| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Old acoustic Oahu lap steel
Sasha Kostadinov

Lakewood, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2010 7:32 am    

I picked up an old acoustic Oahu lap steel this weekend and I thought I'd ask for some advice. It appears to be all original except for the tuners, which I want to replace. Anyone have any suggestions on where I should go to get a good and time-appropriate replacement set of tuners? Also, the nut needs to be replaced. Right now I have a metal nut extender on it. Should I leave it like this since the nut appears original, or should I just go and replace the nut? The nut extender sounds good, but I bet a good bone nut would sound even better and look better too. The guitar sounds like pure blues to me and I don't want to corrupt it.

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2010 7:41 am    

http://www.stewmac.com

they have parts.
Fred Kinbom

Berlin, Germany, via Stockholm, Sweden.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2010 12:12 pm    

The student model Oahus (sunburst birch guitars with painted "binding" and metal bridge - is it one of those you've got?) had metal nut extenders "stock" as far as I know.

Fred

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2010 12:33 pm    

That's what I heard too Fred.
Sasha Kostadinov

Lakewood, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2010 1:27 pm    

Thanks. It does sound like it is the student model. The sound hole has white painted "binding" and the bridge is metal. I didn't examine the nut closely (wanted to play it to bad), but it looked like it was made of wood. I'll take the nut extender off and post some pics later.