| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pro Players - Not In Nashville
David Beckner

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2010 8:41 pm    

I was talking to a friend f mine the other day and this question came up so I thought I would ask here for an answer.." How many Pro players are there retired or active who do not live in Nashville...Who are you and who did you play for.?
BEHRINGER RACK TUNER
CUSH CASE RACK
PEAVEY DELTA FEX
PARTS CASTER.Gospel and Classic Country Music
http://www.dbupholstery.yolasite.com
Steve Alonzo Walker

Spartanburg,S.C. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2010 5:53 am    

I am Steve Alonzo Walker and I have been a Professional Road Steeler for 25+ years. I've lived in Nashville three times but after awhile I started commuting from Spartanburg, South Carolina. Only a five hour ride that never bothered me cause I love playing on the road! Artists I have been fortunate to work with are:Johnny Rodriguez, Cissie Lynn(Loretta's Daughter), Sara Evans, Buddy Jewell, David Ball, and currently with Blaine Larsen.
Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2010 8:55 am     me too

im also a retired pro player
worked in and out of nashville for over 25
years it was a great time in my life
I played with some of the big names in the country
music still could if I was in good enough health
so now I teach players and love it
I live about 250 miles from nashville in east tn

Mike Archer Very Happy
Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2010 11:02 am    

Been playing steel professionaly for 40+ years. I, too, did the Nashville scene for almost 10 years, and played with and for some of the top artists of those days....Margo Smith, Wanda Jackson, Dick Curless, Barbara Fairchild, Dave Dudley, Sleep LaBeef, just to name a few. Still play professionaly, but on a more local scene. My love affair with the steel guitar is as strong if not stronger than it's ever been.
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.
Carson Leighton

N.B. Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2010 11:47 am    

David,,I think there are a lot steel players that are professional musicians that haven't played in Nashville...I also believe that you don't have to play with a well known artist to be a pro..There is no doubt in my mind that there aren't some great steel players that noone has ever heard of...Does this make them less than professional, just because they haven't played with a well known vocalist..?
David Beckner

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2010 12:41 pm    

Carson ,
maybe you misread what the topic was or maybe I just worded it wrong.I clearly am not taking away from any one's credentials..The conversation that a friend and I were having brought up the topic of steel players who played for a pro. act that do not reside in Nashville..Its almost a cliche' when a person says'I play for so and so' that people automatically assume you are from Nashville..
Example-- Jim Lindsey is a very good friend of mine who lives in Texas and is formerly known as the steel player for Ty Herndon.
This maybe could be like a WHERE ARE THEY NOW question
BEHRINGER RACK TUNER
CUSH CASE RACK
PEAVEY DELTA FEX
PARTS CASTER.Gospel and Classic Country Music
http://www.dbupholstery.yolasite.com
Carson Leighton

N.B. Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2010 11:23 pm    

David,,there probably aren't a lot of people that will call themselves a pro.,even though they may be one..It seems to be a musicians way of thinking, that they are never good enough.. I can think of a least three darn good steel players,,who are good freinds of mine that are excellent players,,but they would never toot their own horn..These guys can play! I would say that these people are pros, but they are not that well known...
I think what you are referring to, is people that are well known musicians that are not associated with Nashville...It's a little different now than it used to be..There are kids up around here that can play circles around a lot of us..I know of a few young fiddle players that can play just about anything...They can play classical, jazz, traditional fiddle tunes, back up a vocalist, you name it, and do it well..The thing is,,most of them are less than 20 yrs. old....Regards,,,Carson
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2010 6:43 am    

my mind instantly jumps to all the great pros in Cali and Texas, too many to list really right?
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2010 10:06 pm    

Johnny Cox. Professional part time job holder. That's what a professional musician is. 35 years Gnashville, six years Texas. Rolling Eyes
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2010 10:13 am    

I have never lived in Nashville but have passed thru it many times like a gall stone! Laughing
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.