| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New 13/16" Bullet Bar from Jim Burden
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2010 5:10 am    

I recently received a new bullet bar from Jim Burden in a 13/16" diameter, which is something new. It is made of micrograin stainless steel and is excellent, just like all his other bars.

I have them in various diameters and lengths, from 7/8" to 1" and now 13/16". Initially, I didn't think there would be much of a difference, but there really is. I find that 3/4" is a bit too skinny for me and I like 7/8", but the 13/16" fits comfortably in the hand. I can see it being a good solution for someone whose hand might cramp up from using the smaller diameter bar. I can see it being an excellent bar for a lap steel player, where 7/8" seems like a little too much. The tone and weight are still there.

It is very dense, so there is a considerable amount of weight there (my bar is 3" in length). I find it to be excellent for slanting--very easy to manipulate. For my hand and the style I play, I'm definitely pleased with this bar. This is probably the 10th bar Jim has made for me and there is a certain familiarity that I have with the feel of them. They just feel right for me. He will make them in any length and the price is right.

http://www.bulletbars.com/

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2010 6:44 am    

I am going to try one of these. I usually use a 3/4" and its just too small I think- it's not all that easy to pick up. I was going to try a 7/8" but was afraid it would be a hair big... this sounds better to me.
Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2010 7:56 am    

Mike....thanks so much for writing that about the diameter of the bars and how an 1/8" difference can mean a lot. I have big paws and a 3/4" bar makes me feel like I'm pinching the little thing.

I recently got a 1" Paloma Stoneware bar and that fills my hand nicely. Might try a 7/8" just to see.

Thanks again.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2010 3:04 pm    

So, has anyone else tried this diameter yet? I'm thinking of picking up a few different lengths, I like it that much.

West Virginia
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2010 4:01 pm    

I recieved a 7/8" bar from Jim last month and have been working it into my routine ever since, along with C6. I use a SP2 on the reso and I find it good for muting on electric just by virtue of being able to lift it off the strings. With the large diameter Burden bar lifting is easy and the extra weight forces me to use a lighter touch. Single note work is solid with the big bar too. 156grams for my 3/4 Broz-O-phonic, 164g for the SP2 and 204g for the 7/8 x 3 Burden bar. So maybe the 13/16" will put me closer to what I've use the most when I get fluid with the 3/4".
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2010 8:08 pm    

In the old days, I used a small diameter bar, like 1/2 or 9/16" , but when I got back into this after 40+ years, it was just too hard to hold onto, and I gave it to Jeff Au Hoy, who was using a small bar. Now I have some trouble even with a 3/4" bar, so that new one sounds like an answer. The 7/8" feels too big to me.
Mark Lavelle

San Mateo, CA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2010 6:05 pm    

Mike Neer wrote:
So, has anyone else tried this diameter yet? I'm thinking of picking up a few different lengths, I like it that much.

Not yet, but I've already contacted Jim about a 13/16" bar. I haven't decided on the length, though.

Is 3 in. enough for an 8-string? I'm thinking it's about right or maybe just a tad short...

-- Mark

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2010 12:28 pm    

Hey, does Jim--or anybody--make a sitar bar?

Had a Dunlop; lost it; want another.

Jim's bars are great. I like the indentation in the end, too.

Chris
Jim Burden

Georgetown,Indiana,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2010 3:34 pm     Sitar Bar

I can make you a Buzz Bar. I was playing ( I can't help falling in love) with one and I like it. Can't say I ever thought I would. I am always looking for a clean true sound. Jim Burden Bullet Bars Call me 812-366-3356
Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2010 8:56 am    

Thanks, Jim. I'll do it.

The one you made for me several years ago is outstanding and in constant use.

Chris
K.J. Tucker

Texas
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2010 2:41 pm    

Mike Neer wrote:

Mike :
I have a 1" I got from Jim last year and I am using it more & more it is very comfortable and is a great learning tool, along with my new Jerry Byrd 3" binder I got from Scotty's after Dallas !

Later

Tuck
Cool

If you can read this Thank a Teacher , If it is in English Thank a Soldier !

Luck is preparation meets opportunity............ My Grandmother
Mark Lavelle

San Mateo, CA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2010 9:29 pm     New fan of 13/16"!

I took the plunge and ordered myself a 13/16" x 3" x 4.25 oz. bar last week and it arrived today.

First, it's extremely cool to be able to try out a bar with custom specs for a mere $30 - I can understand why Mike has bought 10!

Second, Jim's quality is A-1. None of the mass-produced SS bars I've seen are as well polished. Also, my Dunlop 920 has a 'step' at the transition from cylinder to hemisphere on the round end that is imperceptible on Jim's bar.

Finally, I'm amazed how little difference in tone & sustain there is between the new bar and my 7.5 oz. Dunlop 920.

So two thumbs up for Jim Burden and his new 13/16" bars...

-- Mark

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2010 6:08 am    

I ordered and received my first Burden Bar recently. 3" length and 15/16" diameter. Fits perfectly in my big paws. Very Happy A heavy little sucker too, which I like.

Roughly one week between sending money thru PayPal until the post office delivered to my door. Great service and man, what a fine bar it is.
Doug Freeman

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2010 3:08 pm    

Mike Neer wrote:

I had Marty Smith make me a bar in this diameter last year, and like you found it to be a great compromise between 3/4" and 7/8". Amazing the difference 1/16" can make.
Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2011 8:58 pm    

Got my second Burden bar today....13/16" diameter and 2 11/16" in length. Fabulous feel, highly maneuverable (sp ?), surprisingly much lighter in comparison to it's tons-of-fun heavyweight older sister (15/16" x 3") than one would expect.

Just great for those times when you only need to use the bullet nose of the bar. Good sustain too.

Perfectly machined and delivered in 1 week.
Rick Stratton

Tujunga, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2011 1:11 pm    

Another endorsement for the 13/16" bar (3" length)
After trying my Shubb SP-2 on my Fender Dual-Pro, I really liked the tone of the heavier bar. (but forget backward slants!)
Tribo-tone doesn't make the "C" weight bar anymore, so this was another option.
It takes a little getting used to (I have smaller hands)
but the extra tone is worth it!
I really like the deep recess on the end, perferct for any slants.
Thanks Jim!
Mitch Crane

1000 Oaks, CA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2011 2:48 pm    

Another enthustiastic endorsement.. just got my 2nd bar also. Love the 13/16" diameter ! 3" and now a 2 3/4" length. Great work !
Mitch Druckman

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2011 8:47 pm    

I just ordered 2 of the 13/16" bars. Thanks to Mike for the heads up.

Jim Burden makes an excellent bullet bar.
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2011 3:25 pm    

I got just got a 13/16" x 3.25" bar from Jim and have been very impressed with it. A few details: Jim does not hollow out his bars like Jim Dunlop, etc., so they are denser. Without actually weighing them, his 13/16" bar seems to have roughly the same total weight as a 7/8" Dunlop 920 which is great because the higher density can make your steel really sing.

I have a Dunlop 918 "Jerry Byrd" 3/4" bar which is very easy to manipulate but for me it doesn't have enough mass to really "sing". Jim's 13/16th bar is like the perfect compromise between the 918 and the 920, with the maneuverability of the first and the mass of the other.

But wait- Jim's bars have still another advantage over the Dunlop and Ernie Ball bars: there is a very smooth taper between the nose and the cylindrical part of the bar (unlike the JD and Ball bars with a very blunt nose). Without that "string bump", Jim Burden's bars let you go smoothly from one string to two strings to all strings.

It did take me a little while to get used to that- I had to let the bar hang over the first string a little bit more than I had with the Dunlop bars, but with the greatly improved maneuverability that is really a non-issue (I mention that only because I was wondering why I kept screwing up playing the first string, getting a buzz rather than a clear tone).

I have never played other custom steel bars so I don't know if they have a similar taper on their nose, but I strongly recommend Jim's bars. If you have just used a Dunlop bar you really don't know what you are missing!

Steve Ahola

P.S. Since Jim will make these bars to the length you specify be sure to figure out what length(s) will work best for you. I temporarily glued a small bottle cap onto the end of my JD 918 bar to determine that 3.25" would fit my hand perfectly. And it does.
P.P.S. If you do want a lighter bar Jim said that he can bore them out.

EDIT I finally got down to the post office to weigh the 13/16th by 3.25" unbored bar and it was 7.1 oz. As I suspected about the same weight as the 7/8" JD-920 bar- but so much better!

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits

Last edited by Steve Ahola on 5 Apr 2011 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Karel van Bezooijen

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2011 11:35 am    

My 13/16" by 3 3/16" bar came today,
and it's smoooooth!!
Can't go wrong with a bar like this,
and Jim's service is very fast.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2011 1:24 pm    

Glad you're all liking these bars. Thanks for reminding me that I need another one!

Indianapolis
Post  Posted 21 May 2011 11:06 am    

Just got my 3x13/16 in the mail. wow. Believe the hype if you don't have one of these. The bullet end gives such a smooth transition from string to string and that little extra bit of girth makes lifting it up off the strings and around the neck so much easier than my JD 918 ever did. I'll buy more.

Concord, California
Post  Posted 21 May 2011 4:52 pm    

Brian Hunter wrote:
Just got my 3x13/16 in the mail. wow. Believe the hype if you don't have one of these. The bullet end gives such a smooth transition from string to string and that little extra bit of girth makes lifting it up off the strings and around the neck so much easier than my JD 918 ever did. I'll buy more.

Amen! I had always figured that a bar was a bar but the bullet end taper that Jim uses is like magic. Actually I think it has everything to do with science, ratios and the particular variety of stainless steel he uses... no $75 magic mojo added to his bars, just the science which gives consistent results. IMO an incredible price for a custom bar made to your specifications.

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits
Dan Schwartz

Bloomington, MN
Post  Posted 21 May 2011 7:01 pm    

Before reading this I loved my John Pearse Lap Steel Bar, but now I'm starting to wonder what I might be missing!
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 22 May 2011 12:44 am    

Dan Schwartz wrote:
Before reading this I loved my John Pearse Lap Steel Bar, but now I'm starting to wonder what I might be missing!

So which John Pearse bar do you use?

http://www.jpstrings.com/braccess.htm#TCBar

It looks like they use the blunter nose of the JD and Ernie Ball steels which might be your preference. The specific topic on this thread is the 13/16th inch diameter bars that Jim makes in whatever length you want. His standard (undrilled) 13/16th bars pretty much have the maneuverability of the 3/4" bar that many people prefer but with the mass of a typical 7/8" bar that is hollowed out. IMO the extra mass allows the string to sing with more resonance. The special taper that Jim uses is a bonus.

Of course, technique trumps everything else and Jerry Byrd was certainly able to get good results from the JD 918 "Jerry Byrd" model tone bar made to his specifications. (I would have loved to hear Jerry play one of Jim's bars.)

Perhaps the strongest point is that Jim will make you a custom bar for $30 to whatever length you want and I believe that he can hollow them out for you for a lighter bar but I don't think that he stuffs them with cork as JD and EB do. (Please correct me if I have some of the details wrong!)