| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ADDED MP3!! DV guitar on blues session
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2010 6:57 pm    

I had a two day recording session Mon/Tues to record a CD project of the Gospel songs of Blind Willie McTell. I needed a guitar that would give me a good slide acoustic guitar sound and would be a bit different sounding. I did not want to cop the official 12 or 6 string bottle neck sound, because it is just too obvious and also I don't ever like to mess with the heavy weights. Better to go a different route.

I had a incomplete DelVecchio short scale guitar that I got in a deal with another guitar about 5 years ago. Cone, biscuit, tailpiece, and cone cover was missing. I took the guitar, put on a 6 string short tailpiece NOS 60s Kay part that I found on the net, dropped in a spare DV cone that I had, made a biscuit from purple heart and installed a raised wooden nut and a raised aluminum saddle and put 5 strings on it....I thought, heck...five will be plenty and stuck a few pieces of tape on the fretboard for markers and various pieces of napkins to deaden ringing at the keyhead. Man that thing sounded like a million dollars and was the hit of the session. Now I am going to be stuck with leaving it like this for future recording. Loud and yet a very nice woodish tone. Here is a pic. The blues in is it!

Last edited by Bill Hatcher on 24 Jun 2010 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2010 7:46 pm    

Looks like "blues" to me, I'm sure it sounds like it too! Smile I can only see 5 strings,- did you set it up in the "Keith" open G tuning?
Chad Winn

Knoxville, TN
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2010 7:49 pm    

Awesome post. Great work on the guitar - very clever.

Any more pics of the guitar, or any additional info on the recording? I'm a huge McTell fan.

Thanks -
C
Stephan Miller

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2010 7:50 pm    

Five strings was a smart choice-- always leave 'em wanting more! Very Happy Just messin' witcha, Bill...you put together something very funky & cool there. Love to hear some sound clips!
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2010 6:35 am    

I tuned it low to high E D G B E. When we played in the key of G, I just raised to low string to G...that gives a G6 chord with a nice octave set G in the low end.

We recorded live, no overdubs. Me, upright bass, piano, Buddy Greene from Nashville harmonica, Parrish Ellis of the group the Wiyos played National Resonator round neck guitar and the singer. I bought my old RCA ribbon mics and an old Ampex tape recorder mic pre and some other tube stuff to get some good tones. Here is a pic of four of us doing some jamming after the session for a photographer. We recorded in a big church.

The Gospel tunes of McTell have not been recorded much, some maybe not at all so it was fun to do them.
After listening to his original recordings playing bottleneck on the big Stella 12 string guitars I can understand why he is held in high regard.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2010 6:37 am    

Very cool, I'd love to hear it.

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2010 6:27 am     MP3 of a cut

Got a cut of one of the songs off this Blind Willie Gospel project. Some folks wanted to hear the old Delvecchio guitar. Coped a Howlin Wolf lick or two. How can you not!

http://www.mediafire.com/?m2z2zyi5yvg
Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 24 Jun 2010 2:51 pm    

Bill, you are just too cool! Very Happy