| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel Music Scanning Software
Chris Newell

Ojai, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2010 11:23 pm    

Just wanted to alert the folks on the Forum that SmartScore Guitar Edition ($75) lets you scan in both standard notation and TAB notation and play it back, transpose and reprint. It can also can convert standard notation to steel guitar TAB (E9 or C6).

Check it out here:
http://www.musitek.com

Cheers.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2010 3:29 am    

That is very cool! However, there doesn't appear to be any reference to pedals or levers, so I assume that we are talking about the bare tuning and the bar to get the notes.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
bob Ousby

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2010 3:36 am    

Hi Chris...In the TAB format, will it notate pedals & levers? Standard Emmons?...Bob
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2010 7:41 am    

Why not just LEARN HOW TO READ MUSIC? Why is everybody so afraid of this. Learning how to read won't make you forget how to play.

This anti-reading attitude on the part of so many players is hurting our instrument. One of the obstacles I've encountered in attempting to present the steel to the classical music community is a belief by some people that the steel is not even a real instrument, but more of a toy more or less on the same level as a comb and tissue paper.

This anti-reading attitude feeds that perception.

As I've previously mentioned, I've written a short article about how to read music on the E9 neck, which I will send for free to anybody who requests it. (I have to send it in an E-mail as an attached file, so if you want it, send me an E-mail, not a PM, so I have your E-ddress.)
Chris Newell

Ojai, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2010 9:23 am    

Hi Guys
Guess I may have opened a can of worms here. Without getting into the notation vs. TAB argument, here are some of the advantages and limitations pedal steel players would find with SmartScore...
The TAB feature in SmartScore allows for customizing any number of strings and tunings and saving them with a unique template name. Also, the TAB editor allows for changing and deleting note values and fret numbering. The conversion algorithm favors guitar players... that is to say, it favors lower neck positions and limits fret spans. Unfortunately, there are no lever or pedal markings. These would need to be entered in non-digitally (e.g. pencil). But it's a good starting point. There is no "try again" or "favor this position" feature. Remember that SmartScore is primarily designed to scan in printed sheet music, play it back, transpose the key and print back out.
Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2010 9:52 am    

I read music but not on sight ie I have to
pull and tug at it.

This looks very interesting and "fun" to
boot. My main problem with reading music
per se is my use of several tunings C6th,
Leavitt, A6th, E9th, G Major, A major etc.

I think this software would be a great
tool for the Leavitt tuning especially.

Thanks for the heads up Chris. Very Happy
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2010 12:24 pm    

Sounds great but TablEdit is only $59.97. not even $6o bucks.
Chris Newell

Ojai, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2010 12:55 pm    

TablEdit is great software. But it doesn't scan notation or TAB sheet music.
Mark Butcher

Scotland
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2010 1:51 pm    

Having used Finale, Guitar Pro, Logic etc over many years I would be very surprised if you can just scan in and print out without doing a lot of correction.

Entering music into Finale etc is very quick once you put a bit of effort into learning how and you can customise any tuning on as many strings as you like.

Dealing with Pedals and Levers would need custom written software that nobody is likely to write for such a small market. I make a bare ten space tab with the notation (for timing) above it in Finale then export that to a graphics program. I write my frets and pedals in once I have worked them out on a paper print out. Long winded but it gets it right.

Mike, I'd love to read music I've been trying to for 40 years. Reading tab takes so much of my attention that musicality goes out the window! I never learn anything I read either just have to keep reading. I guess my brain just doesn't work that way.
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2010 3:33 pm    

I have it and it is useful for learning the melody of a song. I also got the jazz fake book with only melodies, I can load any song and it will display where the notes are, I can then use my brain to work out if and where I can use the pedals or knee leavers. another use is finding any scale , It is a good tool to have if you are starting out on the steel
Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2010 10:15 am    

I must heartily second Mike Perlowin's stance regarding the reading of standard notation. One needs only to scan the threads here on the Forum in which members are requesting tabs for given tunes only to find that they are nonexistent. What does one do then, folks? If people were to learn to read then they wouldn't be scratching their heads over the absense of a particular tab. Just reach into your bag of musical tools and have at it on your own!

Be mindful of the fact that, quite often, tab is simply a starting point. Your musical tastes may dictate a slightly different approach than the author of your tab. If you read standard notation then you're in a much better position to make the alterations which suit your musical sensibilities.
Kevin LaFond

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2015 11:31 am    

you wouldn't only have to learn how to read music, you would also have to know every note on the guitar. It is way easier to look at tab if it's available. I'm not saying you shouldn't learn both... Knowledge is power.

Ojai, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2015 11:52 am    

Unfortunately, SmartScore's TAB function hasn't any lever or pedal extensions. Those attributes may be added at some later date. But for converting notation to TAB for lap steel (and 6 and 4-string guitar / bass), it's a complete tool.