giving a concert of our approach to Chilean folk music. Chilean folkloric music is exceptionally beautiful and very deep (as all folk musics are). For those who are able to come out, I would really enjoy meeting you. This performance will be my first performance with a group in several years.

Below is the blurb written about the concert:

“Remembering the Dream”
Chile: the “other” September 11th”, 1973.

Thirty years ago this month, on Spetember 11th, the United States government funded, instigated, and directed a military coup against the longest running democracy in Latin America -- the Republic of Chile. As a result of this coup, more than 5,000 people including president Salvador Allende lost their lives while many more went into exile. Chile was plunged into a Dark Ages of cultural and social despair that lasted for over twenty years.

The Pauline Oliveros Foundation is proud to present a concert by avant-garde musicians Susan Alcorn, David Dove, Juan Carcamo, and Chris Cogburn -- the Culture in Movement Quartet, performing their interpretations of Nueva Cancion Chilena -- the Chilean folk music renaissance -- the music of Violeta Parra,Victor Jara, Inti-Illimani, Illapu, including the the first ever Houston performance of Astor Piazzolla’s work, “Salvador Allende”.

The concert is in homage and memory to the victims of the September 11th coup, to the beautiful mysterious music of Chile, and to the aspirations of living things everywhere for peace, social justice, and dignity.

Of the victims, perhaps one of the best known was the Chilean musican Victor Jara, the “Bob Dylan” of Chlean folk music. Proceeds from this concert will go to benefit the Plaza Victor Jara,in Pudahuel, Santiago, Chile.

Sunday, September 14, 2003
8:00PM,

Super Happy Funland
2610 Ashland
Houston, Texas
$5

call Supper Happy Funland at 713-880-2100
or go to http://www.superhappyfunland.com
call POF Houston at 713-928-5653
or go to http://www.pofinc.org/houston
Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2003 4:42 am    

This is a little bump for the message, and . . . if anyone gets the Sundance channel on cable, there will be a show about 9/11 (1973) in Chile. It is very informative.

And again, if you are able to attend our concert, please come and say hello.

-- Susan

Graham Griffith

Tempe, N.S.W., Australia
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2003 1:07 am    

Susan,

sounds like a worthy concert ... wish I were there.

I'm astounded you've had no other replies.

Graham
Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2003 1:39 pm    

Thanks, Graham. I wish you cold be here too, though it would be a long walk (on water) from New South Wales.

Take care,
Susan