| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dio
Johnny Rojas

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2010 7:46 pm    

I'm surprised that no one on the board has recognized the life of the great figure that was Ronnie James Dio. He passed away this past Sunday here in Houston (literally within walking distance of my home) of stomach cancer (I've heard different reports that he died in L.A. or in Houston, but I tend to think it was here, considering the extent of his illness).

He was a true heavy metal legend, and whether you enjoyed his music or not, he was a major influence on musicians for the past thirty years. I am a jazz and country musician, but I can say that Dio and Black Sabbath (who he sang for on four albums over the years) were primary reasons I became so.

Here is a short overview of his life:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/05/16/entertainment/main6490281.shtml

RIP, Ronnie James Dio
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 20 May 2010 8:30 pm    

I guess the Steel Forum isn't a hotbed for metalheads, but he was a giant in his field... all 5' 4" of him.

It's a shame that so many people would classify his music as godless or satanic, when he actually wrote and sang about self-reliance, conquering evil, and his own deeply felt spirituality.

He lived a long, full life and was quite an exceptional vocalist... another quality that many do not associate with heavy metal.

Here's a version of RED TOP he cut back in 1963. Pretty cool.

RIP DIO

Last edited by scott murray on 27 May 2010 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 20 May 2010 8:59 pm    

I saw Dio first with Black Sabbath and then later on with his own band, Dio. He was a terrific singer and showman, and he really was into living the lifestyle that he portrayed in his image. A nice Italian boy from Long Island, Ronald Padavano did pretty good for himself. Actually, one of his first bands, Elf was damn good. I'm sure plenty of folks here would enjoy some of that stuff.

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 20 May 2010 10:43 pm    

My youngest brother had an album by Rainbow with Dio on lead vocal. The song I remember most was one called 'Kill The King'. Mr. Green

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2010 4:25 am    

This is a shock really. I went to school with Ronnie. Actualy, he graduated in 1960 and I graduated in '61. Hid real name was Padavono, and they even named a street after him in Cortland, NY, where we're from. I still remember a version of I Left My Heart in San Francisco that his band did. His drummer used mallets instead of sticks and what an arrangement these guys had.

I later played in a band with his drummer who has passed on also.

When Ronnie played any where in Cortland, you knew there would be a crowd there that night. They were the best. Larry
P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2010 7:36 am    

Wait, you mean no one else on the steelguitarforum has been cranking "Mob Rules" on autorepeat for the past several days?

RJD really was the voice of metal. Consistently great, and I had absolutely NO idea about his early career in the doo wop scene. Plus, how many other guys can take credit for coming up with the "devil horns" hand sign?

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2010 10:41 am    

I'm always cranking Dio and Ozzy Sabbath, so Ronnie's much too early passing was/is met with the deserved roar my day usually is.

I got to see the very first gig the Heaven And Hell line-up ever played, Aloha Stm./Honolulu/1980, and they were of course great, especially doing their own H&H material.
I was more than happy to see them eventually toss the Ozzy songs and give RJD his own, and this last tour was full of promises for an even brighter future. Dio had much more to give us.

Here he is doing Areosmith's Dream On with Yngwie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOtoypu0RpA&feature=related

Thanx Ronnie!
Johnny Rojas

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2010 10:53 pm    

It's good to see some fellow fans on here. Just got done cranking The Last In Line album.

We will miss him. Thanks for showing your appreciation for his wonderful career.
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 21 May 2010 11:15 pm    

Sad news, I didnt know this!
I always liked his music.
I saw Dio in concert here just a few years ago for the first time.
He sang as good as ever!
RIP Ronnie.

Clete
Chuck Thompson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2010 11:23 am    

I wasnt a super big fan of alot of the music but boy what a voice and talent. That cannot be denied. I had no idea his career spanned that far back. I first became aware of him in the black sabbath rainbow days. The aerosmith cover is excellent.
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2010 7:45 pm    

I never met Ron, but a band I play with opened for George Lynch's Lynch Mob, and that guy's a shredder.
Dave Biller

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2010 9:46 pm    

Thanks for posting this Johnny. Yes I am a big Dio fan (though it may seem odd for a guy who makes his living playing Ray Price and Johnny Bush music). Here is some classic Dio for ya;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ3OjffJ1w0

Mr. Green

Last edited by Dave Biller on 23 May 2010 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 May 2010 1:42 am    

It is always a sad occassion when a world class musician passes regardless of his or her choice of music. Jody.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 23 May 2010 8:23 am    

Here is one of my favorites from his pre-Rainbow days, with his band Elf:
Carolina County Ball
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU7oH_C_2UM

I have all 3 of their LPs. Little known fact: Dio played bass with the group for a few years until they freed him to become the front man.

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2010 3:29 am    

...and now it looks like everyone's favorite "quasi-religious organization", the Westboro Baptist Church, is going to be PICKETING Dio's FUNERAL.

http://www.nme.com/news/black-sabbath/51188

Classy buncha folks.

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2010 10:52 am    

Count me in as one of his fans. He was possibly one of the best vocalists that I have ever heard. I like Artie Shaw, Ray Price and George Jones, but Ronnie was certainly one of my favorites with Deep Purple and Rainbow. I'm sorry that he's gone...

Bill