| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Abbie Neal
Ben Rubright

Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2010 6:41 pm    

She was so much a part of my growing up with country music (western PA). I remember her with great fondness. She played non-pedal steel (very much like Don Helms's guitar}....as well as being a great fiddle player. I would invite anyone that remembers her to respond.

http://www.lou-christie.com/abbie.html
Robert Brown

West Mifflin Pa.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2010 7:49 pm    

Ben, I remember Her very well. Growing up in the Turtle Creek (WESTINGHOUSE) valley I used to watch Her show on black and white tv. I remember She was in a car wreck and they put a Speedy West type panel in front of Her steel so you couldn't see her legs. She was a good showman,and steeler.Don't know if You heard we lost Slim Bryant last week. He was 101 years old. He was one of the good'uns also. Bob

Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2010 3:38 am    

I had not heard about Slim Bryant. I certainly remember him and the Wildcats. I never got to see them live but certainly saw them on TV many, many times. Abbie and her Ranch Girls, on the other hand, I got to see and hear in person. I can still name them all. As a matter of fact, Donna Darlene Jackson was a Ranch Girl for a while. I got to talk with her at an ISGC Convention a few year back. Western PA was rich with country music talent back in the '50s. I suspect the Wheeling Jamboree had something to do with it.