| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New mahogany steel/shipped for under $170?!
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2010 12:47 pm    

Overall, this may well be the best bang4buck steel (w/strings thru!) out there http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PRO-STYLE-ELECTRIC-LAP-STEEL-LAPSTEEL-SLIDE-GUITAR-/180523806450?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item2a080eaef2
Depending on the quality of the sound, this might work well with no mods. Quality of the parts is certainly suspect, but at this starter price, loading up with higher end parts could produce a killer 6 stringer for still low doh. And it's made in America. I guess we do still make a few things here!
Steve Cunningham

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2010 1:05 pm    

One of my students bought one of those - the pickup sounded muddy, the knobs were loose, and the tuners were pretty bad. He upgraded the pickup (DiMarzio Soapbar), had the body routed for a neck pickup (Rio Grande Tele), and the guitar sounds great now. It still goes out of tune, but one thing at a time, I guess.

YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/user/SingingStringsMusic?feature=mhee
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2010 1:20 pm    

Thanx, Steve, I'm sure your 1st hand comments will greatly help those interested in what to expect, the expected...
But just for a nice looking string thru solid mahogany body w/some basic hardware, this is a great starter/project price.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2010 3:00 pm    

It's not made in America, unfortunately. The Recording King RG-31 lap steel is made in China.

It's okay for a starter, but as with all cheap guitars, it really needs upgrades to be usable by more than a beginner. Having the strings pass through the body is a nice touch and that's one less item to upgrade.

I think the Rondo SX LG-1 lap steel is a better value, since it comes with a very nice hardshell case. They both have solid mahogany bodies, but the Rondo has a Gibson-style tailpiece and bridge rather than the Recording King's simpler and more effective bridge. It's a matter of personal preference on which one would be a better buy for upgrading.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2010 3:11 pm    

Brad Bechtel wrote:
It's not made in America, unfortunately. The Recording King RG-31 lap steel is made in China.
Thanx for the correction. I read it was American built... Oh Well
I think the RK having more mass would provide more tone and sustain, before depending on a few other factors. A more substantial bridge might be quite effective.
Those Rondo cases are indeed something!