| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beginner's first PSG. A $55 Little Buddy!!
Mark Daniels

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 1 May 2010 2:20 pm    

A couple of weeks ago, I wasn’t having the best time with my illness (I suffer from M.E./CFS and chronic pain), so I turned a negative into a positive by using the time to read up on and research pedal steel. I’ve always loved the sound of a pedal steel but it wasn’t until last year that I started to delve into it a bit more. I bought a starter 6 string lap steel from a music store and tuned it to C6. I found that not only was it great fun to play on its own, but that it had a use in the music that I like to create at home.

The goal really was to get a pedal steel, but they were way, way out of my price range. However, I was searching on a site last weekend and found a lap steel for sale. The ad said that the owner had used it to learn on 25 years ago and that it had been kept in the loft. It went on to say that it had been checked, everything works the way it should and that it just needed new strings and a general cleanup.

The steel was advertised as a Little Buddy pedal steel (3 + 1) and after searching this forum, I found that it’s a beginner pedal steel built by Freeman Cowgar of Cougar guitars. I also found that I can add extra knees as and when. It may not be good enough for an experienced player, but for me it's just the thing.

I contacted the seller and he confirmed it was still for sale. Problem was that it was about 500 miles away from me! However, it was only hour’s drive away from my parents place so I rang them up and asked if they’d go and get it for me. I arranged everything with the seller, sent the money to my parents and they made the trip this morning. It’s now safely at their place, so after they’ve weighed it for me and put it in a cardboard box, I’ll organise a courier to pick it up and bring it to me in Glasgow.

So I’m really excited about it. After never thinking I’d ever be able to find one I could afford, I own a pedal steel.

The price? £35 (about $55).

Last edited by Mark Daniels on 12 May 2010 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2010 2:26 pm    

got to say , thats a hell of a deal , can't even buy a tuner for that !!! best of luck to you

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Will Hesch

Atascadero, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2010 4:10 pm    

Mark, good for you, not too many deals like that these days, you scored! I hope you have many years of pleasure playing that guitar.
www.coolfoot.biz
www.mend-it.com
Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 May 2010 9:26 pm    

Congratulations on the new pedal steel. You definitely got a great deal...you'll have a lot of fun with it!

Italy
Post  Posted 2 May 2010 1:45 am     Re: Beginner buys his first pedal steel

I’m really excited about it.

Hi Mark Welcome to PSG owners !!
I also received my first PSG (Williams) 2 months ago and I'm stiil loosing some sleep thinking about how to improve technics etc..
So I'm sure it is happening also to you.

This forum is full of great musicians and good persons, so as I do , ask for any topics you need, you will find a good help.

Great deal.
My Best

www.hatsandspurs.it
Bluegrass and country music band
RED Williams PSG, Hilton PV, StroboFlip tuner, Bluegrass Mandolin, Guitar, Banjo, Dobro.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 2 May 2010 8:19 am     Re: Beginner buys his first pedal steel

Mark Daniels wrote:
I can add extra knees

You should add 3 more knee levers ASAP. Very soon you will read about what those levers do, and you'll want to start using them, and if you don't have them you'll be frustrated. You want your guitar to be able to handle whatever you want to play as you learn more.

It's better to have stuff on your guitar that you don't need (yet) than to need stuff that you don't have.
John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2010 9:55 am    

With all due respect to Mr Perlowin I have heard a lot of great music made by good players with really limited set-ups. There is a lot to be said for really learning all you can do with a simple set-up, and finding creative work-arounds for note combinations you need.

That being said, 30 years ago when I got my first Sho-Bud with 3 & 2 I did add 2 more KLs as soon as I could! Mr. Green
Mark Daniels

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 2 May 2010 10:01 am    

Really looking forward to getting to grips with a pedal steel. It'll be frustrating at times but the progress will rewarding.

Adding knees will be another thing to learn and a good way to get a handle on how the steel works.

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2010 10:51 am    

Whilst awaiting additional knee levers, you could pass the time imitating Jimmy Day's album "Steel and Strings".
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 2 May 2010 11:08 am    

I have to concede that John is right about a lot of great music being played on limited setups. Heck, i didn't use any on my knee levers at all on the song I play in that rock video I post from time to time.(Not that I think it's all that great.)

But much of today's instructional material is written for guitars with 4 knee levers. There's a reason why the Carter Starter, Stage One, and other modern student guitars all have that many.

I read about the E to F raise two seeks after I started playing (on a borrowed maverick with one knee lever) and as soon as I did, I understood how to use it, wanted to use it, and was frustrated that I didn't have it. Regardless of how many years it took the pioneers to discover changes like E to F and B to Bb, it only takes us 30 seconds to read about them
Brandon Wright

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2010 2:07 am     Rock and Roll vato

it is frustrating starting out in the first 2 months. I put in about 15-30 hours a week atleast and i've improved alot since Febuary of this year. Playing steel is like a part time job along with my regular job, My booze and wild women. Its funny how you can always find time for the things you love.

you'll be kicking A on the Irish side here pretty soon. Making that steel bark thunder and lightning from the sky when you hop on the thrown.
Mark Daniels

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 3:30 pm    

It's going to be a challenge.

Looks like I'll get the steel early next week. In the meantime, I've ordered some instructional material which I can look at before the big day.

I'm a bass player mainly and when I type on bass forums, I always try and help the beginners or those with problems. Now I'm seeing what it's like on the other side of the coin and I have to say that this forum is incredibly helpful to those starting their PSG journey.

Central California USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 4:01 pm     Psg

Way to go, Mark....I'm a newbie too...I bought a Carter D10 about two weeks ago..........learned to play Cold, Cold Heart w/o the pedals so far...ta da!!
If I can do it so can you......Good luck..........Dan
Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 6:55 pm    

Congrats Mark,

I, like Dan just got my first steel 2 weeks ago as well. It's been a ton of fun so far, frustrating at times, but that comes with the territory. lol

This board is awesome, there is so much info and assistance here it is incredible.

Keith
Mark Daniels

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 9 May 2010 3:45 pm    

Agreed. I'd be absolutely clueless if I didn't use this site.

Well the steel's all ready for its 500 mile journey north. Should be collected Tuesday and delivered Wednesday (the UK is only about 600 miles from top to bottom).

My Dad's put a lot of effort into the packaging. He's used all of the 25ft roll of Gaffa Tape that I sent down there.

Can't wait to open the case. Very Happy

By the way, it weighs 19kg (42lbs) and I thought it was going to cost a lot to send it all the way here. However, I use www.p4d.co.uk and it's only cost £12 !!!!

I've used them before and I'd definitely recommend them. They do international delivery as well, but I've only sent stuff in the UK so far, so can't comment on their international prices.

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2010 5:15 pm     Re: Beginner buys his first pedal steel

Mike Perlowin wrote:

It's better to have stuff on your guitar that you don't need (yet) than to need stuff that you don't have.

I Fully agree. The key word being "yet".

Mitch
Mark Daniels

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 12 May 2010 2:06 pm    

Well it arrived today!

I only got to sorting it out this evening as I was doing an urgent setup for a local bassist. Inside the box was a copy of the Winnie Winston book and I'd just bought a copy. I didn't feel too bad as it didn't have a tape with it.

Anyway, pics say more than words.

It needs a good clean and a new set of strings, but things seem to work. Diva seems to like it as well Laughing

I found this sheet of newspaper.

and a bar with a mystery 'ZB' on the bottom

I'll take the keyhead off tomorrow so I can clean it properly. if one you thinks that I should just clean around it just shout!

Then the long road of starting to play begins.....

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2010 2:16 pm    

i would say just clean it where it is
don't go taking things apart until you get much
more experence

just my 2 cents

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2010 2:51 pm    

Earnest Bovine wrote:
Whilst awaiting additional knee levers, you could pass the time imitating Jimmy Day's album "Steel and Strings".

Jimmy didnt have knee levers on thyat one?

That album is just awesome!! Only bummer is that it appears to be recorded flat or sharp and so unless you are listening on a turntable or disc player with adjustable speed, you need to retune your guitar to the record which makes it a bit hard a to use as a learning tool for a beginner. I wish I had the vinyl instead of the cd. i may have to order it from bOb and sell the cd. The cd has "Golden HIts" in addition to the Steel and Strings album but Steel and Strings is in every way superior. shoot , im gonna go ahead and do that.
Mark Daniels

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 12 May 2010 4:32 pm    

Calvin Walley wrote:
i would say just clean it where it is
don't go taking things apart until you get much
more experence

just my 2 cents

Thanks for the advice. I'll use a small brush and a vacuum. That should do the trick Smile

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 12 May 2010 5:45 pm    

That's hell of a deal for thirty-five quid. It must have cost you more than that in postage. Winking
Mark Daniels

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 13 May 2010 8:29 am    

That's what I thought as well as it weighs 19kg (42lbs)

I use www.p4d.co.uk as they have bulk deals with the big couriers. When you've typed in the size, weight and delivery/collection addresses, you get a choice of service & courier. DHL 24hr was £11.90 odd!!

I've used them before and I'd definitely recommend them. They do international delivery as well, but I've only sent stuff in the UK so far, so can't comment on their international prices.

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 13 May 2010 8:46 am    

As i said earlier, sooner or later you'll want to add 3 more knee levers, but until you do, you might want to get Winnie Winston's book, " Pedal Steel Guitar" published by Oak Publications. While much of today's instruction material is written for guitars with 4 knee levers, this one is written for a 3 pedal 1 knee lever setup. Many of us here, including me, learned from this book when we first started out.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2010 10:46 am    

A ZB bar! Cool!
Brandon Wright

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2010 11:50 am     yes sir

i can dig them lone star inlays you got there going on cowboy

I'm a have to give you a big ole salute coming from the A town Texas.

makes me wanna say

Weee doggy