| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CMT Awards
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2010 6:56 am    

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldderby/2010/06/carrie-underwood-knocks-taylor-swift-off-pedestal-at-cmt-music-awards.html
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2010 7:18 am    

Yawwwwwwwwwwn..Shucks,There was probably something good on TV last night so I did not watch the awards..
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2010 7:19 am    

Here we go again... Rolling Eyes

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2010 7:24 am    

The highlights for me was:
Easton Corbin
Steel Magnolia
Rimes singing "Swinging" with John Anderson playing a Les Paul
Toby Keith & band
Miranda & band
Keith Urban and John Mayer knocked it out of the arena! Smile
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2010 2:39 pm    

Quote:

Really? Embarassed
Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2010 4:52 pm    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Quote:

Really? Embarassed

She did it as an uptempo train beat("That's Alright Mama" Elvis groove), and had a bunch of swing dancers on stage(even though it wasn't a swing beat).

You can watch it here!
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2010 5:25 pm    

Someone hit the suck button.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2010 5:35 pm    

Alvin, my reply wasn't part of the (original) quote which was from Theresa. A whole raft of talent wasted on a sub-par song, IMO.
Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2010 5:48 pm    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Alvin, my reply wasn't part of the (original) quote which was from Theresa. A whole raft of talent wasted on a sub-par song, IMO.

I know what your sayin. I always thought John Anderson was better than that song, and at one time thought LeAnn Rimes was better than that, but it's her new single.
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2010 6:16 pm    

Theresa Galbraith wrote:

I missed it. What did they knock out of the arena?
Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2010 6:24 pm    

Keith Urban and John Mayer.....yeah buddy, when I think of country music, these two guys are the first to come to mind. I am just amazed at the contribution to country music these guys have made! Whoa! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2010 6:41 pm    

Had it on but really didn't watch too close. Gotta say that my good buddy and forum member, Dave Ristrim was in the house band. Way to go Dave.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Bruce Meyer

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2010 6:45 pm    

Keith knocked it out of the park for me at Marty Stuart's Late Night Jam at the Ryman last night following his CMT appearance. In addition to two solon songs and some nice discussions with the audience, he played a number of mean acoustic solos along with Marty and the Superlatives.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2010 7:09 pm    

I got to see Cowboy Eddie Longs hands on his beautiful BMI guitar,I really like Jamie Johnson,My favorite music last night was Zack Brown,some serious talent in that band.Leann Rimes still cute as a bug. Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2010 7:17 pm    

I noticed a while ago that the Lady Antebellum song "I Miss You" sounds scary close to Alan Parson's "Eye In The Sky" Whoa!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2010 3:51 am    

Theresa Galbraith wrote:
Easton Corbin
Steel Magnolia
Toby Keith & band
Miranda & band

Theresa, Chris Cline plays his Mullen with Miranda.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2010 4:51 am    

Here ya go Kevin.

The views expressed in this image do not necessarily reflect the views of the poster. Smile
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2010 6:28 am    

Thanks Brett!
I would post Urban & Mayer if I knew how.
Great musicianship, is what I hear!

John Anderson is a legend. Rimes put her spin on "Swinging" and it works! JMHO She's a talent. It's a fun song and it'll go #1 again. I think she mentioned Vince produced the record...very cool.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2010 6:50 am    

Joe Casey wrote:
Yawwwwwwwwwwn..Shucks,There was probably something good on TV last night so I did not watch the awards..

There was nothing good on TV last night, so I didn't watch the awards.

I wish Willie's Place had an awards show on TV. I'd watch that. Ever since I got satellite radio in my car, it's hard to change the station to anything else. It's like a 24-hour country steel guitar channel. Almost every song has a steel hook or steel solo.

CMT - who needs it?

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2010 6:51 am    

Quote:
John Anderson is a legend.

Maybe, maybe not, but that wasn't him playing lead on 'Swingin.' I would bet he was onstage merely as a token because he was the songwriter. In the case of this song, I'd say it's a dubious honor.
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2010 7:11 am    

I'm sure John is a happy man! Smile A talent like Rimes singing his song and bringing it to another generation. Life is good!
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2010 7:51 am    

I just saw the re-run last night so I'm slow to post on this but here are my observations....

Cons....The blond chick who wandered around with a mike in her hand and interviewed people, I thought she was a total waste and would've been better waiting tables at a bar on lower Broadway.

Kid Rock, what can you say about him, I like some of his stuff but he's just not a fit emcee for this program. I liked that tune of his about "singin' Sweet Home Alabama all summer long" or something like that. I think they're trying to attract a younger crowd but ol' Kid's gettin' a little age on him like the rest of us.........

Good Stuff......... The Leanne Rimes version of "Swingin" was really great IMHO. She's still one of the hottest performers and did a great job of the song. My wife and I have a band and we're going to add that arrangement of Swingin' to our set list. I've told her that she can't do the cartwheels or whatever that was that Leanne was doing though....

The Keith Urban/John Mayer thing. Keith Urban is one helluva guitarist, I've admired his playing since his days with "Rodeo" or what that first band of his was called. Now John Mayer? I always thought he was a mediocre wannabe blues player as I'd only ever seen him on Letterman or Leno's shows. Earlier this year I took my 16 year old guitar playing grandson to a John Mayer concert for his birthday. I didn't expect to enjoy it but I came out a huge John Mayer fan. The guy was amazing and the show was fast moving and really showed the talents of him and his super tight band. In the middle he did an acoustic fingerstyle set which really knocked me out. I had no idea the guy possessed the chops he has. If he's back in this area again in the future, I'll be there.....JH in Va.

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2010 8:59 am    

Rick Campbell wrote:
Theresa Galbraith wrote:

I missed it. What did they knock out of the arena?

No answer?
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2010 9:03 am    

b0b you probably were more right than my statement as I was at Tropicana field with some friends..We watched from reserved box seats as the Tampa Bay Rays beat Toronto..They continue to have the best record in baseball..Too me that is great compared to any CMT awards show which to me has a broken record of continuous crapola..
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2010 9:07 am    

Wally Taylor wrote:
Keith Urban and John Mayer.....yeah buddy, when I think of country music, these two guys are the first to come to mind. I am just amazed at the contribution to country music these guys have made! Whoa! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Wally,

I feel the same way. We should get together and have a party and listen to these guys CDs. I love that hard core country sound. I'll bring some Little Debbie cakes for us to eat and you can make some kool-aid.....maybe pop some popcorn and ice cream. Oh gee, I hope my mommy lets me go. She said we can't do it on a school night.

Smile