| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Sho-Buds
Thomas Butler

Robbinsdale, MN
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 9:41 am    

If I went to the pedal steel guitar store in 1977 and told them I wanted to buy an LDG - was there a factory standard copedant? Or were they all set up for the person buying the guitar?

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 6:45 pm     hi

When I ordered muy new D10 Professional in 1972, I was new to pedal steel, did nott give any specs. It came with 8 pedals and one knee lever. Bill Ray added 2 levers in jacksonville for me later.

ernie
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 6:48 pm    

I think they had a standard, but would pull the rods for you if you had something that wasent going standard back then.

Wichita Falls TX
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 7:06 pm    

My Professional came with 2 knee levers in 1971 and I added a third later on. No one asked me my preference, but being a kid moving up from no pedals, I didn't know anyway!
Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 7:18 pm    

Thomas, very interesting question. My guess would be that for first time buyers, a standard set up would have been fine being that the buyer wouldn't know the difference. I'm sure that pro players would have some say what the copedant would be by talking directly to the manufacturer. I bought my first steel, a MSA Universal, in 1979 and had know idea what a pedal steel even was. A friend told me I should have one because not many people played them. I drove about 35 miles from my house with my check book and looked at a few pedal steels at a shop in San Carlos, Ca run by Mark Freed. Sat down at a couple and bought the MSA, a MSA Goodrich volume pedal and a Bosstone, and a Sho-Bud pac-seat.
I went home, figured out where all the chords were and started working in bars 3 months later. Ah, the good old days before tab and such! Nothing against tab and such, trust me.
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 7:44 pm    

Not an expert myself, but my impression is that the factory standard copedent in 1977 on an LDG (or E9th neck on a Pro III--I believe the Pro I and Pro II only had two knee levers factory standard, and the Super Pro had probably not been introduced in '77), absent a purchaser-specified copedent, would have been:

pedals: Emmons setup (A-B-C left to right)
LKL: 4 & 8 1/2 step raise (F)
LKR: 1 & 7 1/2 step raise (G)
RKL: 4 & 8 1/2 step lower (D#/Eb, take your pick)
RKR: 2 Whole step lower (C#) w/ feel stop for D

Don't know if the 9th string C# lower would have been factory standard on RKR or not.

Last edited by Brint Hannay on 4 May 2010 9:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 8:41 pm    

Brint,
I bought a Pro III from Manny`s in `78 and that was the set up, no 9th string lower.
Didn`t order it,just walked in and said:I want a double neck Sho-Bud,please. The guy rang the basement warehouse and up in the elevator it came in about 45 seconds....

Last edited by Olli Haavisto on 4 May 2010 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 9:35 pm    

That's classic, Olli!
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 5:39 am     hi

My story about shobuds is like this.
Shot Jackson and dave Musgtave came to Pensacola Fl. in Feb. 1972 and put on a demonstration of Shobud. afterwards I ordered mine, a Professional, also a packseat, Volume pedal, A Yamaha mixer, A Gretch counntry Gentleman, and a Kowa Piana, all in the same day./ Guess I got carried away, They loaned me a Mavaric to use til mine came in,
Billy Dale Sexton started giving me lessons right away. But I never really started using all the giotar till I found emmons music. I bought the whole years course. then the girl at emmons told me about Jeffran music. I became cuustomer of the year in 1990, and really started learning to pley pedals. But preacking got in the way of advancement, it was only qbout5 yrars ago I really started playing, the gig at quitman brought me out of the colset.

ernie
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 5:54 am    

Tom, my LDG was made in feb. of 77. My set up is exactly like Brian has posted. When I ordered my LDG, I had no clue what the knee levers did. I had a fender 400, and it had no knees. So just went out and ordered one with 4 knee levers. Mine was in a warehouse, already made, and was sent to the music store where I ordered it from. I knew then that 4 knee levers, gave you more options than a steel with less. Also, I was in a recording session, at RCA, and Lloyd was on steel. As we talked, he sold me on his model, by demonstrating the knee changes. When I got back home, I ordered one.

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 6:15 am    

In the 70s each mfgr had its own standard. If you didn't specify you got their standard changes. I played MSA guitars early on and they, Sho-Bud, and probably others lowered E's on RKL. Many players (me included) still prefer that location even though Buddy Emmons changed to LKR with E to F on LKL sometime within that decade. I find more players who started in the 60s or 70s who lower their E's on the right knee than those who started playing pedal steel later.
Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 7:07 am    

That is indeed very true Larry, and many of the Nashville greats are still lowering the E's on the right knee left still today.