| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kevin Hatton's Cases
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2010 1:18 pm    

I just received my new split cases from Kevin, and they're great! As much as I hate adding a fourth piece of equipment (2 cases for the steel plus amp and seat), I'm getting tired of hauling my Zum around (I'm not getting any younger!), and Kevin convinced me that split cases is the way to go. The main case has encased wheels and is 20 pounds lighter than before. It's custom built and my guitar is very snug and protected in the case. Both cases are beautiful blond Fender tweed. If you order, it might take a little extra time because he's getting a lot of orders. Here's the site: http://www.hattoncases.net/

Joe
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2010 5:07 am    

I also just got my case for my SGI S-10 from Kevin: snug and solid. Kevin is very conscientious about getting everything right and it shows in his workmanship. Highly recommended.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2010 3:25 am    

I'm expecting a second set of cases from Kevin anytime. The previous set for my ShoBud Pro III were the standard black, but the new ones for my D10 Emmons push pull are the tweed & gold. Can't wait.

Ken
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2010 1:37 pm    

I think the black cases sound the best....
Danny Hall

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2010 4:22 pm    

Dnt Undrstnd. So two trips with two cases is better than one with wheels? Do the combined two cases weigh 20 lbs less than a single case with room for legs and pedals?

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2010 5:42 pm    

A case w/ wheels is still equally heavy as a case w/o wheels to lift in and out of a car or truck. This becomes more important the older you get.

Lifting 2 lighter cases individually, poses less risk of lumbar disc herniation (screwing up your back) than one heavier one.
Danny Hall

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2010 6:09 pm    

I know all about lumbar disk hernias. I had a 4/5 lower left lumbar laminotomy (snip not fusion) in '99. I get it I guess. My MSA Classic SD10 case weighs more than the dang guitar. So I'm looking for something. I just don't like making two trips. The cases could be easily strapped together I'm guessing.

I have a ramp on the pickup to get my geriatric dogs in and out of the truck. I know I'm not lifting that guitar in it's current case off the ground and into the back. Twin Reverbs are for kids.

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2010 6:37 pm    

Tony, my body case WITH wheels is 6-7 pounds average lighter that a one piece standard case. Its in the design and construction. Add the removal of the pedal rack and legs to that and your down around 18-20 pounds. In some cases like Sho-Buds and Emmons push pull you are down 21-22 pounds. Wheeling the light weight body case in your right hand (your already down 20 pounds) and carrying the pedal rack and legs in your left hand in a light weight leg case is quite manageable. No need for two trips at all. Makes going from the parking lot to the stage an absolute breeze wheeling the light weight body case in your right hand. Lifting a body case with wheels thats 20-22 pounds lighter than a combined heavy load is quite a bit easier also. www.hattoncases.net
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2010 7:39 pm    

Kevin Hatton wrote:
Tony, my body case WITH wheels is 6-7 pounds average lighter that a one piece standard case...... www.hattoncases.net

Be that as it may. My point was that no matter how lightweight a case is, it will always be easier on the back to split the load (e.g. 2 cases).
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2010 8:27 pm    

I Have a 76 MSA S-10. Cut the case down Just the body fits in the case, Carry everything else in a gig bag. Smile That and my NV=112 [the best thing that ever came along for a steeler] has really Very Happy helped my old back. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2010 6:46 am    

Charles Davidson wrote:
I Have a 76 MSA S-10. Cut the case down Just the body fits in the case, Carry everything else in a gig bag. Smile That and my NV=112 [the best thing that ever came along for a steeler] has really Very Happy helped my old back. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Now there's a plan. Good thinkin' Bama. I'm going to weigh the whole case though first. I'm thinkin' it's gotta be 35 pounds.

I'm also thinking of making an ATA style case with no wood at all. Angle, aluminum sheet, high density foam, corners and hardware etc. I'm actually pretty skilled at those kind of exercises. But here I go stealing Keven's thread. I still like the legs and pedals separate though. You guys got me convinced.

Sorry
Danny

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2010 4:18 pm    

deleted

Last edited by John Swain on 25 Apr 2010 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2010 5:37 pm    

I resent that John. Go advertise on someone else's thread. How low class.
John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2010 8:05 am    

deleted

Last edited by John Swain on 25 Apr 2010 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2010 8:30 am    

John Swain wrote:
Kevin, I'm sorry you feel that way.I didn't think this was "your" thread,............JS

Doesn't the topic title give a clue? Kevin Hatton's Cases.

It was someone extolling the virtues of this particular manufacturer's cases.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2010 9:24 am    

John Swain wrote:
Kevin, I'm sorry you feel that way.I didn't think this was "your" thread, and I have no vested interest anyway..The thread was turning toward light-weight alternatives and I offered one..JS

I agree w/ John. Nobody owns this thread, and he's not advertising.

The basic function of the forum is to enhance the flow of information available to steel players. Why would we want to censor that flow?

Kevin makes great cases, but other builders do also. It never hurts to be aware of all the alternatives.
Bill Fisher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2010 11:15 am    

I dissagree, Tony: The "author" of the post makes the decision what to talk about. If you want to talk about cases in general, then start a post with the heading "guitar cases". That's where you would discuss all brands. My opinion, of course.

Bill
Danny Hall

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2010 12:20 pm    

Oh horsefeathers. Bob makes all the decisions on thread content. Arbitrary, capricious and final! Very Happy

Just kidding....

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2010 3:06 pm    

Bill, I DISAGREE with a tunnel-vision approach to any thread.

I think that a thread can start a chain reaction of discussion. Comments that compare, contrast or point out similarities between any given product with another are germane to the topic.

Now, if someone had hijacked the thread, and showed disrespect for either Mr Hatton or his products, that's one thing. In this case, John just mentioned another lightweight alternative on the market. I'm pretty sure that unless b0b states otherwise, the first amendment of the U.S. Constitution still applies on the SGF.

A good example of free discussion, is this thread: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=121855&highlight= ...... It looks like Don's business survived the comparative discussion between his bar-holder and the competition.

That said, I know Kevin's product quality compares very favorably w/ that of his competitors, and have no problem extolling his case's virtues.
Duncan MacKinnon

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2023 9:16 am     Hatton Split Cases

I just picked up a split case for my MSA Classic S-12 from Kevin and it looks fantastic. Got it back home and my guitar fits like a glove. Couldn’t have asked for a better all-around experience, from placing the order to picking up the case. And if you’re a player in southern Ontario like me, make a weekend out of it in Buffalo and save on shipping and duty.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2023 11:08 am    

Unless you have the spine of an 18-year-old and/or a forklift, split cases are the way to go.If I were working more, I'd certainly have already talked with Kevin!
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2023 11:59 am    

Well it's been 13 years since my original post. The cases are still working fine. The main case has some fraying from much wear, but will probably go another 13 years. Good to hear that Kevin is still making these cases. I haven't seen any posts from him and feared the worst. I still strongly recommend these cases to reduce the weight and the tweed still looks great.

Joe
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2023 1:40 pm    

Yes; anytime/every time a customer wanted/needed a case made for the Sho~Bud I am restoring/setting up..etc. I always entrusted Kevin and of course everyone was very pleased with his results and for the BIG STORY: when I finished restoring the famous "Lightening Bolt" Sho~Bud Fingertip that was Lloyd Green's and played on countless huge hits and albums from 1966 to 1970; and Texas Farmer bought and had me do the work. I had Kevin make the two-case retro-design; as seen Gary and friend loading it on private Jet to fly it to Lloyd to play and then eventually go in the "Country Music Hall Of Fame Museum" behind glass which is currently still there.

Bless you Kevin; everyone LOVED the cases and Lloyd Green thought that was a Class Act; making those cases for the Sho~Bud Fingertip.
Ricky