| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons P/P : Mica shrinking ??
Ole Dantoft

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2010 8:09 am    

Hi gang

I recently took my old Emmons P/P out of the case for the first time in a couple of years and to my complete disbelief the mica on the front seems to have peeled away from the top mostly but also a little along the bottom edge !

At first i thought that the cabinet was bowing/flexing or falling apart, but then after a couple of deep breaths I took out my caliper and measured the actual height of the front, top-to-bottom edge and it's within 1 mm (0.04 of an inch) all the way across the front.

Can the mica actually shrink ??

The guitar has been stored at room temperature all the time !

Rgds
Ole
Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2010 9:05 am    

The body has actually expanded. You may be able to keep it out of the case for awhile and dry it out and it may go back.

The Mica should not change.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2010 9:24 am    

it's growing!! (stand back...i don't know how big this things going to get...!!)
i'd put something like a colorful inlay strip in the gap. no big deal.
Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2010 9:26 am    

It looks like there may be a bit of corrosion on the neck and trim strips and emblem screws, adding weight to the idea this may be a humidity issue. Hopefully some polish and de-humidification will bring it all back to normal.
Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2010 1:09 pm    

You could cover the exposed wood with a black felt tip pen.
Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2010 4:28 pm    

Relative humidity is the largest factor in wooden instrument stability. Low relative humidity tends to be an even greater problem than high relative humidity. It's especially a problem in cold climates where cold dry outside air is brought inside and heated. That lowers the relative humidity even more.

Here’s a good explanation link to Taylor guitars……
http://www.taylorguitars.com/global/pdfs/dry_guitar.pdf

Purchasing a good quality hygrometer is always a good investment. Smile
Ole Dantoft

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2010 8:54 am    

Thanks for the feedback guys !

Humidity was of course one of my initial thoughts, but I just don't understand where that could come from, because the guitar is stored in my music room, where the relative humidity is between 50 and 60 % most of the year (presently 58% at 22 degrees C) , sometimes higher in the summer, sometimes lower in the winter but never extreme.

I went out today and bought a dehumidifier that I have now installed in the room and it's running right now, so hopefully that'll help !

I'm hoping for the best !

Regards
Ole
Ole Dantoft

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2010 9:03 am    

BTW : Peter Freiberger,
the picture was taken with the evening sun shining directly on the guitar, which makes every little blemish shine right at you - it's nowhere near as bad in "real life" thankfully.

(A little polish wouldn't be out of order though Very Happy )
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2010 3:40 pm    

Can the guitar 'breath' in the case or is the case one of those underwater proof case very tight.

Was it laid down on it's side or on it's belly?

Hasen't been parked near a damp wall/heater vent etc ole?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2010 11:38 pm    

Larry,
The case is an original Emmons case, although not the one that originally came with the guitar, but the same kind and it was flat on the floor, with the guitar upside down inside it.

The wall is not damp at all, but I do seem to remember that the last gig I played using that guitar was an outdoor gig in a big party-tent with heavy rain outside. Nothing got wet as such, but perhaps the general humitity in the air combined with a couple years unopened in the case can have caused it ? If I could kick myself I would !

The case certainly smells 'old' and damp, but I didn't pay too much attention to that at first, as it has always been a bit 'funky'.

Best regards
Ole
Rick Winfield

Pickin' beneath the Palmettos
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2010 4:07 am     Tuning

other than the usual tweaking of the strings, will this "swelling" of the wood(?), cause Major tuning problems ?
When the wood is de-humidified, will the mica close the gap?
This sounds like a problem that could possibly affect ALL of us, at one time or another
Rick
Ole Dantoft

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2010 5:06 am    

Rick,
Those are valid questions/observations indeed ! I wish I had the answers !

I can say though, that even though I think the guitar sounds a bit "muffled" right now I haven't noticed any instability or tuning problems. I haven't played it for at least 3 years, so my memory of how it sounded may also have faded.

Ole
Charlie Paterno

Westerly, Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2010 5:17 pm    

I had this problem on a 72p/p. Might be the top mica is lifting and you can't see it because the trim strip is moving with it. Mine was on the rear side and was curling up. Neck screws get tight and put pressure on mica.It did relax a little when the humidity decreased
Rick Winfield

Pickin' beneath the Palmettos
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2010 2:42 am     trim strip

I've noticed on mine, that the metal trim which follows the neck & body joint, is slightly "off square" when it reached the endplates, and the gap is closed.
You wouldn't notice, if you weren't inspecting for it. So far, there has been NO problems with tuning or anything else.
Just the "nature of the beast", or is it something to be alarmed about?
I'm aware that all wood instruments will "reflect" humidity, but a PSG, in particular, is so reliant, and sensitive to its mechanics.
Rick
Bruce W Heffner

Payson, Arizona
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2010 7:21 am     Humidity

Notice the corrosion on the logo screws, the pedal rods and even the aluminium, which is a sign of high humidity. This guitar needs to placed in a very dry space and it should resize. I'm sure someone in Arizona could help baby sit the old girl.
Very Happy

Bruce

"We live in Arizona now."

Payson, AZ
Ole Dantoft

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2010 9:37 am    

Charlie,
No it's not just the top mica unfortunately. I tried to gently clamp it down, with a wood support and a soft cloth for protection but it wouldn't budge even a fraction of an inch !

Rick,
I wish I knew !

Bruce,
I bought my own personal Arizona - in the form of an electrical dehumidifier - so the old girl will stay right here ! Very Happy

Ole
Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2010 11:46 am    

You might consider drawing down the humidity very slowly. It takes a while for the moisture content to equalize throughout a piece of wood.
For what it’s worth, I purchased several dehumidifiers years ago to maintain the proper level humidity in my shop. They did just that, but they also raised the temperature 10 degrees…..in the summer. I found out that a good AC unit is as effective at removing moisture from the air, and it cools at the same time. Smile
Ole Dantoft

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2010 6:11 am    

Jerry,
I'm fully aware that I shouldn't attempt to dry it out in a hurry, so I'm only using the dehumidifier to pull the RH down to "normal" levels around 50 %. We're having a very humid spring this year, so 60-70% is the norm at the moment.

I have also experienced the temperature rise, but a real AC is a lot more expensive, so I'll stick with this solution for now.

On the bright side : I dug out my NV112 today and played the Emmons through an amp for the first time in a number of years and if I said above that it sounds "muffled" that was certainly not right and probably because I was listening to it through a POD and headphones! It sounds like an Emmons should, so the problem is purely cosmetic.

Ole